Discontent #4 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My wages are due but my boss has taken sick so I don’t know when I’ll get paid. I have an autistic child who only eats certain food and my fridge is empty. I have no idea what I’m going to do. I have no other income.
Just a thought. Have you any points on loyalty cards? Any cashback that you have forgotten about. Also reductions at the end of the day can be good on fresh items. Anything you can sell on FB? Do you pay rent could you negotiate a reduction?

Reactions: 4
We don't drink & I do an online meat order to fill the freezer for about £65-70 every 5 or 6 weeks.

Very few processed/expensive items, nearly all fresh goods & probably two thirds tesco regular own branded range.

I could happily shop at Lidl every week (no local Aldi & only a Sainsbury near us), but husband is too picky on food unfortunately! 🤦‍♀️

Scan & shop is main reason for tesco, so easy! Don't know why more don't offer it. Quality is pretty consistent at ours, but short dates on nearly everything we bought today. Regular stuff that's usually got at least a week on it was all just 2-3 days at most, even if I ferreted my way to the fresher ones at the back of the shelves 😏
The dates seem so short! I keep buying stuff and then 2 days later it’s past it’s best. I use common sense but i don’t remember the dates being so short a few years ago.

Reactions: 6
There's olio I think it's spelt where you can get free food. Friend of mines on there and it's mad how nuch stuff she gets.
Thanks for this, I’ve just signed up to Olio. Nothing much on there yet but I’ll keep checking.

Just a thought. Have you any points on loyalty cards? Any cashback that you have forgotten about. Also reductions at the end of the day can be good on fresh items. Anything you can sell on FB? Do you pay rent could you negotiate a reduction?
Absolutely bugger all unfortunately. I recently sold my daughters old clothes and baby stuff to be able to afford her birthday presents for next month. Don’t think I have anything else worth selling, just my car which I need to get to work. I do pay rent and I’m already in arrears but luckily my landlord is understanding.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sainsburys and Asda both do scan & shop.
Sainsburys and Asda both do scan & shop. I do my main shop at Sainsburys nowadays. I like their range and they do “My Nectar price” offers if you use their SmartShop app. This is basically where you pay a reduced price for regular items you buy. Some weeks are better than others for the offers, but it’s definitely worthwhile. I find it cheaper than Tesco and I prefer their own brand stuff.
I prefer Sainsbury's own brand too but no scan & shop at our local one, wish there was. Living in the middle of nowhere, I ought to be grateful for any supermarket choice really, when I say local, I mean within a 30 min drive! 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 2
I prefer Sainsbury's own brand too but no scan & shop at our local one, wish there was. Living in the middle of nowhere, I ought to be grateful for any supermarket choice really, when I say local, I mean within a 30 min drive! 🤦‍♀️
Can you use SmartShop on your phone? That's what I do in Sainsbury's and it's really simple.

Reactions: 4
The local Aldi has had to get a security guard because so many people are helping themselves same with Asda now 3 security guards when there used to be 1. Sad thing is both these stores are in very upmarket part of town, so imagine how those who are not so well off are managing.
I noticed I was being stopped for random scan checks on the Tesco scan as you shop. And I've seen lots of other people getting stopped too. So I think they have upped the amount it does a manual scan. I assume because of people taking stuff.

Reactions: 3
Thanks for this, I’ve just signed up to Olio. Nothing much on there yet but I’ll keep checking.

Absolutely bugger all unfortunately. I recently sold my daughters old clothes and baby stuff to be able to afford her birthday presents for next month. Don’t think I have anything else worth selling, just my car which I need to get to work. I do pay rent and I’m already in arrears but luckily my landlord is understanding.
I do surveys online for money, I find prolific & panelchamp the quickest. panelchamp if you choose paypal though it takes off a few pence so I now pick amazon vouchers.
I've also seen people mention attapoll which is a survey app you download to your phone, and they say its good/quick.
If you have a Nectar Card theres nectar canvass which pays in points.

Reactions: 7
I noticed I was being stopped for random scan checks on the Tesco scan as you shop. And I've seen lots of other people getting stopped too. So I think they have upped the amount it does a manual scan. I assume because of people taking stuff.
Do you put things back that you’ve scanned by accident? That happens to me when I change my mind.

Interesting video on food situation broken down in layman terms

Reactions: 3
Do you put things back that you’ve scanned by accident? That happens to me when I change my mind.
I actually scan and then remove stuff a lot just to check the price. I usually get a scan check if I buy alcohol or anything that is unusual for me. But then about a month ago I started getting scanned loads, and if I'm not being scanned, someone next to me is getting scanned. I definitely think they have increased how often the machine scans people.

Reactions: 1

Interesting video on food situation broken down in layman terms
Interesting video, thank you for sharing. He’s right, I think there’s a perfect storm brewing right now and supply will dry up. Prices will inflate and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re heading for financial crash as a result too. It does make me wonder why we can’t manufcture our own fertiliser and grain on a larger scale though. Why are we so complacent relying on 1 or 2 countries for the most common food items?

• Heart
Interesting video, thank you for sharing. He’s right, I think there’s a perfect storm brewing right now and supply will dry up. Prices will inflate and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re heading for financial crash as a result too. It does make me wonder why we can’t manufcture our own fertiliser and grain on a larger scale though. Why are we so complacent relying on 1 or 2 countries for the most common food items?
my husband, who admittedly is a bit doom and gloom but has had the nerve to predict a lot of things accurately, 😂 thinks depression in looming. We are going to wake up one day to financial crash and find our money in the bank is worth nothing because of stagflation.

