Discontent #14 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
1712064345939.png
Bloody joke :rolleyes: gosh us millennial buyers have the raw end of the deal

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11

Yel

View attachment 2851203Bloody joke :rolleyes: gosh us millennial buyers have the raw end of the deal
Well people thesedays are having avocados and a couple of slices of fancy seeded bread for breakfast.

Have you considered eating dirt instead and saving 50p a day? I'm sure it wouldn't take long to save up a million.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 08.35.51.png
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 08.36.21.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Yel

Most on tattle are in the UK, but I think NZ has it a lot worse with house prices. This only goes up to 2021 but in the last few years they've quickly overtaken the UK as the most out of control house prices.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 08.42.27.png

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Still in credit with Octopus and they just put my DD up as they think I will not have enough to cover the coming winter or they kindly suggest I can make a one off payment now (despite being in credit) to get back on track with their forecast!

Went in and put my DD back to what it was. I will review it myself, thank you very much.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Ovo have been telling me for months we can reduce our direct debit as we have a decent amount of credit. we kept it the same cos it’s winter and we need some heating on so would rather have enough in there.

They best not pull that trick i’m taking some of the credit out as it’s summer soon ( less energy usage) and i have it earmarked towards a hotel stay later in the year!

Ovo have been telling me for months we can reduce our direct debit as we have a decent amount of credit. we kept it the same cos it’s winter and we need some heating on so would rather have enough in there.

They best not pull that trick i’m taking some of the credit out as it’s summer soon ( less energy usage) and i have it earmarked towards a hotel stay later in the year!
E.on have reduced mine, I need to increase it though as they've put it to about £35 or it won't be covering much more than the standing charges

Yel

The most liked comments on this video are so true, the times of affordable clothes being decent quality is well and truly over. You need a huge budget to buy clothes that are actually going to last.

@beetothebop123

3 months ago
I remember shopping at Zara in Europe 15 to 20 years ago, and I got some of my favourite clothes from there that lasted me years. Around 10y ago, something happened and the quality went down significantly. I'd never be caught dead shopping at Zara again, especially considering how messy the stores are. Everything is on the floor, disgusting.

@irnalonso
3 months ago
I'm from Spain, where Zara started, and 20 years ago it was an amazing brand: affordable prices, good quality clothes and both reliable basics and designer vibes. Today, I still go into the shop but I'm always dissapointed by the quality or just the style of the garments. I think I have not purchased anything in over 5 years or more

@marian.9026

2 months ago (edited)
I don't know how old you are but I'm 43 and let me tell you the 80's and 90's was an amazing time to be alive and growing up in NYC for clothing quality and variety. I have GAP jeans that would be considered industrial strength and weight-fitted for working in the mines compared to today's jeans. Shopping was so much fun then. Most things were made of natural materials and sewn great. Leather was top grain and lasted forever. It was just out of this world. Silk, wool, cashmere, fine cotton and at great prices. I have suede jackets from Mango that practically weigh 10 pounds each from my teenage trips to Europe. If I had known this was our clothing future, I would have stocked up back then. After 2007 everything slowly just turned into Conway crap or costs a million dollars for something border line decent. We used to get amazing pieces at Macy's and Sacks during their end of the season sales. I still have 100 percent lined linen slacks from H&M and places like H&M were considered our go to for casual 'play' clothes. T.J. had a unique variety of pieces made of the most gorgeous materials. I miss those days.

• Heart
The most liked comments on this video are so true, the times of affordable clothes being decent quality is well and truly over. You need a huge budget to buy clothes that are actually going to last.

@beetothebop123

3 months ago
I remember shopping at Zara in Europe 15 to 20 years ago, and I got some of my favourite clothes from there that lasted me years. Around 10y ago, something happened and the quality went down significantly. I'd never be caught dead shopping at Zara again, especially considering how messy the stores are. Everything is on the floor, disgusting.

