Documentaries you've seen you still think about to this day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember Mr Trebus the hoarder who was featured on a Life of Grime? I think of him when I hear What a Wonderful World.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
The second was a ‘No Going Back’ with a strange, Barbie-type woman who convinced her very normal husband to buy an island off the coast of Nicaragua. It went very very wrong.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. She was absolutely VILE. Thought she was gorgeous but a total munter, walking along the beach showing off her fake tits to the workmen. Didn't she end up shagging one of them? I remember going into work the next day and raging about her. Disgusting piece of work she was.

I still remember feeling completely stunned reading the end credits.

Reactions: 2
The doc about Johnny Kennedy was repeated on Channel 4 a few months ago , I think they had an "classic documentaries" season or something. Don't know what other ones they showed.

There was a documentary I watched in school about a teenage boy with autism that wanted to be a DJ. At the end, he did a DJ set at someone's birthday party. One of the songs he played , I think was Where's Your Head At by Basement Jaxx. Does anyone remember it? I think about it sometimes but nothing ever comes up on Google.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Alex life fast forward has always stayed with me.
Also dreams of a life about Joyce Vincent. She died in her flat but her remains were not discovered until three years later. Her heating and her television were still on and she had been wrapping Christmas presents when she died. Yet nobody realised
I'm now going to watch that tonight, on your recommendation.

Bit of a light hearted one but there was a reality show on T4 in 2001 called Model Behaviour and one of its main stars was a pretty young girl who was trying to be a model from a poor background- she could barely read and write (when they gave her her contract she could barely write her name), never really travelled outside her own city and was overwhelmed when they sent her to Ireland as it was her first time on a plane. I’d love to know if she made it big.
God, I loved that programme. It was compulsive viewing, especially given how young some of the girls were, which meant they were incredibly immature and they'd throw screaming tantrums at the drop of a hat, like Kevin the teenager.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm now going to watch that tonight, on your recommendation.

God, I loved that programme. It was compulsive viewing, especially given how young some of the girls were, which meant they were incredibly immature and they'd throw screaming tantrums at the drop of a hat, like Kevin the teenager.
Yeah she was a blonde girl? I think she was a last minute replacement gor someone in the competition too if I recall

Reactions: 1
A light hearted one.

Naked in Westminster on Sky One. Following some little fella called David (AKA: Catman), who looked rodent-like, balding with a ponytail. It showed him as he set to open up a strip club in London called Sophisticats.

He had these two dancers that were essentially the choreographers, Ginger and Persia I think (they all had cat names), who were right witches, the sort of mean girl vibe about them.

Then this gorgeous, but dim girl from Liverpool called Dawn (I think) who David took quite a shine to and was promoting her, or giving her extra responsibilities, which pissed the other girls in the process. Reading between the lines, I was getting proper casting couch vibes, I think he got her into bed. 🤢

I can't remember how it ended, but think Dawn went MIA in the end, never to return. Does anyone remember?

I'd love to know what happened to her, she was sweet, but seemed incredibly naïve.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just remembered another I watched last year. I think it's called identical strangers? It was about three teenagers who met by chance at university and turned out to be identical triplets. They had been separated by adoption as part of a phychological experiment. They had been placed into homes of high class, middle class and lower class families yet all lived identical lifestyles. They ended up having their own restaurant until sadly one of the brother killed themselves.

One more and then I will stop!

The imposter.. A French man somehow managed to trick a Texas family that he was their missing son?! He had a French accent, different eye colour etc.. He went to the levels of getting the same tattoo as the boy. He only stopped when he realised that the family had possibly had a part in their missing son/brothers death and that's why they accepted this guy as their son. It turned out the French man was wanted in other countries for also stealing the identity of missing kids. At the time of the documentary film they had been digging the garden of the family home to see if the family had been involved. I'm not sure of the outcome.

• Wow
Reactions: 35
Glad to hear its not just me that gets so emotionally invested in these shows!
I've got a few, there was a woman on Holbeck red light district show who was really nice, she kept animals and someone killed them all and she wanted to be a masseuse but her boyfriend was never that nice to her. There was also a couple who were on one of those series about poverty - i think it was the grimsby or scunthorpe one? Anyway they went joyriding after filming and the girl ended up totally paralysed. I remember being so shocked by that. Also watched one about a woman who was having to prostitute to feed her children and she had a teenage daughter who was talking to the camera about how she worries that her mum will be killed by a punter etc. It was so sad. It really annoys me that people don't see that this is the reality of poverty.
Also I watched a documentary years ago about the witch children in Africa and that was just awful 😔
YESSSS the holbeck documentary really got me. I loved the woman who had quails. Her ex killed them! She was the first person I thought of when i saw this thread. It was called sex drugs and murder!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
YESSSS the holbeck documentary really got me. I loved the woman who had quails. Her ex killed them! She was the first person I thought of when i saw this thread. It was called sex drugs and murder!
Yes quails! I couldn't remember for the life of me what they were called. She was lovely.

