Dog advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know there's a puppy thread, but haven't seen one for just dog advice, so I thought it would be good for any problems to share.
I'll start, has anyone had dogs who have suffered with fits/seizures? My old terrier used to have them, not often, not enough to have meds, but this week, my collie had a funny turn, and the symptoms reminded so much of my oldie, am hoping it's a one off, but it's still a worry.

You need to speak to a vet. Do you have insurance? Some insurances provide a phone number for a phone consultation.
They could have eaten something they shouldn’t, have there been any toileting issues? I’d probably rule that out first but still speak to a vet

Reactions: 1
You need to speak to a vet. Do you have insurance? Some insurances provide a phone number for a phone consultation.
They could have eaten something they shouldn’t, have there been any toileting issues? I’d probably rule that out first but still speak to a vet
Thank you, I'm going to see how he goes before asking vet, I'm hoping it justs a one off, my last dog, took him to vets about it, they didn't do anything as he wasn't having them very often so they didn't want to put him on meds

What was the funny turn? A one-off seizure could be the sign of another issue so I would still go and get them checked by the vet. It will give you peace of mind.

My 13 year old has had 4 seizures or episodes over the course of 3 years or so. 3 were similar and after extensive tests including MRI scan, results were inconclusive regarding the cause. Each time though, he lost the use of his back legs although he regained full mobility over a couple of weeks. The last episode was a completely different type of seizure. No loss of back legs, no funny eye movements. Vets ran blood tests and think it might be related to low glucose levels, we are waiting for a further test on that. With each seizure or episode, I feel better knowing what it definitely isn't (eg tumor on the brain) so even though the tests are mostly inconclusive, it has put my mind at rest that certain things have been ruled out. And the last one was definitely a different kind of episode so close observation of what is happening at the time is really helpful. Hope your collie is OK, watching them age is a special kind of pain x

• Heart
My 13 year old has had 4 seizures or episodes over the course of 3 years or so. 3 were similar and after extensive tests including MRI scan, results were inconclusive regarding the cause. Each time though, he lost the use of his back legs although he regained full mobility over a couple of weeks. The last episode was a completely different type of seizure. No loss of back legs, no funny eye movements. Vets ran blood tests and think it might be related to low glucose levels, we are waiting for a further test on that. With each seizure or episode, I feel better knowing what it definitely isn't (eg tumor on the brain) so even though the tests are mostly inconclusive, it has put my mind at rest that certain things have been ruled out. And the last one was definitely a different kind of episode so close observation of what is happening at the time is really helpful. Hope your collie is OK, watching them age is a special kind of pain x
Thank you for reply, so sorry your doggy is going through this, and interesting to hear the symptoms of their seizures, my late terrier started having them when he was about 7 or 8, they'd last for a few minutes (though felt like hours), he'd start to salivate, then really heavy panting, he'd go rigid, couldn't walk at all, then he'd go outside, sometimes be sick, then come back in right as rain as if it had never happened. He could have 2 in a month, then none for months, but it's a constant worry, I never left him on his own, I didn't want him to have a seizure on his own, I wanted to be there to reassure him, so I know the worry you must be going through. I hope the results shed some light for your dog, and they recover well x
My collie has been fine since, just keeping a close eye on him, really hoping it was a one off.

My dog has just snapped at me, I'm pretty upset tbh, never had this before with my other dogs, and Ive had an aggressive dog who I trusted 💯, I'm struggling how to deal with this, I'm ignoring him, and really not liking him at this moment 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
My dog has just snapped at me, I'm pretty upset tbh, never had this before with my other dogs, and Ive had an aggressive dog who I trusted 💯, I'm struggling how to deal with this, I'm ignoring him, and really not liking him at this moment 😔
What happened in the lead up to the dog snapping? What kind of temperament does the dog have normally?

Have there been any other behaviour changes?

If this is the first time, out of the blue for a laid back dog I always would recommend a vet visit to check for any health issues that may cause the dog pain or distress and this is their way of letting you know.

Reactions: 2
What happened in the lead up to the dog snapping? What kind of temperament does the dog have normally?