@irnalonso
3 months ago
I'm from Spain, where Zara started, and 20 years ago it was an amazing brand: affordable prices, good quality clothes and both reliable basics and designer vibes. Today, I still go into the shop but I'm always dissapointed by the quality or just the style of the garments. I think I have not purchased anything in over 5 years or more

@marian.9026

2 months ago (edited)
I don't know how old you are but I'm 43 and let me tell you the 80's and 90's was an amazing time to be alive and growing up in NYC for clothing quality and variety. I have GAP jeans that would be considered industrial strength and weight-fitted for working in the mines compared to today's jeans. Shopping was so much fun then. Most things were made of natural materials and sewn great. Leather was top grain and lasted forever. It was just out of this world. Silk, wool, cashmere, fine cotton and at great prices. I have suede jackets from Mango that practically weigh 10 pounds each from my teenage trips to Europe. If I had known this was our clothing future, I would have stocked up back then. After 2007 everything slowly just turned into Conway crap or costs a million dollars for something border line decent. We used to get amazing pieces at Macy's and Sacks during their end of the season sales. I still have 100 percent lined linen slacks from H&M and places like H&M were considered our go to for casual 'play' clothes. T.J. had a unique variety of pieces made of the most gorgeous materials. I miss those days.
I've noticed that over the last few years. The Christmas pj's at m&s were terrible last year, very thin and rough material

Reactions: 7
Various factors at play there Id imagine.

- fast fashion, shops continually designing, making, selling new styles. Years ago shops would have their summer drops and their winter drops. Now its just a constant slew of 'new in' dont think the garments are particularly well made or designed half the time.

- quantity of what people are buying, it shocks me how many garments other people buy. Shopping is a 'hobby' its not just about fulfilling a purpose. So prices are kept low to encourage this over consumption. So to keep profits high the quality suffers.

Probably many more factors but these are the two I think about most often.

I very rarely buy clothes unless I have worn something out. I dont enjoy shopping at all and even when I do actually need something I procrastinate so much as I hate it 😂

I very rarely buy clothes unless I have worn something out. I dont enjoy shopping at all and even when I do actually need something I procrastinate so much as I hate it 😂
Same and I hate it even more now because I just think it'll probably look crap once I've washed it a few times

@beetothebop123
3 months ago

@irnalonso
3 months ago

@marian.9026
2 months ago (edited)
This is so true. I went into New Look the other week to look at the dresses, the prices are eyewatering now but the fabric and construction is appalling.

@beetothebop123
3 months ago

@irnalonso
3 months ago

@marian.9026
2 months ago (edited)
I mainly buy on Vinted now for this reason. I would rather buy older second hand clothes from labels I know than new stuff. The quality is shocking on the hight street- one wash and it's not the same garment!

I have GAP chinos that are 15 years old, still fit and great quality- same with M&S, Jigsaw, White Stuff. I hunt down their older stock!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I don't think I'll shop in fatface again. Got a gorgeous dress last year, washed it at 20 and it shrank at least 2 sizes. Not like it was cheap

Reactions: 1
I don't think I'll shop in fatface again. Got a gorgeous dress last year, washed it at 20 and it shrank at least 2 sizes. Not like it was cheap
Wow thats disappointing. I do like Fat Face too. I think Id take it back

Various factors at play there Id imagine.

- fast fashion, shops continually designing, making, selling new styles. Years ago shops would have their summer drops and their winter drops. Now its just a constant slew of 'new in' dont think the garments are particularly well made or designed half the time.

- quantity of what people are buying, it shocks me how many garments other people buy. Shopping is a 'hobby' its not just about fulfilling a purpose. So prices are kept low to encourage this over consumption. So to keep profits high the quality suffers.

Probably many more factors but these are the two I think about most often.

I'd add in also that living standards globally are increasing so the costs to make goods for those in the west has risen a fair bit.

This has been masked to the consumers somewhat by reducing the quality. Then it's comparing apples with oranges with what people have the spending power to buy thesedays vs the past .

I mainly buy on Vinted now for this reason.
Any tips to know what's worth it? Or do you avoid all high street stuff on Preloved? I really need to get into this!

Still in credit with Octopus and they just put my DD up as they think I will not have enough to cover the coming winter or they kindly suggest I can make a one off payment now (despite being in credit) to get back on track with their forecast!

Went in and put my DD back to what it was. I will review it myself, thank you very much.
They keep doing the same to me even though we're in credit!

The one thing I like about Octopus though is that you are in control of your DD and can just put it back down if you want. When I was with Eon they'd put mine up extortionate amounts then I'd contact them to say I wouldn't be paying that and they'd refuse to put it back down even though I was in credit!