Discontent #6 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I took daily reads when we moved to our current home, but that's not going to help you know in advance.

Our incredibly inefficient under floor heating & poorly insulated new build E rated flat cost about £5 per day in winter, some 5 years ago! So I know what we've got coming 😔, if it gets really cold I'm predicting £800+, but hoping for nearer £600 p/mth if milder 😳

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I was at a family birthday this weekend and one of the guests is a teacher. Teachers here earn pretty decent money, you probably don't get rich, but it's very decent, they get paid year-round (I heard that in the states, teachers often don't get the money during summer break) and most of them enjoy the benefit of being state-employed, so it's an extremely secure job.
Anyways, the teacher lady was really worried about staying warm and narrated some scheme she had thought of about how she was going to place some tealights under the desk to warm her feet :oops: that sounds like a nightmare to happen and a serious fire hazard. Some other guests actually pointed that out, but she wouldn't budge. I rarely see this woman and she's always a tad overdramatic, but I very much do hope that people don't resort to placing candles around their feet!
This is something that really worries me. I’m not normally a prepped-type, but I had a conversation with my partner the other day about putting all of our important documents and so in a bag so that it’s easy to grab. I strongly suspect that we’re going to see a big increase in house-fires over the winter as people resort to really unsafe ways of heating their homes and cooking, or start messing with meters and connections. I live in a terrace and if one of my neighbours has a fire, we’d probably be told to get out too - it’s quite scary because our local services are already stretched and the thought of waiting a long time for a fire engine is worrying.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Out of interest do you think landlords will put clauses in or subsidise for heating to be turned on? I don't know much about it but from what I've read, not having the heating on at all can cause mould or pipes bursting and obviously a private landlord would want to avoid that??

Reactions: 7
Out of interest do you think landlords will put clauses in or subsidise for heating to be turned on? I don't know much about it but from what I've read, not having the heating on at all can cause mould or pipes bursting and obviously a private landlord would want to avoid that??
This is a good point. If I rented a house out I don’t think I would be keen on the idea of the heating never being turned on to be honest. You can understand those not wanting to turn it on due to the cost though. It’s just an impossible situation.

Reactions: 4
Thanks, I’ll have to look. I do find wool tends to make me itch like crazy though, I always avoid woolly jumpers for that reason. I don’t usually struggle as much to warm up my body, it’s my extremities - hands and feet. I’ll have to see if fingerless gloves help and thick socks.
Run a bit of hot water in a bowl or the sink and stick your feet in to get them warm before you put your socks on, it really helps x

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
This is something that really worries me. I’m not normally a prepped-type, but I had a conversation with my partner the other day about putting all of our important documents and so in a bag so that it’s easy to grab. I strongly suspect that we’re going to see a big increase in house-fires over the winter as people resort to really unsafe ways of heating their homes and cooking, or start messing with meters and connections. I live in a terrace and if one of my neighbours has a fire, we’d probably be told to get out too - it’s quite scary because our local services are already stretched and the thought of waiting a long time for a fire engine is worrying.
I was talking to a friend yesterday who said he is off to IKEA to stock up on candles as it will be cheaper than putting the heating on. The first thing that came to mind is the risk of house fires. He's not even struggling financially but worried about putting his heating on. He was talking about rigging up those terracotta pots. It scared me a bit. I love a scented candle on a Saturday night in but to have them burning all day odds are mistakes and accidents will happen. 😬

• Wow
Just for balance and out of interest, how are you planning or hoping to keep your chin up this winter?

I'm so filled with dread about, yanno, all of the above 👆, and then there is the added pressure of Christmas and the nights drawing in, the endless gloom till spring, etc, etc... My mental health is gonna be in the shitter! 😂 (😭).

Have you got something to look forward to? A strategy for not letting it get you down?
Tips & tricks for things to cheer yourself up in the cold, in the dark, and dark in poverty gratefully received!

I'm researching hibernation 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 12
There will be a clause to adequately look after the property, which if you don't you could lose your deposit. I don't know if many would subsidies it though.

Reactions: 3
Just for balance and out of interest, how are you planning or hoping to keep your chin up this winter?

I'm so filled with dread about, yanno, all of the above 👆, and then there is the added pressure of Christmas and the nights drawing in, the endless gloom till spring, etc, etc... My mental health is gonna be in the shitter! 😂 (😭).

Have you got something to look forward to? A strategy for not letting it get you down?
Tips & tricks for things to cheer yourself up in the cold, in the dark, and dark in poverty gratefully received!

I've had it downloaded for ages and not read it but I think the book Wintering looks a bit at how to live more seasonally and get through the darker months/periods of life. I think i will read it this autumn to get my head in the right zone for winter! https://www.waterstones.com/book/wintering/katherine-may/9781846045998

• Heart
Reactions: 8

I’m going to sound like an absolute gigantic cock and I’m actually embarrassed to type this out but what does genuinely help me if finding the joy in small things.

