Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can we talk about the insane classicism of the car industry as well?

Electric or hybrid cars are becoming really common in my neighborhood and some are very snobby about it. We are talking about cars starting at 40k here.

Instead of making it more affordable like the Chinese government does, our Irish government is out here making people pay more for polluting vehicles.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
My world was 0.6

It's on your epc, my 2 up 2 down is 69sqm
Haven't got an EPC as have lived in my house since before they were a thing! I guessed about 200sqm, just looked at a similar sized house that's for sale near me and their floorplan says 190, so as it turns out I wasn't too far off. Probably not enough to make much difference to my earth score anyway.

Reactions: 1
Going back to the cost of childcare thing. I worked in nurseries for 20years before leaving this year.

The cost of what you are charged goes to the big companies. Childcare workers are underpaid for what they do, often undervalued (I always remember one parent refusing to pick up an obviously ill child as they apparently paid us to deal with vomit and diarrhoea. Nevermind the rest of the group it could infect) and certainly overworked. A 48 hour week was a regular thing, despite only a 35hr contract - this was non negotiable.

A lot of parents expect every imaginable thing that they don't want to do themselves. Weaning, toilet training and homework (after school clubs). And the abuse they give if they don't get it.

The childcare system is crippled right now, by people leaving who have simply had enough. Supermarkets pay better wages for less of the tit (literally). I left to work in a school - better pay and all the holidays off, and the feeling of being valued in a team.

The big childcare providers are making a mint, but unless you're a top level manager, you see a pittance.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Can we talk about the insane classicism of the car industry as well?

Electric or hybrid cars are becoming really common in my neighborhood and some are very snobby about it. We are talking about cars starting at 40k here.

Instead of making it more affordable like the Chinese government does, our Irish government is out here making people pay more for polluting vehicles.
Prices will come down before you know.
Chinese are working now on oxygen liquid motors. Also the EU voted a ban for new thermic cars (gasoline and diesel) by 2035, which is basically "tomorrow".

In Spain, government tries something else to help commuters economically temporarily (anti-crisis plan) and reduce CO² emissions : they refund the train tickets.
Wouldn't work here we have no decent funded reliable buses and trains on strike a lot.

Have a man coming quote a new combi boiler today.
Will ask if need new radiators too.
Is a nest / hive control worth having?

You may remember the meter read cockup.
Despite realising and immediately submitting the right reading as got electricity and gas mixed up I thought over time would correct itself.
So debt after cockup was £900 then month later was 600 so assumed monthly direct debit will bring it down and by jan we be about right.
This week its shown as 900 again.
Paid dd £270 yesterday and its only reduced by £100
Husband going to ring octopus 🐙 as its stressing me out.
They advise we start paying £370 a month until April to get back on track but we were £70 in credit before cockup.
Obviously with boiler broke gas non existent but using electric heater more so electricity be high.
Looked at usage for November.
235 electricity
91 gas
Total £331

Does this seem high to you?
Using my drier as have no choice.
Using my dishwasher and electric showed as no hot water as boiler broke.
We 3 bed mid terrace 4 kids on devices or watching TV
Electric hob and oven although not done much cooking this week.
My 4freezers save me more than they cost so that's false economy.

Desperately saving every penny initially for gas bill but now maybe used pay half more boiler as tax bill land feb if do end of Jan and not sure want to finance long term even of 0% as just another monthly outgoing .
Looked at boxt they all 4k plus where seems going rate new combi install and removal is 2k to 2.5k.
Have so many goals we need to achieve before everything goes up in April.
New boilers
Room move around moving adult bedroom into existing large lounge so kids can have room each as can't afford extend.
Pay least 40% child benefit back
Pay off 4k credit card debt.

Really want to save up least 1k emergency fund and replace single glazed door at back of the house this summer as think next winter be even worse of cap keeps rising and no £66 per month or one off cost living payment for middle income.
Also may reconsider cost of putting in wood stove in the summer maybe with will pay for itself within a year or least 2 where as cost solar is more like 10 years recoup money.
Government takking about some grant but not started yet and last green homes initiative announced when Johnson was in power was scrapped because it was unworkable.
We tried to access it was impossible.
Hunts all about targeting low income so maybe new grants be means tested like car loan clean air zone we earn too much but are skint.

Reactions: 2
Going back to the cost of childcare thing. I worked in nurseries for 20years before leaving this year.

