Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Successful entertainers on a soapbox 🙄. Leo should come and tell the people around here just on the border of the M25 who can't afford to get a new car and public transport is rubbish how ulez is better and fairer for them.

Where's the nuance thesedays? There's lots of issues to fix, but these sledgehammer approaches shouldn't be celebrated as wholly good.

Screenshot_20221202_094404.jpg

Reactions: 9
Successful entrepreneurs on a soapbox 🙄. Leo should come and tell the people around here just on the border of the M25 who can't afford to get a new car and public transport is rubbish how ulez is better and fairer for them.

Where's the nuance thesedays? There's lots of issues to fix, but these sledgehammer approaches shouldn't be celebrated as wholly good.

View attachment 1776571

It's always those who have private jets telling people about climate. Didnt he fly 8000 miles in his jet to collect an award for his climate activism?

Reactions: 27
God I bet Sadiq Khan will be beside himself having his 'achievements' recognised by a celebrity, that just feeds his egomania.

It really gets my goat when you get all these celebs bleating about climate change when they're running private jets, numerous cars, have multiple homes, etc. The hypocrisy is real.

The ULEZ is a money making scheme dressed up as environmental concern. Diesels in the early 2010s were presented as better for the planet...so the Government incentivised buying them by lowering the road tax. But they're now caught by ULEZ instead.

He won't make enough money from this, and the next step will be all petrol/diesel cars. Or a pence per mile tax. Or both.

I need to move out of London!

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Yel

Leo hasn't earnt the right to make comments like that. Fair enough if he'd given up the yachts and jets 10 years ago and in all areas of his been a model green citizen. Maybe then he could lecture the rest of us. But yet another super privileged person with do as I say, not what I do.

Reactions: 21
Successful entertainers on a soapbox 🙄. Leo should come and tell the people around here just on the border of the M25 who can't afford to get a new car and public transport is rubbish how ulez is better and fairer for them.

View attachment 1776571
I find it hard to believe what he’s saying.
As someone who lives on one of the busiest A roads in London and is also in an area where the side streets have been shut off to cars during school run time, there are hundreds & thousands of school children now walking to school alongside standstill traffic with all cars engines running.
I can’t wait to move from here next year because my asthma is horrific since moving to this particular area & does the ULEZ really balance out with what local authorities are doing by forcing all traffic (people won’t stop driving just because they shut side streets!!) to now drive along 1/2 main roads?
Because both children I care for have constant coughs since it’s happened and I really worry for the health implications in 5+ years time.

Sorry I’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent but I feel really strongly about it.
There are definitely other ways to help and it could be helped by working with local authorities and schools when it comes to transporting children to school— as in my area it is the private school parents who add to the majority of the traffic. It’s noted by the traffic being much MUCH less when private schools are closed but public schools are still open.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

View attachment 1776571
We’re having this convo on the Topshop nostalgia thread atm re: classism/privilege/££ and accessibility to sustainable alternatives. This comes across the same tbh, ultimately it’s the very rich who are super polluters and the relatively rich who are super consumers, speaking to his peers re private aviation would be SO much more impactful than this meaningless virtue signal? If he managed to get one young actor off of private flights that’d be more beneficial to the planet than months and months of ULEZ?

He has leverage in his industry too to discuss the wastefulness of tv & film & events? It’s such a bizarre comment to make as it’s just so ineffective yet polarising, the problem is it’s upper middle class ppl at the forefront of this movement and they’re not renowned for inclusivity or tbh thought leadership.

Reactions: 14

Yel

I always think the how many earth's are needed for your lifestyle is a good benchmark - https://www.footprintcalculator.org

I think for a westerner I have quite a green lifestyle, but we'd still need 1.6 earths if everyone lived like me. Apparently the average westerner needs about 5 earths. I expect Leo needs at least 50 earths.

Reactions: 7
I always think the how many earth's are needed for your lifestyle is a good benchmark - https://www.footprintcalculator.org

I think for a westerner I have quite a green lifestyle, but we'd still need 1.6 earths if everyone lived like me. Apparently the average westerner needs about 5 earths. I expect Leo needs at least 50 earths.
Mine is mortifyingly huge despite being pretty low on everything apart from house size which isn’t a humble brag but presents more questions than answers. For context on the rest of the answers it’s LOW - I’m pescatarian, put 0 hours for flights as I’ve not been away all pandemic, don’t do a lot of miles and have a v fuel efficient car, but I can’t fully understand the house size thing meaning needing this many planets…? Especially when on renewable tariffs? And the house is old so no new materials required? What else is driving that score up - it’s a shame it doesn’t explain?!

