Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Back to the pet food BS stories like that and the one I have linked to have so many holes all it does IMO is make those who are not suffering from the recession believe that no one is, so the media have to make up stupid stories. as they cannot find anyone really suffering.

A 20-year-old is sharing his daily battles amid the cost of living crisis as he struggles to pay his energy bills and feed himself. Ashley Goudou, from Mancroft, Bristol, lives alone in a one-bedroom flat along with his four dogs and four rescue cats. He works 10-hour shifts seven days a week on £6.81 an hour, and cannot afford a pedal bike to get to work.

The factory worker walks an hour in the dark to get to his night stint and lives off Pot Noodles, as that's the cheapest meal he can make. Ashley told the Mirror : "I shower at the gym because I can't afford the gas to wash at home. I always worry at the end of the month if I have enough money to feed the dogs - but I'd rather feed them than myself."

Much more BS on the link

Pet insurance for 8 animals? 😱 he needs to get rid, he cant afford them.

Reactions: 1
Overheard a conversation in a restaurant today (I wasn't eavesdropping, he was broadcasting quite loudly) where someone said "I mean, does anybody actually work for less than £14 an hour these days?" in the tone of voice that implied no sane person would do so and I was so cross that I very nearly got up, went over to his table, tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Yes, I do, and probably so do most of the people currently serving you this wonderful meal." But they'd probably have thrown me out and I hadn't finished eating, so I bottled it!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Overheard a conversation in a restaurant today (I wasn't eavesdropping, he was broadcasting quite loudly) where someone said "I mean, does anybody actually work for less than £14 an hour these days?" in the tone of voice that implied no sane person would do so and I was so cross that I very nearly got up, went over to his table, tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Yes, I do, and probably so do most of the people currently serving you this wonderful meal." But they'd probably have thrown me out and I hadn't finished eating, so I bottled it!
The ignorance of some people is literally astounding

Reactions: 12
Another one living in his bubble

Reactions: 4
Another one living in his bubble
I think some people want to brand themselves as in a bubble beyond ~the little ppl~ to make out they’re doing far, far better than they really are? Like those comments are born through insecurity and only an actual thickos wouldn’t be aware of the minimum wage and median wages and wealth inequality in this country so it does the complete opposite to me I just think corr how thick must u be to be like this? Like the sort probably living off their parents or credit rather than actually doing anything in their own right? 🤷🏻‍♀️

The person could also be part of the ones who made a lot of money through the pandemic.

There is a clear divide between the people who got richer and those who are still suffering the consequences of the pandemic. This person might be part of the first group and is surrounded by similar people.

Reactions: 2
The person could also be part of the ones who made a lot of money through the pandemic.

There is a clear divide between the people who got richer and those who are still suffering the consequences of the pandemic. This person might be part of the first group and is surrounded by similar people.
I don't know, he's just rude.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

I fall into this bucket as do most of our friends and none of us would ever speak like this? Like comfortable or not we still exist in a society amongst others and it’s impossible to ignore widening wealth inequality in this country + how criminally underpaid the vast majority of ppl are. And then to be boastful about it is 🤢.

Although tbh that sort of punching down is something you see more in young tories who don’t earn enough to warrant their political views so I’m gonna assume he has status anxiety and is acting out on it but it’s vile behaviour, no excuses imo.

This month has been an expensive one so far. My car finance came to an end so I had the balloon payment which I'd been saving for leave which means with rent/council tax/car/other expenses over £7k left my account in 1 day 😥. I've moved my one remaining bit of debt, about £850 onto a new credit card with 0% on balance transfers for 20 months and then, once I've cleared that, will be debt free. Debating on still keeping a credit card or something open for that credit score benefit as having no debt/finance agreements could make it difficult for me to get anything like that in the future - should house prices fall to a level where I can actually afford to buy somewhere on my own in the South East which is highly unlikely I know - I don't want having no credit at all to affect that. Not sure if that does though?

I transferred over to Octopus at the beginning of October but there was a bit of an issue with my tariff disappearing from my account and they never set my direct debit back up when they said they would too so I have a feeling I've missed the November £66 so I expect that'll be a hassle to try and trace. Got the October one with my previous supplier and on 1st December got what I assume in Dec's one. Anyone else on Octopus know when their payments go in and if there is a delay so it might well be Nov's payment on 1st Dec?
I’m with Octopus and the government £66 goes in on the 1st of the month.

