Discontent #12 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sounds way better value than buying the cartridges, although a fair bit more than refiling yourself. Do they send properly filled cartridges that last longer?

I think I'd just use the library if I really needed something printed. Usually it's backup stuff or a returns label.
That would've been cheaper for me. I was persuaded to buy a Canon printer as my old one no longer works with computers (don't ask too complicated 🙄) so I've now got a printer that is very temperamental and now the ink that came with it has run out it's not working, even though I've spent an arm and a leg on a new Canon ink cartridge. 🤬
It's not me being thick as the person who recommended it has a Canon and they can't work it out either.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have a final salary pension that I’ve paid into for 24yrs. My colleagues and I have all noticed our pension pots halve in value over the last 3yrs, has anyone else noticed the same? My boss’ for example has dropped by £500k😭

Even paying into my pension all this time it still leaves me with a concerning low amount to live on when I retire. I need to look into investing. My Dad died 6months prior to retiring, I want to retire as young as I can to travel as much as I can.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I have a final salary pension that I’ve paid into for 24yrs. My colleagues and I have all noticed our pension pots halve in value over the last 3yrs, has anyone else noticed the same? My boss’ for example has dropped by £500k😭

Even paying into my pension all this time it still leaves me with a concerning low amount to live on when I retire. I need to look into investing. My Dad died 6months prior to retiring, I want to retire as young as I can to travel as much as I can.
That’s because there isn’t a pension pot with a final salary pension. There’s a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) if you were to transfer out. These have fallen due to interest rates and gilt yields rising (if you transfer out and buy an annuity, it’s now cheaper to do so, hence why the ‘value’ has fallen). You should be concentrating on the annual income you will receive at the normal retirement age, not the transfer value. There is no pot.

Reactions: 7
That’s because there isn’t a pension pot with a final salary pension. There’s a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) if you were to transfer out. These have fallen due to interest rates and gilt yields rising (if you transfer out and buy an annuity, it’s now cheaper to do so, hence why the ‘value’ has fallen). You should be concentrating on the annual income you will receive at the normal retirement age, not the transfer value. There is no pot.
Thanks for that info, I literally know nothing about pensions, I’ve always been more focused in overpaying on our mortgage. With the annual pension income looking rather depressingly low I’ll need to consider whether to increase my pension contributions or invest elsewhere.

Reactions: 1
I wonder if something big is going to happen with ulez, just drove past the ones here and you could see a couple with the wires cut and quite a few armoured ones.

I think the revolt people may be planning one big night to get rid of loads of them. Maybe the police are planning on extra surveillance over the next few days. Could be the catalyst to start something off.

They'd have been far better starting ulez outer at something low like £2.5 a day and gradually increasing it over a couple of years rather than all of a sudden £12.50 a day imo.

I thought these mini camera vehicles were a joke to start with.
FB_IMG_1693068253560.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I wonder if something big is going to happen with ulez, just drove past the ones here and you could see a couple with the wires cut and quite a few armoured ones.

I think the revolt people may be planning one big night to get rid of loads of them. Maybe the police are planning on extra surveillance over the next few days. Could be the catalyst to start something off.

They'd have been far better starting ulez outer at something low like £2.5 a day and gradually increasing it over a couple of years rather than all of a sudden £12.50 a day imo.

View attachment 2406154
Yeh 12.50 is extortion. Crazy to think they are getting away with this

Reactions: 6
Thanks for that info, I literally know nothing about pensions, I’ve always been more focused in overpaying on our mortgage. With the annual pension income looking rather depressingly low I’ll need to consider whether to increase my pension contributions or invest elsewhere.
It depends if you’re a higher rate tax payer or not and how long until retirement. Pensions are usually always the best option but obviously you can’t access until 55, soon to be increasing to 57. Having a stocks & shares ISA is a good option too!

• Heart
It depends if you’re a higher rate tax payer or not and how long until retirement. Pensions are usually always the best option but obviously you can’t access until 55, soon to be increasing to 57. Having a stocks & shares ISA is a good option too!
Do you work in pensions? Sorry to jump on you and ask a question but I started looking into SIPPs last night and came to the conclusion that we’d be better off just overpaying into work pensions as it’s less faff, for two married additional rate payers in their 30s would you say just paying above the matched employer rate > building upon cash savings or investing in a SSISA too? Appreciate this isn’t FCA regulated advice but just anything to tailor what I start reading about would be super useful thank you 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Reactions: 3
Remember there are also LISA’s where you get a Gov top up, they’re not just for buying a house, they can be accessed at 60 for retirement too.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

View attachment 2406154
I saw one of those toy cars a while back, got the feeling we might see more
of these around.