Reactions: 5
Can you use SmartShop on your phone? That's what I do in Sainsbury's and it's really simple.
Yeah that’s what I use too and then scan the code from my phone at the self-service checkouts. I think that’s the only way to do it at Sainsburys, they don’t have gadgets you use to scan things like Asda.

Reactions: 1
Yeah that’s what I use too and then scan the code from my phone at the self-service checkouts. I think that’s the only way to do it at Sainsburys, they don’t have gadgets you use to scan things like Asda.
I use my phone at Sainsburies too - means I don’t have to use one of the in store zapper guns, however, my nearest Sainsburies does have the zappers like Asda and Tesco do. I guess it depends on the individual stores.

my husband, who admittedly is a bit doom and gloom but has had the nerve to predict a lot of things accurately, 😂 thinks depression in looming. We are going to wake up one day to financial crash and find our money in the bank is worth nothing because of stagflation.
I agree, the percentages that things are going up by is unsustainable. People are already being priced out of heating their homes and eating decently, a financial crash on top will cause chaos.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Glad I’ve found this thread! Hope everyone is well.

So I am SICK of the cost of living like everyone else. My only plus is that I’ve qualified for 2 year funding so my childcare bill is even less than it was (very lucky I know).

For context I’m part time 3 days a week due to having my daughter (2.5 year old), I get my wage, universal credit, child benefit and child support off my daughters Dad. This comes to around £2300 a month. I am very lucky to have such a “large” income given I am on my own. However - my petrol is now costing me £80 a month! It is disgusting. I use about a full tank a week (1.2L engine) and when I first started driving October 2020 a full tank costs me £30.

As for electricity and gas 😵💫 where do I begin? My account is in debt cos I can’t afford to pay the prices of it. I’ve cancelled my direct debit and just paying what I can! I submit meter readings too. I’m on the best tarriff too.

Any spare money I had previously before the cost of living went up drastically has gone back into living. I just feel so sorry for those who just can’t afford life and food. I contacted my council for the winter household support fund and they referred me to a food bank - the food in it was ok, mainly tinned stuff and toiletries. Surely the government will have no choice but to help more. Rishis spring statement was diabolical - 5p off fuel?? 😂 is that it!

Anyway I could rant for ages because you’d expect them to help, but why would they give a duck when they’re sat in their 1M + houses not worrying about the rising cost of fuel or food!!?

Reactions: 9
Here in Germany they have started discussing removing VAT from food items, at least from "crucial" foods like veggies, fruit, legumes, etc so that people will have some options to get a healthy meal at a somewhat reasonable price. I feel terrible for people on lower income, it's a situation I wouldn't think possible on that scale in Germany for the longest time, but here we are. A modern, highly industrial Western society with people struggling to get food.
Pasta from Aldi is a staple here and it's now at 89 cent for 500 grams. It was 49cent last year. My boyfriend bought some yesterday and we were very glad about it, as there wasn't any again last time. Still also no flour....He doesn't think the situation is as bad as I think it is, but it's really on the back of my thoughts at all times and I've never even experienced food insecurity. If I'm honest, I'm planning out how I could store more staple foods and how to grow some things on my own ( not in the best climate and area for that and I just have a balcony).

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I just got my hot water and heating bill. I never turn on the heating and haven't turned it on since November, so it's just hot water.

Well, lo and behold, the bill is €345 for a single person for 2 months!!!!!!!

The provider increased their rates by 311% since October (from 0.09 to 0.21 to 0.37). Absolutely mental.

They said the management company of the complex sets the rates, not them. Yeah right.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Here in Germany they have started discussing removing VAT from food items, at least from "crucial" foods like veggies, fruit, legumes, etc so that people will have some options to get a healthy meal at a somewhat reasonable price. I feel terrible for people on lower income, it's a situation I wouldn't think possible on that scale in Germany for the longest time, but here we are. A modern, highly industrial Western society with people struggling to get food.
Pasta from Aldi is a staple here and it's now at 89 cent for 500 grams. It was 49cent last year. My boyfriend bought some yesterday and we were very glad about it, as there wasn't any again last time. Still also no flour....He doesn't think the situation is as bad as I think it is, but it's really on the back of my thoughts at all times and I've never even experienced food insecurity. If I'm honest, I'm planning out how I could store more staple foods and how to grow some things on my own ( not in the best climate and area for that and I just have a balcony).
Look at "Her 86m2" on youtube, she's in Germany too. There's load of things you can do with a balcony, youvhave to think horizontally as well as vertically.

I think this is going to be something that people will need to do in the future a lot more. Used to be that working class people had a garden, or an allotment, at least where I'm from. They needed to supplement their food with their own produce and canning and preserving was the norm too.

The trend of open plan everything is also really going to hit people's wallets. There's good reason why rooms were small and separate and windows were small-ish. Much easier to only heat a small living room than a massive open plan kitchen / living room area that is also extended outwards with large glass doors. Glass is a bad insulator. And yeah, triple glazing helps, but who has triple glazing? Double glazing is not going to be enough.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.