The cost of what you are charged goes to the big companies. Childcare workers are underpaid for what they do, often undervalued (I always remember one parent refusing to pick up an obviously ill child as they apparently paid us to deal with vomit and diarrhoea. Nevermind the rest of the group it could infect) and certainly overworked. A 48 hour week was a regular thing, despite only a 35hr contract - this was non negotiable.

A lot of parents expect every imaginable thing that they don't want to do themselves. Weaning, toilet training and homework (after school clubs). And the abuse they give if they don't get it.

The childcare system is crippled right now, by people leaving who have simply had enough. Supermarkets pay better wages for less of the tit (literally). I left to work in a school - better pay and all the holidays off, and the feeling of being valued in a team.

The big childcare providers are making a mint, but unless you're a top level manager, you see a pittance.
Completely agree. The staff at our nursery are absolutely amazing and it’s crazy that it’s deemed acceptable to pay minimum wage when these people are 100% responsible for keeping our children alive. Doesn’t make sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Leo hasn't earnt the right to make comments like that. Fair enough if he'd given up the yachts and jets 10 years ago and in all areas of his been a model green citizen. Maybe then he could lecture the rest of us. But yet another super privileged person with do as I say, not what I do.
Plus he isn't British so why is he making comments about London transport system and policy? Does he live here? He can afford to Uber everywhere, most British families don't have that luxury and will be trapped outside the ULEZ zone. Families having to pay 12.50 a day to go to work, school etc... Leo has no idea.

Reactions: 21
Wouldn't work here we have no decent funded reliable buses and trains on strike a lot.

Have a man coming quote a new combi boiler today.
Will ask if need new radiators too.
Is a nest / hive control worth having?

You may remember the meter read cockup.
Despite realising and immediately submitting the right reading as got electricity and gas mixed up I thought over time would correct itself.
So debt after cockup was £900 then month later was 600 so assumed monthly direct debit will bring it down and by jan we be about right.
This week its shown as 900 again.
Paid dd £270 yesterday and its only reduced by £100
Husband going to ring octopus 🐙 as its stressing me out.
They advise we start paying £370 a month until April to get back on track but we were £70 in credit before cockup.
Obviously with boiler broke gas non existent but using electric heater more so electricity be high.
Looked at usage for November.
235 electricity
91 gas
Total £331

Does this seem high to you?
Using my drier as have no choice.
Using my dishwasher and electric showed as no hot water as boiler broke.
We 3 bed mid terrace 4 kids on devices or watching TV
Electric hob and oven although not done much cooking this week.
My 4freezers save me more than they cost so that's false economy.

Desperately saving every penny initially for gas bill but now maybe used pay half more boiler as tax bill land feb if do end of Jan and not sure want to finance long term even of 0% as just another monthly outgoing .
Looked at boxt they all 4k plus where seems going rate new combi install and removal is 2k to 2.5k.
Have so many goals we need to achieve before everything goes up in April.
New boilers
Room move around moving adult bedroom into existing large lounge so kids can have room each as can't afford extend.
Pay least 40% child benefit back
Pay off 4k credit card debt.

Really want to save up least 1k emergency fund and replace single glazed door at back of the house this summer as think next winter be even worse of cap keeps rising and no £66 per month or one off cost living payment for middle income.
Also may reconsider cost of putting in wood stove in the summer maybe with will pay for itself within a year or least 2 where as cost solar is more like 10 years recoup money.
Government takking about some grant but not started yet and last green homes initiative announced when Johnson was in power was scrapped because it was unworkable.
We tried to access it was impossible.
Hunts all about targeting low income so maybe new grants be means tested like car loan clean air zone we earn too much but are skint.

I had my thermostat replaced last year , all the tradesmen I spoke to tried to upsell the hive but I coulndt really see why it was worth the extra.

I got a portable thermostat, so I take it to the room I'm in. I've got better insulation upstairs so it does make a difference to move the thermostat.

There's a nursery next door to me ran by my neighbour and she pays all her staff minimum wage. She's constantly rehiring and it's no wonder. Absolutely insane job for the peanuts they get paid.

