Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have our target at 17 but we have turned it on a few times when its been 18/18.5 ( Mum has COPD & they recommend you have it at 18-21)
I've said before that we are aiming for around £4 a Day on the Gas but as it's getting colder we're going to up it I think.

My thermostat says it’s 22° in my house today with no heating on. I don’t think it can be right.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
British Gas have dealt with it very badly, right from the outset. Yes, emails were received well in advance confirming you don't need to do anything, then it went all downhill from there!

Staff had either no idea or incorrect info, if you were able to actually get through to them.
Why refund to bank accounts? Just made so much work for themselves & created lots of queries & frustration with customers.
It took weeks before anyone seemed to understand that if you paid your monthly bill in full by DD (not on a payment plan), the credit would stay on the account & come off the next bill (so we're a month behind in effect & Nov DD is the 1st reduced payment).
So if they could do that for one set of customers, why not others??
Prepayment meters/anyone who needed vouchers/codes/etc. also appears to have been a complete shambles.

A perfect lesson in how not to do customer service!
I get vouchers for my BG key meter and I've got to say I'm very happy so far. First one was a bit late, but no problem, it was very mild so didn't need any extra. Got my 2nd one yesterday, already whacked it on and currently have just over £100, the most I've ever had.
I think some people may be having problems if they haven't got access to a post office. The paypoint/payzone machines can't process the vouchers, it has to be done at a post office counter.

Reactions: 4
Reading through these posts is enlightening and depressing in equal measure, but it does seem to me that the ‘heavy lifting’ on cost of living falls disproportionally on women, particularly those with children. Thinking about, shopping for and cooking food, worrying about getting laundry clean and dry, keeping everyone warm. ‘Twas ever thus, my OH is mildly autistic, likes what he likes, has a food routine, but shows absolutely no interest in increased food prices, no matter how ridiculous the increase in his favourite cheese or ham. I know others are better, just wanted to say bloody well done, you’re all amazing. But you know, it shouldn’t have to be this way.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
My thermostat says it’s 22° in my house today with no heating on. I don’t think it can be right.
Mine does this and it costs a lot. It’s not faulty, I’ve been told it’s because of the location (tucked away in a small space that’s not centrally located). I can never just put my heating on at 18 or something when it’s really cold, it has to be in the 20’s. You can get them moved but not something my landlord would do.

Reactions: 1
This £66 a month of your bills is a farce. If you pay by DD it goes off your bill but if you pay cash you get vouchers which some will spend on other things. How is that fair?

This £66 a month of your bills is a farce. If you pay by DD it goes off your bill but if you pay cash you get vouchers which some will spend on other things. How is that fair?
It depends who you're with as some suppliers are refunding the £66 to direct debit customers.

I think that’s wrong. It will be a top up voucher that they have to take to the post office to get the credit put on.

I pay by DD and have effectively been given cash as instead of my £80 DD they only took £13

I have now increased my direct debit by £66 as I don't want or need the cash in my bank I want it on my energy account

I pay by DD and have effectively been given cash as instead of my £80 DD they only took £13

I have now increased my direct debit by £66 as I don't want or need the cash in my bank I want it on my energy account
Same my DD reduced so I effectively have extra ££ in the bank. Will not help at all with the fuel bill and easy not to realise and spend on food etc instead.

Same my

[/QUOTE]

It's not like an Argos voucher! You have to take it to a post office, with identification and your key, they scan voucher and put the amount on your key, it's only for electric.

Reactions: 8
I'm with British gas (smart meter to top up) and have had my second payment applied last week I think, it was early on the month anyway. It helps abit with costs.
Food shopping is the big one for us. We are a family of 5. 2 autistic boys who are fussy about foods/textures and don't really like to try any new fancy foods! We usually spend £120 and feel like we get alot for that money, last week I spent £140 on Aldi and still have meat in the freezer, plenty of freezer staples and that topped up washing powder and bath bits too. I work in another supermarket and see the price rise every week and regularly get customers complaining to me about it, I'm just as in shock as them!

We are with ovo we got a refund into the bank.

Issue we have is they keep suggesting slightly increasing the DD even though there was loads of saved up credit. So I removed some of the credit out of the account.

It's not like an Argos voucher! You have to take it to a post office, with identification and your key, they scan voucher and put the amount on your key, it's only for electric.
Maybe it depends on the supplier as they sent my mother a voucher which she took to the P.O and they gave my mother the cash.

• Wow
Maybe it depends on the supplier as they sent my mother a voucher which she took to the P.O and they gave my mother the cash.
Our supplier is Ecotricity. First they credited the account with the £66, then debited it, then they say they'll be paying it directly into the bank, which apparently most suppliers are meant to do with dd customers. Have yet to see it. Would have preferred it directly off the leccy bill but will gladly use it towards buying food etc.

Giving it as cash defeats the object - people will use it for other things and then struggle to pay the bill.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.