Reactions: 8
A light hearted one.

Naked in Westminster on Sky One. Following some little fella called David (AKA: Catman), who looked rodent-like, balding with a ponytail. It showed him as he set to open up a strip club in London called Sophisticats.

He had these two dancers that were essentially the choreographers, Ginger and Persia I think (they all had cat names), who were right witches, the sort of mean girl vibe about them.

Then this gorgeous, but dim girl from Liverpool called Dawn (I think) who David took quite a shine to and was promoting her, or giving her extra responsibilities, which pissed the other girls in the process. Reading between the lines, I was getting proper casting couch vibes, I think he got her into bed. 🤢

I can't remember how it ended, but think Dawn went MIA in the end, never to return. Does anyone remember?

I'd love to know what happened to her, she was sweet, but seemed incredibly naïve.
I found this, someone made this comment just as recent as last week about Dawn : https://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Media-and-TV/Reality-TV/Question540538.html

Reactions: 3
I don't watch one born every minute, just bits and pieces when I'm looking what's on TV. I'll always remember Heather and Danny. They were the fashion designers who hadn't done any labour prep but had an amazing birth. Judging from Instagram they now have three kids and went into catering. I don't have kids but I'd love a birth like hers. Was so different to the usual births on there in that it was pretty calm and peaceful. This was the couple below.

Attachments

Reactions: 12
I just remembered another I watched last year. I think it's called identical strangers? It was about three teenagers who met by chance at university and turned out to be identical triplets. They had been separated by adoption as part of a phychological experiment. They had been placed into homes of high class, middle class and lower class families yet all lived identical lifestyles. They ended up having their own restaurant until sadly one of the brother killed themselves.

One more and then I will stop!

The imposter.. A French man somehow managed to trick a Texas family that he was their missing son?! He had a French accent, different eye colour etc.. He went to the levels of getting the same tattoo as the boy. He only stopped when he realised that the family had possibly had a part in their missing son/brothers death and that's why they accepted this guy as their son. It turned out the French man was wanted in other countries for also stealing the identity of missing kids. At the time of the documentary film they had been digging the garden of the family home to see if the family had been involved. I'm not sure of the outcome.
I saw both of them. Crazy. The triplets story was amazing at first, the chance meeting of the brother at university with his brother's college mates. They were like celebrities for a time, on all those shows.

The suicide was heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. She was absolutely VILE. Thought she was gorgeous but a total munter, walking along the beach showing off her fake tits to the workmen. Didn't she end up shagging one of them? I remember going into work the next day and raging about her. Disgusting piece of work she was.

I still remember feeling completely stunned reading the end credits.
Me too, it was so shocking.

I saw this the other day,It was horrific. Those two lazy arsed parents telling people that they had a large family so they would have someone to look after them in their old age.
made me feel sick to watch them, the mother puffing away on a cigarette inside the house, the poor baby asleep on the floor where it conked out.
I hope those girls grew up and moved on to a better life.
Saw that one. The youngerst daughter tried to commit suicide when she was like 8. I do know that one of the daughters has a daughter of her own, a few years back and does not what a big family.

Reactions: 2
It makes me incredibly sad that Daisy from Audrie and Daisy just took her own life.
Not a documentry but... The girl who was absolutely smashed on Come dine with me that everyone was laughing at and it turned out she was an alcoholic battling major demons who went on to take her own life too.

I do wonder what happened in ‘there’s something wrong with aunt Diane’ where a seemingly normal Mother went the wrong way down the interstate killing herself, her daughter and 3 nieces and 3 in another car. Turned out she was very drunk and no one has a clue why since she wasn’t really a drinker, it was daytime, she was ferrying the kids etc

Reactions: 25
OMG me too! Wasn’t he persecuted in Nazi Germany and had to escape for a better life and that’s where the hoarding stemmed from?
Yes it’s really sad. He started out as a collector but just escalated. Council workers kept being sent in to remove everything but he needed more mental health help than they could give. He let the BBC film it as he thought that would help him keep all his belongings 🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I saw this the other day,It was horrific. Those two lazy arsed parents telling people that they had a large family so they would have someone to look after them in their old age.
made me feel sick to watch them, the mother puffing away on a cigarette inside the house, the poor baby asleep on the floor where it conked out.
I hope those girls grew up and moved on to a better life.
Do you remember the name of the doc?I’ll give it a watch!

Love this thread! I always think about a BBC doc I watched called 'madness in the fast lane' about two twins who threw themselves in to oncoming traffic on the motorway, it was later said they were going through a bout of psychosis. So interesting/crazy to watch - it's on YouTube. Just saw some info about them on Wiki but no recent updates

Reactions: 17
I saw both of them. Crazy. The triplets story was amazing at first, the chance meeting of the brother at university with his brother's college mates. They were like celebrities for a time, on all those shows.

The suicide was heartbreaking.
It's crazy stuff like this goes on! 😮 I wonder if they ever managed to get permission to open the vault?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.