Reactions: 5
Literally. I've got £62 in my account after paying for a big food shop at Lidl (because that's the only place I can afford to shop) and have to get through until the 23rd. On Monday I have a scan at the hospital for a post op hemotoma and the 2 return bus tickets for the 2 bus journeys it takes to get there will cost me £18. I'm debating today cancelling the appointment I really shouldn't miss because I may have an infection as that's almost a third of that £62 gone on something just for me, my son will probably need something and I'll have spent that £18 on myself rather than being able to afford something he'll need. Which reminds me, I need to get him some winter shoes as his little trainers are definitely not waterproof. There's always something.

But this is a hugely common thing for people this year. Hunch can't imagine having to choose between potential post op infection or winter shoes for her kids (I'm guessing they don't get winter shoes). She doesn't know what it's like pulling the duvets off both beds and huddling under them in one bed to stay warm. She doesn't know what it's like listening to her son cough all night because cold air triggers asthma but you can't turn on the heating or there will be no hot water for baths this week, which you share to make the hot water go further.

Sorry for the rant, I'm so unbelievably angry that some people do nothing yet get given so much and all because of fleecing people.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
We have a hive and the smart valves on every radiator. It was an expense but I can turn every radiator on and off at the touch of my phone. Every room can be set to click on and off at different temperatures. My upstairs tends to be v cold whilst my downstairs isnt so its so handy for that as I dont need the radiators on downstairs but need them on upstairs.

Its been worth it for us as I know I wouldnt go and turn them on and off manually

We have a hive and the smart valves on every radiator. It was an expense but I can turn every radiator on and off at the touch of my phone. Every room can be set to click on and off at different temperatures. My upstairs tends to be v cold whilst my downstairs isnt so its so handy for that as I dont need the radiators on downstairs but need them on upstairs.

Its been worth it for us as I know I wouldnt go and turn them on and off manually
I don't have hive but can do the upstairs and downstairs separately, I've got 2 honeywell thermostats. Wish I could turn just my girls room on upstairs though as it's freezing

I don't have hive but can do the upstairs and downstairs separately, I've got 2 honeywell thermostats. Wish I could turn just my girls room on upstairs though as it's freezing
It is so handy to be able to do individual rooms. One of my kids room is much colder than the other. I love it.

It is so handy to be able to do individual rooms. One of my kids room is much colder than the other. I love it.
It would be so much better if the thermostat was in their room (North facing and 3 external walls) and then I could turn down my radiator

Saw this in the news…really upset me yesterday ☹
I'd take this story with a pinch of salt, to be honest. You've got to remember there's a lot of trolls around. Human food tends to be cheaper than petfood (at least things like basic beans and spaghetti hoops) and there are food banks.

Reactions: 18
I'd take this story with a pinch of salt, to be honest. You've got to remember there's a lot of trolls around. Human food tends to be cheaper than petfood (at least things like basic beans and spaghetti hoops) and there are food banks.
I was thinking this, it's about 80p a tin for dog food vs 16p for hoops, 27p for beans or 47p for a tin of beans with sausages

Maybe they had already purchased a big pack of dog/cat food? They ran out of human food and couldn’t afford anymore so they ate pet food…either way, if it’s true, it’s very heartbreaking

Yel

It's the heating on the radiator that set off alarm bells (jack monroe style faux poverty alarm bells).

Heating on the radiator would cost a lot and barely make any difference. But 1p of energy on the microwave or hob would heat it up.

There was something a few weeks ago about people having to use radiators to make a cup of tea, which also wouldn't really work and would be a very wasteful use. Putting the heating on does cost a lot because it has to heat so much and be on a long time to make any difference. Heating a few cups of water or a tin of food even with the energy prices doesn't cost that much.

At Aldi spaghetti hoops are 16p and baked beans are 24p. That must be lower than pet food? I get not all have a shop with a value range nearby, but most do.

• Heart
It's the heating on the radiator that set off alarm bells (jack monroe style faux poverty alarm bells).

Heating on the radiator would cost a lot and barely make any difference. But 1p of energy on the microwave or hob would heat it up.

There was something a few weeks ago about people having to use radiators to make a cup of tea, which also wouldn't really work and would be a very wasteful use. Putting the heating on does cost a lot because it has to heat so much and be on a long time to make any difference. Heating a few cups of water or a tin of food even with the energy prices doesn't cost that much.

At Aldi spaghetti hoops are 16p and baked beans are 24p. That must be lower than pet food? I get not all have a shop with a value range nearby, but most do.

Every recession has media telling people things like this
I have been in very hard times and as you say heating stayed off but always used the cooker./ microwave or kettle for needed hot food and drinks

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.