Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been turned the heat on the past few days, we are managing the cold just not drying the laundry. I consider it a treat lol, but it pushes us up to £7.50 a day on the smart meter. That's £225 a month (30 day month) if we stick to 2 hours a day. And Mr Hunt in the news today saying we just need to get used to using less gas and electricity... How out of touch are these morons.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
I've been turned the heat on the past few days, we are managing the cold just not drying the laundry. I consider it a treat lol, but it pushes us up to £7.50 a day on the smart meter. That's £225 a month (30 day month) if we stick to 2 hours a day. And Mr Hunt in the news today saying we just need to get used to using less gas and electricity... How out of touch are these morons.
They're out of touch as they have the bloody money to pay for it. Not like us normal low earning peasants 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Agree, I've been doing this for years, it really does make a difference!
I'm using the tumble dryer, have had jeans hanging around for days trying to dry, now they smell so have to wash them again!
How do I spin without a rinse? My machine doesn’t spin alone on any setting , it’s a Bosch and I love it other than this.

How do I spin without a rinse? My machine doesn’t spin alone on any setting , it’s a Bosch and I love it other than this.
Mine is exactly the same (Samsung) but it still works! I thought it wouldn’t work but I first tried it with towels and the difference was ridiculous, I’ve been doing it with everything now! I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes with clothes versus towels and bedding but it’s a 21 min run so worth a punt 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Probably no help as I’m a Samsung but I had this question, none of the settings on the dially bit had just spin, but do you have a button that you can change the spin speed? If I hold that down for about 5 seconds on mine it has does a just spin. Took me ages to figure it out.

@LyraBalaqua does this help?
DF3F4B93-BCA7-4AC8-A6A7-2127CB5037D7.png

• Heart
Hi all. My washing machine is on its last legs so I thought I'd get one in the black Friday deals.

But, to go from a B rated to A rated it's about 100 pound more.

Does anyone know if it's actually worth getting the a rated, how much difference it is. Two kids and a dog so the machine is run a lot.

Hi all. My washing machine is on its last legs so I thought I'd get one in the black Friday deals.

But, to go from a B rated to A rated it's about 100 pound more.

Does anyone know if it's actually worth getting the a rated, how much difference it is. Two kids and a dog so the machine is run a lot.
On currys you if you look on the spec it tells you the energy consumption per load. The a rated one I looked at was £339 9kg

Attachments

On currys you if you look on the spec it tells you the energy consumption per load. The a rated one I looked at was £339 9kg
Oh quite a big difference then. Thanks for that. Is that the hover model? I wasn't sure if they were good quality. I was looking at a hisense..

Reactions: 2
Oh quite a big difference then. Thanks for that. Is that the hover model? I wasn't sure if they were good quality. I was looking at a hisense..
I have a Hoover 9kg H wash, it's been great. The best thing is you can do a 15 min wash at 40 degrees (handy for bits of uniform you've forgot).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've gone for the hisense 10k A rated. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend. But I always go for the cheaper models and they don't last. My indecent I've had 6 years and it's bolloxed.

Reactions: 5
I've gone for the hisense 10k A rated. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend. But I always go for the cheaper models and they don't last. My indecent I've had 6 years and it's bolloxed.
I used to look in the Which guides at the library or at Good Housekeeping recommendations. I remember Indesit not being well thought of.
I wonder though if more modern machines have built in failure as anything old I replace never seems to last more than 5 years.
My current washing machine is 25 years old a Bosch. I do do a 90 degrees soda crystals cycle though, which might be the reason it's still going strong. I also followed recommendations to buy basic models max 1200 spin as less to go wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I used to look in the Which guides at the library or at Good Housekeeping recommendations. I remember Indesit not being well thought of.
I wonder though if more modern machines have built in failure as anything old I replace never seems to last more than 5 years.
My current washing machine is 25 years old a Bosch. I do do a 90 degrees soda crystals cycle though, which might be the reason it's still going strong. I also followed recommendations to buy basic models max 1200 spin as less to go wrong.
Wow I thought I did amazing with my Hoover machine that lasted 14 years! My mother seems to change her machine every 2 years, breakdown just after warranty finishes. Her last one was recalled, so she got a new one for free. But she's had Indeset, LG, Hoover and Hotpoint. She used to swear by Hotpoint but has hated the last two machines.

Reactions: 3
It's criminal that electrical goods have planned obsolescence for only a few years, just for that stuff to end up in landfill. Same with cars, they shouldn't be scrappable after 5 years. All that metal and plastic that then mostly gets dumped, and portion recycled. I think all such machines should be built to last again. Smartphones shouldn't be designed to only be used 2 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Wow I thought I did amazing with my Hoover machine that lasted 14 years! My mother seems to change her machine every 2 years, breakdown just after warranty finishes. Her last one was recalled, so she got a new one for free. But she's had Indeset, LG, Hoover and Hotpoint. She used to swear by Hotpoint but has hated the last two machines.
My mum had a Hotpoint top loader which she swore by but when it went to washing machine heaven and she got a fitted kitchen she got a Hotpoint frontloader and some kind of warranty contract. She must have spent an inordinate amount on this "contract" as my dad who is a tight Yorkshire man comes over all funny when you mention it. When she finally saw sense and changed to a different manufacturer (Miele) she was told the build quality was amazing and it should last at least 25 years. It went to washing machine heaven at 13 years old and disillusioned she bought a Bosch as mine is claiming it's pension now and so far the Bosch has outlasted my mum who is now in heaven with all her redundant washing machines 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I saw this bloke on Martin Lewis's programme and I could have sworn he said Octopus was a not for profit company. He was answering questions about energy.
Wondering if the other energy companies are holding back and using him as a "lamb to the slaughter" kind of thing to see how the public respond.

Yep 5 year warranty on mine and now it's almost 6 years old it's on the blink. They definitely booby trap them to fail after the warranty.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.