Discontent #14 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where I live the cost of rental is way in excess of what a mortgage would cost.

Okay we have a 3% interest rate fixed for 5 years and have been in our home for almost 7 years but our mortgage is almost a THIRD of the cost of renting an identical property in our street. So the deposit is the issue.

If someone can pay that rent on their own then they can afford the mortgage cost and any repair costs / insurance. The deposit is the sticking point.

I was paying more for rent in 2015 than Im paying now for my mortgage. I can actually save more money paying my mortgage than I could paying rent therefore having a safety net for any repairs.

Rentals are so scarce here if you want a house not a flat that landlords can pretty much charge whatever they like and families will pay it.

Reactions: 7
I quite liked this.
Like many things "no one wants to work" is a half truth. I'm not surprised no one wants to take jobs that pay so low you can just about exist and retiring is a pipe dream.

I don't blame gen Z if they have little enthusiasm for entering the grind and the people that hold the power have no interest in reforming a system they've done well from.

Reactions: 6
My home insurance has just gone up 38%! I haven't made a claim in over 15 years and even that was under 1000.

• Wow
  • Sad
My home insurance has just gone up 38%! I haven't made a claim in over 15 years and even that was under 1000.
I mentioned a few pages ago my renewal quote was £1200 up from £700 ish the year before.

I renewed at £560 so I was quite pleased with that, we had a claim for storm damage 2 years ago as well.

Reactions: 3
what's the justification for house insurance going up so much?
I dont actually know the answer but my guess would be cost of labour, materials, products, items in houses is going up and insurance companies want to continue making the same profit or increase it 🙄

And/or people claiming more due to the COL crisis. Claiming for things they may not have done in the past.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Maybe try looking at multi cover quotes if anything else is due because I got mine cheaper that way. Everything has gone up, but so have profits so it’s getting harder to buy that line 🤔 My pet insurance almost doubled but it should pay out more than the premium.

Maybe try looking at multi cover quotes if anything else is due because I got mine cheaper that way. Everything has gone up, but so have profits so it’s getting harder to buy that line 🤔 My pet insurance almost doubled but it should pay out more than the premium.
I did this. Got a good quote then on renewal it had nearly doubled for the house insurance part, the car insurance had dropped in price. They wrote that I wouldn't get a better deal elsewhere and they were right!

I'm now a home owner as my Mum died so for the first time in my life i've got bills to pay.
Though atm it's other people paying them as Probate means i've no money for a few Months.
So i'm doing lots of googling to see how I can save money as even though i've help for now, I dont want to take advantage

• Heart
I'm now a home owner as my Mum died so for the first time in my life i've got bills to pay.
Though atm it's other people paying them as Probate means i've no money for a few Months.
So i'm doing lots of googling to see how I can save money as even though i've help for now, I dont want to take advantage
Sorry to hear this. It is a very stressful time. My parent died last year and I am still going through all of this. They didnt even own a home and its still taking such a long time.

Do you have any idea of what sort of costs are involved? Will it be affordable for you to live there and pay the bills?

Sorry to hear this. It is a very stressful time. My parent died last year and I am still going through all of this. They didnt even own a home and its still taking such a long time.

Do you have any idea of what sort of costs are involved? Will it be affordable for you to live there and pay the bills?
Thank you, yes I should be able to stay here once probate/letter of admin is sorted. Its just the 4-6 Months waiting which is tough as I even have to borrow the money just to apply. I think Mum thought because i'm a only child and already live here I should get everything easier

Sorry to hear about your mum xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
yeah mine was £20 ish less but the NHS pension brackets changed and my pension went up £20 more. Thanks Rishi

Also the more you earn the better the NI cut is so it doesn’t help low earners at all. ( i’m on 25k for that £20 deduction)

As it didn’t display properly. This is at the end of his tweet.

IMG_4185.jpeg

---
I also love Tiberius.

