Dodie Clark - Doddleoddle

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel as though lots of people got tired of Dodie and she isn't as relevant anymore, but still thought I'd make a thread in case people want to discuss. Especially with her new album coming out soon.

In a nutshell - mediocre musician, eternal attention seeker, constantly body checking, with a weird penchant for speaking like a child.

Reactions: 10
what was her whole depersonalisation thing?
I dont know enough about it but I watched her video where her brain was zapped and as someone with epilesy it kinda gave me the heebie jeebies of MRIs and EEGs that were just horrible but I have to have and made me wonder why you would voluntarily have a brain thing unless you absolutely needed it.
I looked up the 'depersonalisation' thing and was confused how she writes songs/creates emotional work but also feels this way??
like a direct paradox....anyway....

Reactions: 2
Having her brain zapped made it seem more like a neurological thing. She doesn't really talk about it much anymore, but it does feel weirdly at odds with what she does as a job. She always seems fully, intensely present and constantly talks about her feelings and emotions. I would've thought being in a dissociative state would make it harder to access those things and be so extroverted.

Reactions: 2
Is she still whispering and calling it singing?
oh jesus wait her new single is called “hate myself”
I guess she is the same dodie I remember

• Haha
Reactions: 7
View attachment 383544

Hate myself lyrics from the mailing subscription thing. I think the last 2 lines confirm this song is about how her abusive ex changed her thinking- she once said that when the man had been quiet, she knew he was going to fight with her/yell, so then she thought that when her friends were quiet around her it meant they were mad at her/there was some problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Yeah that makes sense. I kind of wonder if there will be any tracks on this album that don't frame her as a victim though tbh. I think her songwriting will improve when she's not constantly writing about how bad she has it and how boys are mean to her. Gives me Keaton "women are mean and make me cry" Henson vibes.

Reactions: 3
Yeah that makes sense. I kind of wonder if there will be any tracks on this album that don't frame her as a victim though tbh. I think her songwriting will improve when she's not constantly writing about how bad she has it and how boys are mean to her. Gives me Keaton "women are mean and make me cry" Henson vibes.
she really think she needs to suffer for her art so I don’t think so.

The videos she posts of herself crying are really narcissistic and strange. The ones she posted yesterday with her on the phone to her manager who is telling her about the album being pushed back is confusing too. Did she expect the bad news and set the camera to film her because she knew she'd cry? Was her first reaction when she started crying to start filming herself? Or does she just always film herself?! Very weird.

Reactions: 11
The videos she posts of herself crying are really narcissistic and strange. The ones she posted yesterday with her on the phone to her manager who is telling her about the album being pushed back is confusing too. Did she expect the bad news and set the camera to film her because she knew she'd cry? Was her first reaction when she started crying to start filming herself? Or does she just always film herself?! Very weird.
I wondered the same, weird!
Also the song she wrote about it, I'm so glad she included the lyrics because it was incomprehensible.

Reactions: 4
I just find it weird now that someone at her age still wants to dress, act and speak like a child. I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to date her and put up with that. I think she has dug deeper into this persona following the split of her parents. Or maybe she's just doing this for show now.I dunno...

What do people think of her new music video? I think though Hazel does make things look nice, her ideas are very unoriginal.

I can sense that Dodie wants to be seen as a more mature artist, but just to do a sexual video won't do that. The majority of her fanbase are young minded stans, it must be hard to try and be taken seriously when you're enmeshed in that stanny, kiddy culture.

What do people think of her new music video? I think though Hazel does make things look nice, her ideas are very unoriginal.

I can sense that Dodie wants to be seen as a more mature artist, but just to do a sexual video won't do that. The majority of her fanbase are young minded stans, it must be hard to try and be taken seriously when you're enmeshed in that stanny, kiddy culture.
I liked the video but I also noticed Dodie's unsuccessful attempt to appear more mature through sexualising the content. It just felt a bit unnecessary. Also I noticed a lot of the people saying they related to the lyrics and that it's a good breakup song, but I am certain based on the second verse that the song is about Dodie cheating on her ex girlfriend Hannah. If that's the case then she's literally glorifying infidelity and making it into a "cute" song. I just find the whole thing strange and a bit uncomfortable.

Reactions: 7

It was okay, nothing spectacular. I think the issue with being seen as a more mature artist is the music itself rather than the video. I like a couple of her songs but many of them are just boring tbh.

Yeah absolutely. I quite like this new song tbh, though I still struggle with her diction (is it "look inside a slut deceive"?). But I don't think she'll reach the maturity she wants as a songwriter until she breaks out of this habit of writing songs where she's the victim or she is sad. Every single song from this album so far essentially do the same thing - the bottom line being "my relationships are bad and I am sad".

I can't hear a bloody thing 😅
probs better that way.....
i've found some artists who are not that talented do this a lot
not to say dodie does it but it is a common thing you see when they don't actually have much substance as a musician
easier to hide mistakes and write shallow songs with muffled blendy sounding things

I liked the video but I also noticed Dodie's unsuccessful attempt to appear more mature through sexualising the content. It just felt a bit unnecessary. Also I noticed a lot of the people saying they related to the lyrics and that it's a good breakup song, but I am certain based on the second verse that the song is about Dodie cheating on her ex girlfriend Hannah. If that's the case then she's literally glorifying infidelity and making it into a "cute" song. I just find the whole thing strange and a bit uncomfortable.
I mean, isn’t her whole personality romanticize things that shouldn’t be romanticized?

Reactions: 6