It sounds stupid and pathetic but even something as small as the wild rabbit that hops around the gardens outside my house, or that my water is lovely cold from the fridge in the morning, getting home after a long day and snuggling up in my dressing gown, a new episode of a tv show or podcast, small things like that really help me. I find that it breaks up the tit of everything else when I can find the happiness in something small cause you’ll always have small things. For example, the thing that gets me through the thought of Monday is knowing that my favourite podcast releases its new episode so I know Monday morning I’ll get to the office, put my headphones on and listen to it and I’ll enjoy it.

Also knowing it’ll pass, it’s tit at the time but I just think “well in 6 months I’ll be bitching about the heat and the bright nights so might as well enjoy it”.

ETA: That’s actually what got me through the heat this time tbh. The thought of making the most of it because in a few months it’ll be dark and cold and I’ll be longing to go on my weekend walks without freezing my ass off

It’s not great but it does help me

• Heart
Reactions: 31
No chance of a private landlord subsidising anything. They can't possibly tighten their profit margins. They will rub their hands together with glee as they rinse damage deposits instead.

One of my landlords when I was a student expected us to purchase a lawnmower to keep the lawn mowed. Our tenancy was for 9 months.
I've also lived in numerous properties with no outside space and no space for a tumble dryer which prohibit drying laundry inside. Presumably I was supposed to use the washing machine provided but then take my wet washing to a launderette to dry. Landlords won't be helping anyone but themselves.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 6

I'm getting my old jigsaws out of the loft, making some good playlists of music for my phone or cheapy mp3 player, got some knitting to do and just started learning crochet, plus I've always wanted to read by candlelight! Also planning on going for lots of walks with a camping mug of hot chocolate or cup a soup. Got a big box of photos that never seem to get sorted so I'm also saving them to go through and cut them up and stick them in a book on days when I am really feeling yuck. I struggle with the winter months too so I always try and make a plan beforehand, I really hope you get some good ideas to try, look after yourself xx

• Heart
Reactions: 15

I'd love to hibernate! Jan-March is particularly pointless and once I win the lottery I'll be out of the country from 1st Jan until spring starts.

Finding things to keep your spirits up that don't cost much money is hard! At the moment I can think of ...

Warm, filling food with cheap ingredients, even better if it can be made in a slow cooker. Lots of stews, soups and crumbles. I'm a bit of a comfort eater!

Cosy nights in reading. I've stopped buying books completely and like to make an event out of walking to the library, maybe with a flask of hot chocolate or something.

Walks are nice but only if we get one of those American TV show autumns/winters. It's normally damp and a bit rubbish in the UK though!

Realising that after Dec 21 the days actually get longer. The knowledge that each day is a bit easier than the last keeps me going!

• Heart
I'm getting my old jigsaws out of the loft, making some good playlists of music for my phone or cheapy mp3 player, got some knitting to do and just started learning crochet, plus I've always wanted to read by candlelight! Also planning on going for lots of walks with a camping mug of hot chocolate or cup a soup. Got a big box of photos that never seem to get sorted so I'm also saving them to go through and cut them up and stick them in a book on days when I am really feeling yuck. I struggle with the winter months too so I always try and make a plan beforehand, I really hope you get some good ideas to try, look after yourself xx
Also, I really suck at jigsaws so they do take me ages and I download a few episodes of something funny like Blackadder to watch on my phone while doing it 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I doubt they’d provide subsidies but most ‘standard’ rental contracts do already have clauses in about heating and ventilation and so on. I think what you’re more likely to see are more inspections and more landlords keeping deposits for things like damp and mould, and more cases of tenants being taken to the small claims court for things like damage from burst pipes. You’d hope a landlord would have insurance but probably those premiums will increase a lot if it’s anticipated that more claims will be made in cases where houses have been neglected.

Reactions: 4

As the poster above said I'm going to enjoy the little/simple things. Curled up on my sofa, under as many blankets as I can find with a Hot chocolate . I'm going to attempt to make some Christmas bunting from some material I have been given, I'm not very good at sewing but surely it can't be that hard 😂😂 I've a stack of books that I plan to read. And as for Christmas I'm putting no pressure on myself, I'm scaling it back this year and going to have a really simple Christmas. I've bought new lights for my tree and fingers crossed the above mentioned bunting won't be a total disaster and that's all I'm buying in regards to decorations, I shall enjoy the decorations I already have. Presents wise I am going to buy something edible or drinkable for everyone, that I know they enjoy and not waste money on pointless tat. This winter will be hard but I'm just going to appreciate what I do have and enjoy the little things

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m just thinking of the baby boom next autumn with everyone going to bed early to save on the leccy 🤣🙈🙈🙈 xx

• Haha
Reactions: 12
For a rough guide check use last year, take an average over a few months use & divide by how many hours per day it was on, then check that against October kwh rates? Will be very individual use due to your home, boiler & heating system.
My gas use over the last 12 month is high for a 3 bed semi 14000 kwh. In winter I did leave the heat on most of the day 😬

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.