Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry it feels inappropriate to rave about dishwasher tablets after some of these awful stories re employers - but know there’s a lot of fans of Sainsbury’s Greencare (the method dupe?) - have just done my first dishwasher load with their tablets and ecover’s rinse aid and am really impressed! Both are septic tank friendly too.

Have just looked this up for the thread but the greencare ones 10p a wash versus fairy platinum 18p a wash (whilst on sale) so a good switch? No idea how to figure out the per wash for rinse aid but the ecover stuff is £6 per litre vs Sainsbury’s own which is £4.75 so is more expensive.

Reactions: 5
My brother is a newly qualified junior doctor. He says the exact same thing. That he wants to quit and go back to the admin job he had during university. He had a good shift pattern on the weekends starting at 8am and ending at 4pm. It's the culture of doing extra overtime when your shift has ended , being left on your own without proper supervision and the night shifts he's hating. He already has bad mental health and it is effecting him.

I don't think more money matters if your health is suffering.
Surely if you're a doctor (minimum 9 years studying including practice ?), you know you won't have a 9-5 job.

Reactions: 7
Surely if you're a doctor (minimum 9 years studying including practice ?), you know you won't have a 9-5 job.
Same with nursing, perhaps a culture of overworking yourself with minimal breaks beyond set shift hours should not be the accepted norm?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I have noticed that community? Centres attached to churches have booklets on what local help is available. The one I picked up for my area was really good and it even had the costs of using an airfryer against other forms of cooking.
I also noticed libraries are doing leaflets as well. I was told to join my local library or we would lose it. I have passed the message on and other people are joining too. They also visit people at home who can't get out to deliver books so that will be great for my dad and auntie.
I have just been to a garden centre today and they had some stunning things in there which I would buy as presents for people but would say how much!! for myself.
I got some great bulbs half price (to be planted by December) and I saw some seed packets that were really attractive if you were making up a mini hamper for someone. They were by Thompson and Morgan. Here they are:-
IMG_20221108_133919.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 9
There was a nurse on the radio today saying she was thinking about quitting and getting a min wage job in a supermarket as she would be better off.
I don't understand? A nurse starts on 27k and rises to 35k when qualified. That's way above minimum wage?
Average nurse salary here is $72,000, highest is $92,000. 46k/60kgbp.

Doctor's is 230,000. 150k gbp.

My aunt who is a GP is on £100k. Private practice.
One cousin earns £40k. The other cousin is not working at all following blood clots in her lungs.

Same with nursing, perhaps a culture of overworking yourself with minimal breaks beyond set shift hours should not be the accepted norm?
Without investing considerable money, the jobs won't be attractive and the shortage of staff will continue. But I reckon it's more complicated than that.
Also, is it not a health public sector issue (like in France)? So private hospitals are working better.

What is your country?

I know a few nurses and midwives that quit and work 9-5 jobs. They hated their jobs and it’s better hours around their kids.

Reactions: 4
on Tesco you can add your last order to basket by clicking a button so I checked mine.
It was ordered 12th Oct & cost £135.71 Today it'll cost £152.26!
I dont usually quote myself but did it again & Today it's £154.06

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
Had the in-laws over this evening for their usual post-holiday cuppa (their holiday, not ours 🙄).

They moaned the house was cold. Had to calmly explain that the thermostat was set to 17 degrees which is more than adequate, and sadly all we can afford if we want to make it through the winter. We simply put an extra layer on (Amazon oodies in our case) or get the dog to sit on top of us to warm up!

Not my fault they'd come from their sauna of a home, and don't need to worry about bills. Their idea of saving money was instead of getting their usual monthly box of wine from Laithwaites, they got the 25% off 6 bottles at Asda 🙄

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
In what world does an admin role mean you'vebeen to uni?! I manage 6 admin, not one has a degree!
What?! I know plenty of people who work admin jobs who have a degree. Finance admin. Banking admin. Insurance admin. Or are you assuming admin means an office junior role?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Just wondered if anyones employers are doing anything to support employees who are finding themselves using food banks or struggling to pay bills. Outside of increasing wages, has anyone been offered any support?
Absolutely nothing, we've asked for a pay rise due to COL and been told no.

• Sad
  • Heart

Average 46k? Where? My relatives are both band 7 Ward Clerks earning less than that after careers of 20+ years. Nurses are not paid well as a general rule.

Reactions: 1
In what world does an admin role mean you'vebeen to uni?! I manage 6 admin, not one has a degree!
The OP was suggesting that they would be better off finanically by quitting health care and getting an admin job because of the pension conts and student loan repayments. I was simply pointing out that that person would still have student loan repayments if they moved into an admin role. Not hard to understand...

I know ton of people with degrees who work in admin roles, I don’t think it’s that unusual.
my first job was in HR Admin and 90% of the department had degrees

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I know ton of people with degrees who work in admin roles, I don’t think it’s that unusual.
my first job was in HR Admin and 90% of the department had degrees
I think half my office have degrees! Half of them are relevant to their role (accounting etc) and the other half are things like English, business, history etc.

Reactions: 6
I know a few nurses and midwives that quit and work 9-5 jobs. They hated their jobs and it’s better hours around their kids.
Better for them and for the patients. Imagine being in position of vulnerability (sick or wounded...) and attended by someone who hates his job.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.