If this is the first time, out of the blue for a laid back dog I always would recommend a vet visit to check for any health issues that may cause the dog pain or distress and this is their way of letting dyou know.
Nope came out of no where! But tbh, I've never trusted him fully, but he's been good as gold recently.
He's a collie, and I know they get issues, but this has really upset me.

If this is the first time, out of the blue for a laid back dog I always would recommend a vet visit to check for any health issues that may cause the dog pain or distress and this is their way of letting you know.
That's true it happened with two of my dogs over the years and both were seriously ill I discovered.

That's true it happened with two of my dogs over the years and both were seriously ill I discovered.
My last boy had illnesses, but he never snapped at me, never had this before, he knows I'm pissed off with him, I know I'm a stubborn bugger, but he's really upset me today.

Nope came out of no where! But tbh, I've never trusted him fully, but he's been good as gold recently.
It's upsetting I know. I'm looking after a dog and he's a bugger for snapping at me for no reason at all. He's had a vet check. Doesn't do it to my dad whom I live with.

It's upsetting I know. I'm looking after a dog and he's a bugger for snapping at me for no reason at all. He's had a vet check. Doesn't do it to my dad whom I live with.
Oh gosh that must be upsetting for you, my dog loves my oh to bits, I really want another dog, have always had 2, but we tried it last year, he hated puppy so we had to re-home, which broke my heart.

I’m sorry to hear this has happened and it’s obviously had quite an effect on you which is sad. You say you’ve never trusted him fully, is there any specific reason? Do you find yourself being cautious around him at all? I know you’ve said you’ve had dogs before so you’re obviously experienced but I’m wondering if maybe he can sense if you don’t fully trust him?

I hope you’re ok! It’s really hard when they snap.

• Heart
I’m sorry to hear this has happened and it’s obviously had quite an effect on you which is sad. You say you’ve never trusted him fully, is there any specific reason? Do you find yourself being cautious around him at all? I know you’ve said you’ve had dogs before so you’re obviously experienced but I’m wondering if maybe he can sense if you don’t fully trust him?

I hope you’re ok! It’s really hard when they snap.
I don't know why I felt like this at the start, he was actually the first dog Ive chosen, my others have chosen me or my oh has picked them. I'm not anxious or anything around him, he really is a good boy, so this has come out of the blue, he's only 4 and a half, he grew up with my other dogs, when I lost my boy who was his best friend, we tried with another pup, but he was nasty with pup so we had to re-home which broke my heart, I really want another dog, but it feels like he's ruling me, if that makes sense?

• Heart
I don't know why I felt like this at the start, he was actually the first dog Ive chosen, my others have chosen me or my oh has picked them. I'm not anxious or anything around him, he really is a good boy, so this has come out of the blue, he's only 4 and a half, he grew up with my other dogs, when I lost my boy who was his best friend, we tried with another pup, but he was nasty with pup so we had to re-home which broke my heart, I really want another dog, but it feels like he's ruling me, if that makes sense?
I feel that ay about the boy I am looking after. It's like he thinks he's the boss of me.
---
Oh gosh that must be upsetting for you, my dog loves my oh to bits, I really want another dog, have always had 2, but we tried it last year, he hated puppy so we had to re-home, which broke my heart.
I've always had two at a time too. I decided after my last girl went no more for me. I look after this little dog a lot and that's enough for me. I'm older but live at home and all pets seem to gravitate towards my dad. Cat's, dogs.

I feel that ay about the boy I am looking after. It's like he thinks he's the boss of me.
---

I've always had two at a time too. I decided after my last girl went no more for me. I look after this little dog a lot and that's enough for me. I'm older but live at home and all pets seem to gravitate towards my dad. Cat's, dogs.
I really miss having 2 dogs, i miss having a jrt, they're such characters, I feel like my boy I've got now is ruling me if that makes sense? I'll never be without a dog,but I'm getting on in years, but still have enough time for a puppy, my boy will have to put up with it. That's if I can afford one, wow the prices are horrendous!

Please to have found this thread as I’m in a predicament and need some advice.

