Dog advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah that's the thing with black nails. One of mine had black ones and I cut the quick by accident a few times. My first two dogs didn't have any but my second two did front and back! The boy I have now just has front dew claws. My vet is soooo expensive it's like £50 just for the consultation let alone anything else but I've been going since I was a teenager so stick with them as I do trust them.
£50 is soo expensive though! You're in the same area as me, I used to use the same vets for many years, what did it for me was my I had to put my boy pts, he loved riding in our truck, so I spoke to vet to have him pts in truck, she quibbled about it, but agreed, I'm in the back of truck holding him, she says better off in surgery, I'm like no ( he was really docile, lovely little dog) so she injects him, I'm holding him, reassuring him, crying, she's checking his mouth, then says, oh his teeth are quite worn down, probably cos of stones, I didn't pick up on that for a while, upset over losing my boy, but what the actual duck, what a thing to say, and she'd been his vet for years, I ended up being so angry with them, I did complain to them, but they weren't interested, so moved my other dog to another practice, not keen on this one either.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I'm abit squeamish when it comes to claws, and his dew claw is black so couldn't see the blood vein.
Was annoyed because he didn't have an injection to numb it, they literally just pulled it out. No wonder he cried, another bad vet experience for him.
---

Come on, vets are doing well, we changed vets recently, couldn't get over how many staff there was, and the first thing I get asked is, is your dog insured, so they can make more money and the insurance pays for it.
How much does your practice charge for pulling out a dew claw?
Insurance usually just means they are able to do a higher standard of testing etc or referral. Obviously will offer this anyway but without insurance a lot of owners won’t be able to afford the gold standard of care so vets will likely go for the testing that they think is most likely to find the issue. Whereas if insured it’s more likely owners can afford more and therefore do it all at once instead of staggering from most likely to find the issue to least likely…

• Heart
Insurance usually just means they are able to do a higher standard of testing etc or referral. Obviously will offer this anyway but without insurance a lot of owners won’t be able to afford the gold standard of care so vets will likely go for the testing that they think is most likely to find the issue. Whereas if insured it’s more likely owners can afford more and therefore do it all at once instead of staggering from most likely to find the issue to least likely…
Have to disagree with you on this one, the insurance is just a ploy for vets to make more money.
I've had awful experiences with pet insurance over the years, read the small print, they really don't like paying out, and the exemptions, id rather get a credit card to pay for vet bills, nice to know I won't get the gold standard of care, cos of no insurance. I've had dogs all my life, yep am an oldie, my boy had to have an op couple years ago, his testicles never dropped, worried about cancer etc, booked him in, had to pay over £500 before I could see him,
his stitches were awful, I was so worried about him, their attitude, he's a collie, so obviously a farm dog, they shaved his belly soo much, cos he was dirty, he wasn't, they just presumed because of his breed.

• Angry
Have to disagree with you on this one, the insurance is just a ploy for vets to make more money.
I've had awful experiences with pet insurance over the years, read the small print, they really don't like paying out, and the exemptions, id rather get a credit card to pay for vet bills, nice to know I won't get the gold standard of care, cos of no insurance. I've had dogs all my life, yep am an oldie, my boy had to have an op couple years ago, his testicles never dropped, worried about cancer etc, booked him in, had to pay over £500 before I could see him,
his stitches were awful, I was so worried about him, their attitude, he's a collie, so obviously a farm dog, they shaved his belly soo much, cos he was dirty, he wasn't, they just presumed because of his breed.
I didnt say you wouldn’t get gold standard care if no insurance? I just said it’s more likely someone with insurance could afford it. I said ‘they’d obviously offer it’, it’s just more likely the vets would have to come up with a cheaper alternative if no insurance

I didnt say you wouldn’t get gold standard care if no insurance? I just said it’s more likely someone with insurance could afford it. I said ‘they’d obviously offer it’, it’s just more likely the vets would have to come up with a cheaper alternative if no insurance
Not all of us can afford insurance, so don't get the gold standard care.
And before I get berated, I've had dogs all of my life, doesn't make you a bad owner for not having it, I've loved and cared for all of my animals and have found the money, the booster jab every year is also a rip off.

Not all insurance is the same, some like Petplan generally pay out no quibbles and the premium on PP doesnt seem to increase at the rate others do even if youve made a claim. It is more expensive usually for the premium.

If your dog ends up needing medication for the rest of their life, having taken a good quality all of life policy would work out well for you.

A broken leg can cost 7 or 8 grand.

It is my own experience that some insurers are not worth paying a penny. We were stung by perfect pet, also heard horror stories from Animal Friends. However some are worth the money and Ive had whole bills minus excess covered.

Its all a gamble really, you could put the money into a bank account every month as a savings account and keep it. Your dog never gets unwell or doesnt needs anything in its life youve won a watch and have a savings pot. However you could suffer one incident after another and run out of money quickly.

If you have good quality insurance its worth its weight in gold. The poorer insurers probably not worth it in all honesty. They sometimes wont even cover the out of hours fee if they dont deem it 'life saving' and stuff like eating poisonous foods is not considered this by them despite the vet advising it is.

• Heart
Then I wonder why so many of my colleagues leave the profession 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Maybe I've been going to the wrong vets with all my animals, one girl (collie) ended up with pancreatitis, she was so poorly one night, rung vets, took her late at night, his first thing he said, oh look she's wee'd on the floor, she was very timid, and he didn't have a nurse with him, so he had to mop up floor, that's another example of poor vet care, I have a list tbh, most of them are only interested in the money.

