Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a piss take though when pensioners have a triple lock despite being better off than average and then public sector get a 3% payrise and told to suck it up, and then get insulted by the general public when there’s even a whisper about potentially striking.

My parents are celebrating their pension rise whilst on their eighth holiday of the year. They didn’t need that money and the government need to find a way to means test it
I agree there should be rises for the public sector, I fully support each and every strike as well. I don't see how recognising some pensioners do need the uplift and theyre not all minted means you don't support fair pay for workers. I'm sure many who have parents splashing loads of spare cash will benefit in the future from it.

Reactions: 3
Tbf moaning about the price of things is an official hobby of old people. Now everyone is at it, you know its serious 😩

• Haha
Reactions: 9
pensioners have a triple lock despite being better off than average and then public sector get a 3% payrise and told to suck it up
It's not a popular opinion, but in a fair world pensions shouldn't have gone up by inflation as lots of this is due to energy prices and extra money has been given for the energy prices. It should have gone up by an amount that takes this into account.

Reactions: 9
I agree there should be rises for the public sector, I fully support each and every strike as well. I don't see how recognising some pensioners do need the uplift and theyre not all minted means you don't support fair pay for workers. I'm sure many who have parents splashing loads of spare cash will benefit in the future from it.
Like I said previously, they need to find a way to means test it.
People on final salary pension do not need a rise to their state pension.
It’s stupid to talk about people benefiting from their parents in the future - by the time that happens, they’ll likely be in their sixties.
What’s the point of having money when you’re old when you can’t afford to live somewhere decent or start a family when you’re young?

Reactions: 4
Like I said previously, they need to find a way to jeans test it.
People on final salary pension do not need a rise to their state pension.
It’s stupid to talk about people benefiting from their parents in the future - by the time that happens, they’ll likely be in their sixties.
What’s the point of having money when you’re old when you can’t afford to live somewhere decent or start a family when you’re young?
You're right they don't, but if it ensures that those who need it get it then 🤷 I'd be for something to make it fairer and means test it, seen as though the government is woefully incompetent won't hold my breath. People are very fortunate if they don't lose their parents until their in their 60s.

You're right they don't, but if it ensures that those who need it get it then 🤷 I'd be for something to make it fairer and means test it, seen as though the government is woefully incompetent won't hold my breath. People are very fortunate if they don't lose their parents until their in their 60s.
Except the younger people who need it aren’t getting it. So it’s hard to be indifferent about it when they’re robbing an entire generation for the sake of pensioners.
I can’t shrug and say that it’s okay my friends use food banks because a blanket pension rise helps some people in need.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Surely those in their 60s can help their kids?

- edit- SHOULD help their kids/grandchildren. But of course many can’t or won’t. As you were!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Except the younger people who need it aren’t getting it. So it’s hard to be indifferent about it when they’re robbing an entire generation for the sake of pensioners.
I can’t shrug and say that it’s okay my friends use food banks because a blanket pension rise helps some people in need.
This exactly. I'm not going to celebrate pensioners universally and unfairly getting way more help because it's helps some when it comes at the cost of screwing over others.
I don't think adults should be at the mercy of their parents when the government could and should do so much more to address the widening intergenerational inequality.

It's mainly down to when people were born. Nothing to do with how hard they work or if they buy an avocado a week.

Reactions: 13
My parents are cash and asset rich. We do not receive any help from them. We are buying a house off them and we aren’t getting a single of penny of help to make it ‘mates rates’. We are being charged full market value, we are having to pay every penny of stamp duty, capital gains tax. There are ways of beating this such as trusts but they refuse to look at them.
We are extemely fortunate we can afford to do this I may add.
However my parents have so much money they don’t know what to do with it. So my dad spends his time writing emails to the bank about his interest levels

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The National Living Wage rise has irritated me. I still don't understand how they can justify paying a 17 year old pot-washer or whatever almost literally half of what a 23 year old would get, and a 20 year old 3 quid less an hour. It's the same job, you don't magically get better at pot washing at 23. That minimum wage has barely moved since I was a kid, it's appalling.

I wonder if more kids in education are going to end up with part time jobs to help with household expenses? I worked from 17, but it was to pay for things like driving lessons, not the gas bill.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The National Living Wage rise has irritated me. I still don't understand how they can justify paying a 17 year old pot-washer or whatever almost literally half of what a 23 year old would get, and a 20 year old 3 quid less an hour. It's the same job, you don't magically get better at pot washing at 23. That minimum wage has barely moved since I was a kid, it's appalling.

I wonder if more kids in education are going to end up with part time jobs to help with household expenses? I worked from 17, but it was to pay for things like driving lessons, not the gas bill.
It’s ridiculous too - some people might have to pay rent on their own place at 18 and even have kids but some 23 year olds live at home.
Age does not necessarily reflect your outgoing

In theory, I don't mind paying higher taxes if I knew the public services were there for me and others when needed. I've been reading about Nordic countries who pay high taxes but have free university education, excellent free healthcare, good public services, accessible social services etc and I love the sound of it, but I just don't see the UK going down this route. After todays budget, I feel like the majority of PAYE workers will be working hard, living smaller more miserable lives and benefitting very little from the taxes we pay. Feel a bit defeated by it all tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
If they’re anything like my parents they’ll say “WE never relied on hand outs and did it ourselves, so you should too”.
My ex's parents were exactly like this. In a way I don't blame them as it's almost understandable that they have no clue how different everything from jobs to housing is these days.

But it was rather ridiculous them claiming to have never had a penny from the state despite both taking a state pension for many years, both had free university, having 3 children educated in state schools, complicated ongoing health issues treated by the NHS, surely took a family allowance and many other services they made use of but didn't for a second consider it a cost. The worst about working hard for every single penny was his mum, who gave up work not long after graduating to raise a family.😐

My ex's parents were exactly like this. In a way I don't blame them as it's almost understandable that they have no clue how different everything from jobs to housing is these days.

But it was rather ridiculous them claiming to have never had a penny from the state despite both taking a state pension for many years, both had free university, having 3 children educated in state schools, complicated ongoing health issues treated by the NHS, surely took a family allowance and many other services they made use of but didn't for a second consider it a cost. The worst about working hard for every single penny was his mum, who gave up work not long after graduating to raise a family.😐
My mum claims to deserve a triple lock pension, as she’s worked hard her entire life, and yet she only ever worked 2-3 days a week.

• Haha
  • Wow

They already are. I'm a college lecturer and 95% of my students work more than part time (16-18 year olds). We have so many students leaving early to start shifts, sometimes not even turning up on timetabled days because they need to be earning. It puts soo much pressure on them, it's really tough.

• Sad
  • Heart
Not all pensioners are wealthy but those will live longer. There is still quite disparity in the life expectancy depending on social class.

(I work in a wealthy city and you see all the ladies that never worked in their life, dying in their 100 years old +. Good for them but it's quite different in the working class).

Reactions: 4

I remember this well from my first job at 16, always was minimum wage but we all did the same jobs just us younger ones got paid less for it, im sure at one point they moved the age range so us who thought we were getting a pay rise at 21 (or whatever the upper limit was) got shafted!

Reactions: 3
My parents benefitted from decent final salary pensions and buying when it was affordable. They spent their cost of living payments whilst on approx their 4th holiday of the year.

Whilst I'm living in a damp rented tiny house with a child, with no chance of ever affording to buy or even move.

My mother asked how I was going to afford the heating, when I said I couldn't, she suggested a fleece.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.