I’ve been looking to get my dog booked in with a dog trainer for a while now to sort out various behaviours.

I went for an assessment at one dog training company, I’m potentially considering. They were really on the ball and told me the course of action needed to be taken to address my dog’s (fairly moderate and manageable) behavioural issues. They offer packages for customers rather than allowing customers to pay per session. They’ve just emailed the price of the package that was recommended to me and it’s over £600 😳. That’s only for four 1-hour training sessions (all of which I’ll have to be present throughout), one day where I can drop him off and pick him back up and giving me access to some online resources. Is this a reasonable price for a dog trainer to charge? It’s worth noting that they are quite a big company and have good credentials.

One thing I’ve found with dog trainers is that it’s more of a case of them teaching you how to train your dog rather than them training your dog and giving you the knowledge to build on things they’ve taught your dog, which is quite annoying considering I don’t want to be paying for a service where I put in majority of the legwork and for someone to tell me something that I could’ve easily googled. That’s why I’m considering this training company as they’re the only dog trainers I’ve seen who offer a day where they help train your dog for you.

I went to another dog trainer last week but all she did was tell me what to do with my dog rather than actually helping me train him.

I would consider looking for another dog trainer, but I can’t be arsed waiting around any longer and it’s so difficult finding someone who is reliable. Has anyone got any advice over what I should do and can you tell me whether I’m being ripped off or not with that quote?

Please to have found this thread as I’m in a predicament and need some advice.

I’ve been looking to get my dog booked in with a dog trainer for a while now to sort out various behaviours.

I went for an assessment at one dog training company, I’m potentially considering. They were really on the ball and told me the course of action needed to be taken to address my dog’s (fairly moderate and manageable) behavioural issues. They offer packages for customers rather than allowing customers to pay per session. They’ve just emailed the price of the package that was recommended to me and it’s over £600 😳. That’s only for four 1-hour training sessions (all of which I’ll have to be present throughout), one day where I can drop him off and pick him back up and giving me access to some online resources. Is this a reasonable price for a dog trainer to charge? It’s worth noting that they are quite a big company and have good credentials.

One thing I’ve found with dog trainers is that it’s more of a case of them teaching you how to train your dog rather than them training your dog and giving you the knowledge to build on things they’ve taught your dog, which is quite annoying considering I don’t want to be paying for a service where I put in majority of the legwork and for someone to tell me something that I could’ve easily googled. That’s why I’m considering this training company as they’re the only dog trainers I’ve seen who offer a day where they help train your dog for you.

I went to another dog trainer last week but all she did was tell me what to do with my dog rather than actually helping me train him.

I would consider looking for another dog trainer, but I can’t be arsed waiting around any longer and it’s so difficult finding someone who is reliable. Has anyone got any advice over what I should do and can you tell me whether I’m being ripped off or not with that quote?
You don't say what the behaviour issues are that you are looking to resolve but any trainer worth their salt will tell you it absolutely is the humans that need to be trained. Behaviour isn't a quick fix that someone can correct in a day on your behalf and you will need to understand how to train and manage your own dog if you want to keep the behaviour consistent. Most of the time it's not a dog behaviour problem, it's a human behaviour problem.

I would not pay £600 for what you have described.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
What kind of behaviours are you hoping to sort out? Is it basic obedience training or is your dog displaying antisocial behaviours? If it’s the latter, I’d be recommending a behaviourist rather than a trainer. Trainers have started springing up everywhere since the puppy boom in lockdown and a lot of them don’t have any official accreditation. The best place to look for a certified behaviourist is the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors to ensure you’re getting a professional - https://www.apbc.org.uk/

As the above poster says, there is no quick fix for behaviour issues and it’s important for you to play the biggest role in ironing it out. This will also be a bonding activity with your dog and allow them to trust you more. I wouldn’t be keen on anyone taking my dog for the day without me being there to learn, I’d be looking for somewhere that tries to involve you in the whole process.

Dogs Trust actually run a shedload of behaviour classes now from basic training through to problem behaviours. It may be worth checking that out if you have a local centre! They often offer discounted rates if money is an issue too (not means tested either!) 👏