I fall into this bucket as do most of our friends and none of us would ever speak like this? Like comfortable or not we still exist in a society amongst others and it’s impossible to ignore widening wealth inequality in this country + how criminally underpaid the vast majority of ppl are. And then to be boastful about it is 🤢.

Although tbh that sort of punching down is something you see more in young tories who don’t earn enough to warrant their political views so I’m gonna assume he has status anxiety and is acting out on it but it’s vile behaviour, no excuses imo.
I would have put him at about my husband's age, maybe a little older, so mid-to-late 50s. On holiday with his wife and another couple, staying in B&Bs, guest houses and small hotels around the north of Scotland, and complaining loudly about most of them, as well as the fact that they'd found two items in the House of Bruar (kind of like Harrods, but in Perthshire) that weren't made in Scotland, which horrified them.

• Wow
I would have put him at about my husband's age, maybe a little older, so mid-to-late 50s. On holiday with his wife and another couple, staying in B&Bs, guest houses and small hotels around the north of Scotland, and complaining loudly about most of them, as well as the fact that they'd found two items in the House of Bruar (kind of like Harrods, but in Perthshire) that weren't made in Scotland, which horrified them.
He sounds spiritually clapped tbh, obviously these ppl are mean and cruel but you can only think thick as tit as well? If everyone was earning >£14 per hour that would be reflected in the goods and services you’re buying and it’s very clearly not. I’m sorry you had to listen to such a hateful man but thank god you don’t have to live life with a key stage 2 level of understanding about society and the economy tbh.

Reactions: 5
The people who don’t believe the dog food story have obviously never been so skint they can’t afford to buy a pot noodle. As another poster stated, the person maybe have only had dog food in the house 🙁
Not true, I've been very poor at times, and had to use food banks, etc.
I do acknowledge that some people have issues that I don't, such as poor mental health, domestic violence, addictions, homelessness and so on. I do count myself fortunate in that I've always managed to keep my life organised even when I had virtually no money. Poverty in the UK is a very complex issue, and sensationalist stories don't really help matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
On the topic of childcare costs. My youngest has a virus and been vomitting on and off since Friday. Quite rightly there's a 48 hour rule applied to children who are being sick. Parents are asked to essentially keep their children off for roughly 2 days to make sure the bug is out their system. You still have to pay childcare costs even if your child is unwell and cannot attend. This is not a whinge and I realise our household is quite fortunate that we can absorb that cost. But there must be many families out there paying for childcare and having to either call in sick or take unpaid leave from work to take care of unwell children.

I must admit it has made me rethink whether I should look for a new job once I'm made redundant in January. My current employers have been very flexible but I can't count on my next lot being as easy going.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I’m with Octopus and the government £66 goes in on the 1st of the month.
Thank you for confirming this 🙂. I definitely have missed the 1st Nov one then so have sent them an email to trace. I had been with them for 18 days by the time that payment was due through them so hopefully they can resolve it.

On the topic of childcare costs. My youngest has a virus and been vomitting on and off since Friday. Quite rightly there's a 48 hour rule applied to children who are being sick. Parents are asked to essentially keep their children off for roughly 2 days to make sure the bug is out their system. You still have to pay childcare costs even if your child is unwell and cannot attend. This is not a whinge and I realise our household is quite fortunate that we can absorb that cost. But there must be many families out there paying for childcare and having to either call in sick or take unpaid leave from work to take care of unwell children.

I must admit it has made me rethink whether I should look for a new job once I'm made redundant in January. My current employers have been very flexible but I can't count on my next lot being as easy going.
I hate it when my kids are ill. Little one had chicken pox recently, week off nursery at £55 a days, £275 worth of childcare paid out and he was home 🙈

• Sad
Has anybody got one of those foot warmer things? They look ridiculous and the last thing I want is more clutter. But I'm using a hot water bottle for my feet when on the sofa and I know I'm going to stand on it and pop it sooner or later

Amazon product
I got thermal socks from Home Bargains and they work great for me!

Reactions: 1
I got thermal socks from Home Bargains and they work great for me!
I have a heated throw and it is amazing. Well worth it and not expensive to run. I would look into that instead of this foot warmer.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.