Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When did sugar go up I bulk brought a few start of Oct so went buy some on weekend in aldo was always 65p now 85p.
Couldn't get aldi bramwells ketchup only had heinz.
The value penne was 35p and spagetti was 23p now 41p and 28p.
Oils not gone up yet.
Passata tinned tomatoes and puree all gone up.

Lilds have copied so puree gone 39p to 43p
Tinned tomatoes 28p to 32p aldi price
Passatta stayed at 39p but 4 pack baked beans was £1.09 other week now £1.29 another 20p increase.

All adds up wonder if its peaked it will go up more.
Eggs and dairy either short or going up.

Oil still £2.10 1 litre sunflower
Coffee stil £2.39.

Trying to guess what will go up or short next.
Going to buy more tins , jars I think .

Eggs ,potatoes and tomato products all going up.
As does pasta/ oil and dairy.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Another retailer on the verge. I do find Joules things wear really well, expecially the coats. Only so many stripes or flowers you can wear though, they do seem stuck in a design rut.

Reactions: 10
Another retailer on the verge. I do find Joules things wear really well, expecially the coats. Only so many stripes or flowers you can wear though, they do seem stuck in a design rut.

I have a couple of things that last but as you say, their designs very repetitive and easily duplicated. Shame ☹

Reactions: 3
Just a quick trip to my local ALDI this morning. Noticed these prices:

Pasta sauce was £0. 59p. Now £0.74p each.
Olive oil 1L used to be around £2.30 . Now £3.99
Pasta used to be £0.59p Now £0.72p
Sunflower oil £1.09 Now £2.30

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13

wow even M & S do a cheaper Olive Oil, all these price jumps are crazy.
I just feel for those who foodwise cant cut down further as have already swapped to a lower brand etc. And I know lots of Autistic people struggle with changes in their food.

Reactions: 9

Morrisons are even worse.
They used to do a 69p frozen pizza that my daughter liked.. it’s now £2.20
My dairy free butter was 90p to £1.10. It’s now £2.25
Diced chicken was £2.40 it’s now £3.49
Tinned veg has all gone up by about 10p. Tinned sliced carrots used to be 20p now 35p
Curry paste was £2 now it’s £2.89

I could go on and on. Everything in that shop has skyrocketed.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Tinned veg has all gone up by about 10p. Tinned sliced carrots used to be 20p now 35p

They still do the pizza as i'm a fan of it too https://groceries.store.morrisons.com/products/111191524/details

Thats price changes that went live yesterday then.
As sunflower oil has been £2.10 for a while wondered if oil would continue to rise.
I think pasta sauce and pasta both went from 59p to 69p so 3 increase on pasta and 5p on sauces..

Noticed yesterday there's 10p difference in sugar 1kg in aldi 85p in lilds 75p used to be 65p a couple months ago when brought a few bags.

I used buy my kids the 69p 🍕 aldi do similar version.
£2.20 is crazy rise.
The worst for rises are Aldi which affects everyone else as tesco always price match to aldi and lidls catches up eventually.
Morrisions just don't seem to care about being competitive I mostly only buy branded offers or reductions in there.
Can still get reduced bread in there.
I do better at my tiny Morrisions daily on reductions they always have the Morrisions fresh pizzas half £3.49 down to £1.50 and I freeze them.
Other day got 5 packs reduced free range eggs 60 going to whisk 12 separate and freeze in silicone cake cases so 1 egg per portion to use in xmas baking.
Every little helps.

Brought 4 sugar lilds yesterday when realised was cheaper than aldi.
I'm going have pay new higher price of 43p puree.

But I beat the 20p rise on baked beans as went to big lilds 2 weeks ago as noticed some items cheaper than aldi.
They had massive stack of 4 pack beans and they were all in clingfilm so a tray had 6 4 packs.
So said to husband let's get 2 trays as that's 48 cans and got 1 extra loose 4 packs means I have 52 cans.
Only 3/4 kids like beans
I don't like them.
I would say we eat once a week as side and sometimes not even a whole can so if I split the can in half into small tupperware tub with lid and plan beans as side or on toast lunch or cooked breakfast I should have 1 years worth.
Based on what I brought 13 x4pks I saved £2.60, as 20p rise but they could go up again within next year.

I have a years worth value pasta so spaghetti and penne as been buying a couple Every week this year so not clearing the shelves.
When I started im Jan the penne was 28p bag abd spaghetti 20p.
Now aldi price is 28p spagetti and 41p penne.
Morrisions worse 32p spaghetti and 45p penne exactly same product and weight so my advice is do shop around.
I have no idea if may go up further as the durum wheat harvest was bad because heat..
I think our pasta wheat comes from Italy not Ukraine.
Standard bag non value pasta is 90p in tesco 89p Morrisions and 69p lilds.

Oil when Ukraine War started I really thought if I buy a years worth for family of 6 how much.
I settled on 12 bottles 6 sunflower and 6 olive as use both in any given month.
I paid £1.30 for sunflower and £2.79 lilds oil and £3 branded oil.
Now its £2.30 and £4
Its now nearly end of 2022 and I have 4 bottles of each left so think before xmas despite higher price might buy 2 more of each so can last all of 2023 without i buying cooking oil .
Had hoped get a air fryer on black Friday. Still can't decide which one I want.

