Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I noticed that too! The gronlid 3 seater with chaise was £530 in 2021 and is now £880
I'm not surprised, prices of materials are much higher ans they produce most of their stuff in EU countries so transport costs, Brexit etc.

Reactions: 5
Is anyone else noticing more people on the motorways driving a bit under the speed limit? Less people doing 70-80 mph than there used to be from what I've seen. I know my car is more efficient at 50-60.

Reactions: 7
Is anyone else noticing more people on the motorways driving a bit under the speed limit? Less people doing 70-80 mph than there used to be from what I've seen. I know my car is more efficient at 50-60.
I thought this the other day but I wondered if it was because there are so many smart motorways now we’re all a bit more conditioned to driving to the speed limit.

Reactions: 4
Not on my bloody commute. Got arseholes roaring past in big cars doing 70 in a 50 zone 😖

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I’m not a frequent enough motorway driver to comment tbh but I’ve been pleasantly surprised down narrow / windy country lanes where there are national speed limit signs that I’ve only had one person right up my arse getting aggy that I was going at 40, mostly people are going at 30-40.

Tho I guess that isn’t for fuel conservation and it’d be a risk to your life and others to do 60 on these particular roads (not saying this is the same for every country lane, everywhere obvs) but maybe people are being more prudent cos they don’t wanna clip their cars or others? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 2
Boomers on the radio going on about people on over 50k being really rich and they can just ditch one of their sports cars and manage just fine 🙄

50k really isn't that much when average house price is about 300k and rent is super expensive.

50k is a lot if you bought your house for buttons ages ago and have small outgoings.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
That’s crazy. I’ve not been for ages and I was shocked at some of the prices and yet other items had remained consistent. Typical it had to be what I wanted! My husband says I was being tight but I hate spending money when I don’t feel it’s value for money and I genuinely didn’t feel it was worth it for some flat pack furniture.
No wonder with the transports and raw materials.

Boomers on the radio going on about people on over 50k being really rich and they can just ditch one of their sports cars and manage just fine 🙄

50k really isn't that much when average house price is about 300k and rent is super expensive.

50k is a lot if you bought your house for buttons ages ago and have very small outgoings.
Its just painful. I dont think some older people really understand how difficult it is these days to afford a home to live in.

Do people these days have far more frivolities, Id say absolutely yes.

However income in correlation to house prices / rental costs is astronomical compared to any point in history.

Also how many people are actually on 50k plus in reality?!? 😭

Reactions: 13
Its just painful. I dont think some older people really understand how difficult it is these days to afford a home to live in.

Do people these days have far more frivolities, Id say absolutely yes.

However income in correlation to house prices / rental costs is astronomical compared to any point in history.

Also how many people are actually on 50k plus in reality?!? 😭
So many older people are totally out of touch.

Yes you can a big TV cheaply now rather than rent it and flights to Spain for £20 but the essentials cost so much. And this idea of retiring and having a few decades is only a dream for the younger generation.

Someone on 50k could easily have the same take home as someone else on benefits with the housing and child elements. Neither are living the life of Riley!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

50k is a lot if you bought your house for buttons ages ago and have very small outgoings.
Idk why there’s such a cognitive dissonance in the UK between income and wealth and anyone earning over £x must be living like Scrooge McDuck whilst no one wants to talk about the intergenerational wealth set who don’t have to earn as much because they’ve been gifted absolutely mammoth tax free wealth transfers in the form of parent gifted deposits! These are tax free afaik provided a parent doesn’t die in the 7 years following, but these transfers that are falsely bloating property prices for the rest of us who actually pay for them ourselves?

We need super aggressive wealth taxes asap and to reduce income tax massively, especially at the lower end.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m going to sound like a twit here but I wish old people would shut up saying they can’t afford to put the heating on. They were giving over £1000 this year including the warm home thing they get every year.

It’s parents and every body else that haven’t got the money to heat their homes.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I’m going to sound like a twit here but I wish old people would shut up saying they can’t afford to put the heating on. They were giving over £1000 this year including the warm home thing they get every year.

It’s parents and every body else that haven’t got the money to heat their homes.
They also had a life where they were able to pay off their mortgage young, many got very good pensions etc.

Reactions: 21
Look in an old persons trolley next time you’re food shopping.They always have about 8 bottles of red wine 😂 I’m in there buying the basics and they are down the alcohol aisle 🤣

They also had a life where they were able to pay off their mortgage young, many got very good pensions etc.
Many I know bought their houses for pennies and they are now worth close to 500k. It’s insane.

Reactions: 23

This is gonna be SUCH an unpopular opinion and I cba to row so won’t reply sorry -

But anecdotally I see so many older ppl living in £500k+ properties requiring social care or subsidies etc, just bleeping sell it?! I know councils are seriously struggling to pay for social care because of a gov funding shortfall, I know that some care costs are redeemable against property sales, but it’s INSANE to me seeing elderly ppl living in 3/4/5+ bed houses struggling financially and any subsidy whether through the state or adult children is just subsidising MC ppl’s inheritances.

Reactions: 18
It's like the elephant in the room with the older generation that no politician will dare mention. The lost generation is just about gone. Pensioners we have today are boomers who have never had it so good with homes, jobs, education, pensions etc. This generation took out far more than the ever put into the system. There's lots of very outdated stereotypes of pensioners. Dare I say most won't cope with the working conditions and expectations of today.

There's huge amounts of unearned income and the ni system is hugely unfair.

People today are paying for others to carry on having a lifestyle that they could only dream of having.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.