I'm nodding at all the most liked comments on youtube videos about the falling birthrate. It's going to be an absolute disaster. Those in power could do something to help but it's being pretty much ignored and left to play out. :(

---

Hot take: the reason why people have less children is not "because magically people stop having children when they stop dying", but that our lifestyle is incompatible with having children. When women were incorportated in the work force, work hours should have been reduced proportionally. We are working more for less, we don't even have time for ourselves, much less for taking care of our children, and most of the basics like home and health has been sequestred for a small portion of the population to live of a chunk of other people's work. Get down to 4 hours of work for both parents to make a living and you will see how suddenly people start having children, because what's needed to nurture children is spending time.

It’s almost as if overworking and being underpaid is making people less interested in having children.

“The wolves are upset, the sheep won’t reproduce”

The effect of an aging population is felt very strongly in Greece. For years our politicians have mostly catered to retirees and government employees and that's been enough to get them elected. But the burden of the system has been felt by the younger generation who, for the most part, have just left the country, leaving even fewer people to support the aging population. It's negative feedback loop at this point.

As a teenager, I always imagined that by age 30 I would've married, owned a house and had all the children I was going have. I turn 30 in 8 days. Haven't done any of those things. I've been with my partner for 7 & a half years. If it was up to us, we would've done all of it already, but neither of us see those things as achievable goals for our near future. Housing is way too expensive and wages are too low. Why have kids when we can't afford to feed them or house them? Much less have the time to raise them since we both work full time just to survive. And without all of that, marriage just seems so pointless... As much as we wish we could start a family, we have no incentive to do so

I just turned 40 this year. I can say without a shadow of a doubt. That we millennials are not having children because of the greed and inequality in the world. We want what our parents had but cannot achieve this with children. Our leaders and parents asked us to be the future and gave us impassable mountains to climb. Greed is killing the human race.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm nodding at all the most liked comments on youtube videos about the falling birthrate. It's going to be an absolute disaster. Those in power could do something to help but it's being pretty much ignored and left to play out. :(

---

Hot take: the reason why people have less children is not "because magically people stop having children when they stop dying", but that our lifestyle is incompatible with having children. When women were incorportated in the work force, work hours should have been reduced proportionally. We are working more for less, we don't even have time for ourselves, much less for taking care of our children, and most of the basics like home and health has been sequestred for a small portion of the population to live of a chunk of other people's work. Get down to 4 hours of work for both parents to make a living and you will see how suddenly people start having children, because what's needed to nurture children is spending time.

It’s almost as if overworking and being underpaid is making people less interested in having children.

“The wolves are upset, the sheep won’t reproduce”

The effect of an aging population is felt very strongly in Greece. For years our politicians have mostly catered to retirees and government employees and that's been enough to get them elected. But the burden of the system has been felt by the younger generation who, for the most part, have just left the country, leaving even fewer people to support the aging population. It's negative feedback loop at this point.

As a teenager, I always imagined that by age 30 I would've married, owned a house and had all the children I was going have. I turn 30 in 8 days. Haven't done any of those things. I've been with my partner for 7 & a half years. If it was up to us, we would've done all of it already, but neither of us see those things as achievable goals for our near future. Housing is way too expensive and wages are too low. Why have kids when we can't afford to feed them or house them? Much less have the time to raise them since we both work full time just to survive. And without all of that, marriage just seems so pointless... As much as we wish we could start a family, we have no incentive to do so

I just turned 40 this year. I can say without a shadow of a doubt. That we millennials are not having children because of the greed and inequality in the world. We want what our parents had but cannot achieve this with children. Our leaders and parents asked us to be the future and gave us impassable mountains to climb. Greed is killing the human race.

For millennia, people were having children because they were the retirement plan - they were to look after and provide for the aging parents. They were also exploited from quite a young age. Women were also exploited in the household without any compensation. The hard truth is that if there is no financial incentive and no societal (religious, cultural) pressure to have children, people will have fewer children. It’s actually true not only for humans - if you take any group of living organisms and put in into secure conditions with unlimited access to food, the fertility rates go down.

Reactions: 4