I'm not doing years worth of everything so don't have space or the budget.
Just the everty day essential we use large volume that are going up.
If meats too pricy we have pasta/ oil/ rice/ beans/ lentils / herbs / spices and tomato products plus noodles still got some left of those we won't go hungry.
Be interesting next year see how much brings my grocery bill down and I will wrote down price at start of year and price end of year.
Do they think food inflation has peaked?
Wont xmas food shops mayhe boost this.

Dreading budget day thur.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
The Aldi Pasta was originally 55p then went to 59p.

Spaghetti at my local store aldi is at 72p there’s no cheaper option (it is a small store) . Still 46p from Sainsbury. When It used to be 40p.

You have saved by having paid old prices. It does also make sense to buy that extra cooking oil and other essentials for your family so you do have more through 2023/2024.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t truly think prices have peaked yet if people who have more experience in the food industry are still warning of even more price increases . Hope you and others do continue to prep. If you have extra you can still donate and it’s not panic buying.

I posted this on the CT thread, but world grain stores are also at the lowest level they’ve been.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5

Iceland do a dairy free butter/ spread called Free and it's £1 at the minute, if there's an Iceland near you

Reactions: 3
NB:

The Sainsbury's spaghetti I mentioned previously is now 56p.

Milk at M&S, ALDI and Sainsbury's has also gone up to now £1.65.

Reactions: 2
The Aldi Pasta was originally 55p then went to 59p.

Spaghetti at my local store aldi is at 72p there’s no cheaper option (it is a small store) . Still 46p from Sainsbury. When It used to be 40p.

You have saved by having paid old prices. It does also make sense to buy that extra cooking oil and other essentials for your family so you do have more through 2023/2024.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t truly think prices have peaked yet if people who have more experience in the food industry are still warning of even more price increases . Hope you and others do continue to prep. If you have extra you can still donate and it’s not panic buying.

I posted this on the CT thread, but world grain stores are also at the lowest level they’ve been.

To some extent with pasta and oil I started buying in spring so was ahead of the game on that.
Although have brought some of both at some higher prices too as got 1 bottle sunflower last month for £2.10 as want to keep 5 to 6 unopened at all times.
Paid 23p and 32p for some penne and spagetti.
Now I'm stopping buying it as I have enough for me and some to donate to food bank or help a local freind out.
I can see standard pasta being £1 bag before long and value 50p.
Aldi and lidls price are not that much cheaper than the big 4.
Tesco and marks and Spencer is cheaper on some things.

I mostly 80% bread or bakery products I buy reduced or get some free olio so not noticed the bread rises.

But milk? Eggs coffee, sugar cheese that will Hurt us we won't stop buying those items.
At the moment no recent rises in coffee or rice.
But some big price rises in tomato products, condiments/ noodles/ pasta and beans.

Officially Inflation 10.2 and food 14.8 but read in paper it's more like 20 to 30% uplift in prices some products.
Don't know of its the poor harvests
Low pound increasing import prices
Cost to transport
Or energy as guess a lot of tomatoes grown in greenhouses.
Italy have had poor durum wheat and tomato harvest this year.
With long life items like tinned and dried pasta guess stuff we eating now is the previous years harvest and stuff on shops next year will be stuff harvested in 2022 and be more costly.

Fail to see how rise base rates will dampen down food inflation

I think 2023 will be hard said it before my electric more than my gas.
So energy rise and lack 66 quid April despite being warmer do no heating on my energy bill will be more than we paying now.
Also everything else goes up in April.
My council is suggesting 3%increase in council tax
Not sure budget rises will hit us in April.
Everything goes up in April.

I saw this about egg shortages. Sounds like a mix of supermarkets not passing on price increases to farmers as well as avian flu

Attachments

• Sad
I honestly don’t know how people are coping. All these adverts for Christmas, holidays etc. the shops are so busy,

Reactions: 15
I honestly don’t know how people are coping. All these adverts for Christmas, holidays etc. the shops are so busy,
I don't get it either. We are absolutely drowning. I had to leave the Christmas thread because people kept talking about how much they were spending and all the activities they had booked and it was so upsetting. I don't understand how they can manage when EVERYTHING has risen so disproportionately with no more income to compensate.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I don't get it either. We are absolutely drowning. I had to leave the Christmas thread because people kept talking about how much they were spending and all the activities they had booked and it was so upsetting. I don't understand how they can manage when EVERYTHING has risen so disproportionately with no more income to compensate.
same, I feel like no one else around me is feeling the rising costs! 😩

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
It's always been a tale of two cities.

Some have really benefited from the pandemic. Others are so much worse off.

On the Christmas threads some were also going to go into their overdrafts/ debt for Christmas, with the expectation of having to buy presents for family members.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
People maxing out their credit cards & hoping things will be better in January??

Bit daft if they are doing this as I'm pretty sure we've got a good 6 months of this getting even worse, & who knows where we'll be this time next year as I can't see wholesale price reductions on the horizon at all!

☹

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.