Not all of us can afford insurance, so don't get the gold standard care.
And before I get berated, I've had dogs all of my life, doesn't make you a bad owner for not having it, I've loved and cared for all of my animals and have found the money, the booster jab every year is also a rip off.
A rip off even though if your dog got one of the diseases it helps to prevent then you’d have a huge vet bill most likely. I’d rather pay for a yearly booster than say 5k in treatment for parvo which may end up with a dead dog still 🤷‍♀️
---
Maybe I've been going to the wrong vets with all my animals, one girl (collie) ended up with pancreatitis, she was so poorly one night, rung vets, took her late at night, his first thing he said, oh look she's wee'd on the floor, she was very timid, and he didn't have a nurse with him, so he had to mop up floor, that's another example of poor vet care, I have a list tbh, most of them are only interested in the money.
What’s the poor vet care? She wee’d, he noticed and cleaned it up? Maybe there was a nurse on call? Doesn’t mean they have to be there all the time, maybe they were on their way?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Then I wonder why so many of my colleagues leave the profession 🤣🤣🤣🤣
My opinion on the vets, thanks for angry and laughing likes.
So this is your response, where have they gone, packing shelves in tescos?
These have been my experiences with vets, surprised you didn't laugh at what the vet said when I had my boy pts.
Oh and I'm not petty enough to leave you an angry face.

My opinion on the vets, thanks for angry and laughing likes.
So this is your response, where have they gone, packing shelves in tescos?
These have been my experiences with vets, surprised you didn't laugh at what the vet said when I had my boy pts.
Oh and I'm not petty enough to leave you an angry face.
Imagine working so hard and studying for so many years, accumulating lots of debt and a pitiful wage (yes I don’t earn a nice wage no matter what anyone says), only to have someone besmirching your whole profession based on their experience.

I would never laugh at your PTS experience and I’m
so sorry you were made to feel that way during such a horrible moment. But that experience can’t then be used to paint the whole profession in a poor light. There are good and bad people in every profession. Mechanics, teachers, doctors, hairdressers. It’s so disheartening to work yourself to the bone, absolutely adoring all of your patients, to then read stuff like this. Your replies suggest you can be just as petty here.

And plenty have left the profession, we’re currently in a staffing crisis. Many have left to go work in other forms of animal care, work abroad, in education etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Former_Antelopee do your research on the yearly booster, I've never done it with my dogs, and they've never died because of not having it. Blimey, this thread has taken a turn, oh well, you all obviously know better then me, but I know my dogs, and am a fuckin good animal owner
Imagine working so hard and studying for so many years, accumulating lots of debt and a pitiful wage (yes I don’t earn a nice wage no matter what anyone says), only to have someone besmirching your whole profession based on their experience.

I would never laugh at your PTS experience and I’m
so sorry you were made to feel that way during such a horrible moment. But that experience can’t then be used to paint the whole profession in a poor light. There are good and bad people in every profession. Mechanics, teachers, doctors, hairdressers. It’s so disheartening to work yourself to the bone, absolutely adoring all of your patients, to then read stuff like this. Your replies suggest you can be just as petty here.

And plenty have left the profession, we’re currently in a staffing crisis. Many have left to go work in other forms of animal care, work abroad, in education etc.
Sorry for being petty about my experience how I lost my boy.

@Former_Antelopee do your research on the yearly booster, I've never done it with my dogs, and they've never died because of not having it. Blimey, this thread has taken a turn, oh well, you all obviously know better then me, but I know my dogs, and am a fuckin good animal owner

I was referring to your comments on my profession, not your dog. Stop twisting my words. I never once made comment on your PTS experience? This was based on your other replies.

Anyway, we’re going around in circles and you clearly have made your mind up about all veterinary professionals so I’m out 🫡

I’d rather my dog be covered in case, as I said I’d rather the yearly fee of that than the increased risk of getting the illness due to not having vaccines.
I could have titre testing but then that’s additional money 🤷‍♀️
No one even said you were a bad owner? Or said anything about your pts experience? If someone wants to use a credit card or savings or whatever to pay for care then whatever

• Heart
I was referring to your comments on my profession, not your dog. Stop twisting my words. I never once made comment on your PTS experience? This was based on your other replies.

Anyway, we’re going around in circles and you clearly have made your mind up about all veterinary professionals so I’m out 🫡
Can I ask about your profession, you a vet, a nurse?
Yep we're going to disagree on this thread, I've had awful issues with vets, just sharing my own experiences.

Maybe you’re just lucky? I had a dog who died from parvo and it was horrific to watch happen.

If you think dog insurance and small vets are expensive try having a horse, that’s horrifically expensive and the call out fees really high.

• Sad
I had it until I found out who I was with refused s many genuine claims for stupid reasons. Say they had stomach cancer and had perviously been the vet for a tummy bug in their life. That exclueds the whole stomach in future. I put money aside now.
---
Yep agree
---
OMG one of my boys becam seriously ill, rushed him to the emergncy vet with it being a Sunday but when I came to get him to transfer him to my own vet they refused to let me see him until I paid in full. I was so upset. I had they money but how bleeping heartless.
---
I'll give another, I discovered (won't say how) nobody is on the prmesis at night for the sick pets there staying over. I find that terrible, they just as well be with me and go back in the morning. Why pay for overnight hospitalisation? Also my vet charges a cage fee on top for when they go in for dentaland stuff and are crated. I give them the flippin papers all the time for the cages plus nw they don't give them a meal after either.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Maybe you’re just lucky? I had a dog who died from parvo and it was horrific to watch happen.

If you think dog insurance and small vets are expensive try having a horse, that’s horrifically expensive and the call out fees really high.
I've had farm animals, so yep I know how expensive the call outs are.

Has anyone done the bronze Kennel club good citizen training? My puppy classes finish this week so trying to decide whether it's worth to do the bronze award.
I've signed up for recall classes because at the time there wasn't any bronze awards I could make it to due to work, but now they've released more dates which will perfectly line up with when I'd finish recall class.