Ngl am actually really upset by this and feel like Leonardo Dicaprio right now as I’d have said we were a really low waste/landfill household trying our best but I’m evidently delusional?! Like I compost our waste and am gonna build a wormery outside next year and try and grow our own fruit & veg, buy preloved clothes for me + toddler, am into mindful consumption etc but it’s minutiae when compared to that result? :/ does anyone know more about this who can comment pls?

I can’t even understand it from an energy consumption PoV because there’s only 3 of us and we have a smart home so lights are motion based/time out, heating used sporadically and sensibly, stuff turned off after use. I’m actually gutted!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I was pleasantly surprised with our gas use for November as we had it on quite abit. It was £118.65. Electric I'm not sure but its usually between £1.60-1.90 a Day.

Reactions: 1
God I bet Sadiq Khan will be beside himself having his 'achievements' recognised by a celebrity, that just feeds his egomania.

It really gets my goat when you get all these celebs bleating about climate change when they're running private jets, numerous cars, have multiple homes, etc. The hypocrisy is real.

The ULEZ is a money making scheme dressed up as environmental concern. Diesels in the early 2010s were presented as better for the planet...so the Government incentivised buying them by lowering the road tax. But they're now caught by ULEZ instead.

He won't make enough money from this, and the next step will be all petrol/diesel cars. Or a pence per mile tax. Or both.

I need to move out of London!
ULEZ isn't directly to affect climate change (although reducing car usage obviously would reduce carbon emissions). It's related to air quality. Will prevent needless illness and deaths like Ella Kissi-Debrah.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
He has leverage in his industry too to discuss the wastefulness of tv & film & events? It’s such a bizarre comment to make as it’s just so ineffective yet polarising, the problem is it’s upper middle class ppl at the forefront of this movement and they’re not renowned for inclusivity or tbh thought leadership.
This is a really good point. He has so much leverage around this and even within his own community of the super-rich. I know everyone has to do their bit for the planet but the talk about the rich doing theirs always seems to come from regular people. People in his circle have a huge carbon footprint but they also have the money to be more sustainable. They always talk about what “we” can do and I get that’s important, but why can’t they focus on their own wasteful behaviours too.

I did that world quiz and got 2.1 earths. We use a lot of prepackaged food because my partner purchases discounted, actually nice meals from his workplace (£2/each). I try to buy local and cook for myself using loose fresh supplies when I can but we can’t freeze much because my flat only has a tiny mini fridge with one freezer drawer, so things only keep for about a week in the fridge if not less. Id love to be able to batch cook and freeze it but there just isn’t the space. People like Leonardo could hire cook using fresh local ingredients and stash it all in the freezer, but half of them probably hire someone to cook imported Wagyu beef a couple times a week.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In Spain, government tries something else to help commuters economically temporarily (anti-crisis plan) and reduce CO² emissions : they refund the train tickets.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
ULEZ isn't directly to affect climate change (although reducing car usage obviously would reduce carbon emissions). It's related to air quality. Will prevent needless illness and deaths like Ella Kissi-Debrah.
I know that's how Khan is selling it, but in reality the further stretching of ULEZ will barely make a difference - the stats show that the expansion of ULEZ to the North and South circular didnt significantly impact air quality.

I am on the very outskirts of London - we have lots of open spaces, green areas, trees. Our air quality is already pretty good. I am not persuaded that by forcing me and others to buy petrol cars rather than diesel the (decent) air quality will suddenly improve.

Khan is hiding behind this reasoning to get people onside but it's really only about the money. The vehicles don't suddenly stop polluting the air if you pay the £12.50. So if everyone paid, what would he do then?!

it's the thin end of the wedge.

BTW I found the how many earths test interesting. I came out at 5.1 but that may be a fair bit out as I have no idea of the sqm of my house, so took a guess.

Reactions: 4

Yel

I’m actually gutted!
I wouldn't be, it's a pretty blunt tool and quite rough. Some things like food as long as it isn't air freighted it can be greener to have them from a long distance in the winter rather than growing them in a cold local climate. And stuff like housing turning down the thermostat and having rooms at different temps makes a big difference to energy consumption.

Our Nov bill was lower than expected, but I think until the very end it was quite a mild Nov.

Dec is here and it's really got cold here in the SE. Could get frost soon with -1 degrees and snow predicted next week.

Reactions: 2
My world was 0.6

BTW I found the how many earths test interesting. I came out at 5.1 but that may be a fair bit out as I have no idea of the sqm of my house, so took a guess
It's on your epc, my 2 up 2 down is 69sqm

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.