Reactions: 1
Remember there are also LISA’s where you get a Gov top up, they’re not just for buying a house, they can be accessed at 60 for retirement too.
Thank you for this - this article is really useful about LISAs and they even have a section that answers my question above! 🙏🏻❤ Gonna hold off until we’ve remortgaged and gone through the documentation bs then up my pension. Thank you to pension pros in this thread for the inspo!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
All this talk of pensions is nudging me to finally look at mine, I kept meaning for the last couple of years to look at how much to increase my contributions as some of my income is in the 40% bracket (and all of my bonuses always are, which is annoying). My workplace has just changed providers so I definitely need to get my head around it...

Do you work in pensions? Sorry to jump on you and ask a question but I started looking into SIPPs last night and came to the conclusion that we’d be better off just overpaying into work pensions as it’s less faff, for two married additional rate payers in their 30s would you say just paying above the matched employer rate > building upon cash savings or investing in a SSISA too? Appreciate this isn’t FCA regulated advice but just anything to tailor what I start reading about would be super useful thank you 🙏🏻🙏🏻
I work in finance, yep! 😊
I agree - overpay into your work pensions, make sure you’re getting the maximum that the employer will pay in too! Always have an emergency fund of 6-9 months of net income. I’d diversify by opening a S&S ISA and investing in a global multi-asset fund such as this HSBC one:

that’s an example of multi asset fund though and absolutely not financial advice! The money saving expert forum is really helpful to teach you things about finance 😊
---
All this talk of pensions is nudging me to finally look at mine, I kept meaning for the last couple of years to look at how much to increase my contributions as some of my income is in the 40% bracket (and all of my bonuses always are, which is annoying). My workplace has just changed providers so I definitely need to get my head around it...
See your your employer will pay some/all (whatever you can afford) straight into the pension via salary sacrifice 😊 also I forgot to mention to everyone - make sure you nominate your beneficiaries!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I work in finance, yep! 😊
I agree - overpay into your work pensions, make sure you’re getting the maximum that the employer will pay in too! Always have an emergency fund of 6-9 months of net income. I’d diversify by opening a S&S ISA and investing in a global multi-asset fund such as this HSBC one:

that’s an example of multi asset fund though and absolutely not financial advice! The money saving expert forum is really helpful to teach you things about finance 😊
---

See your your employer will pay some/all (whatever you can afford) straight into the pension via salary sacrifice 😊 also I forgot to mention to everyone - make sure you nominate your beneficiaries!
Thanks for this - I’m already happy with our current investments/cash savings/child savings thankfully, but pensions advice ime has been super limited to just “at least match what your employer puts in as it’s free money” - I’ve never heard of anyone exceeding that/didn’t know if you were even really allowed to! I’m gonna change it immediately actually and then up it again once mortgage stuff is over. We’re good for affordability but the whole process just feels like judgment day and I’m already anxious 6 months out about the Q+A stage it’s horrid!

Tbh pensions give me major health/mortality anxiety too as neither of my parents lived long enough to retire (and neither would have had private pensions anyway lol) - so I’m mainly seeing it as just more money for my LO anyway ☠🫣😂

• Heart
Quick q while we on subject of pensions would you ever merge your pension pots from two separate jobs. My current pension is with nest

Thanks for this - I’m already happy with our current investments/cash savings/child savings thankfully, but pensions advice ime has been super limited to just “at least match what your employer puts in as it’s free money” - I’ve never heard of anyone exceeding that/didn’t know if you were even really allowed to! I’m gonna change it immediately actually and then up it again once mortgage stuff is over. We’re good for affordability but the whole process just feels like judgment day and I’m already anxious 6 months out about the Q+A stage it’s horrid!

Tbh pensions give me major health/mortality anxiety too as neither of my parents lived long enough to retire (and neither would have had private pensions anyway lol) - so I’m mainly seeing it as just more money for my LO anyway ☠🫣😂
You could always max out your employer one and then open a separate personal pension, it doesn’t need to be a SIPP. The final salary pension will only provide a spouse’s pension unless you die whist your LO is still dependent. If you open the personal pension, they would get the full fund value if you die before taking it. Research ‘defined benefit death benefits vs defined contribution’. We should have a pension thread on here haha.
---
I've never thought about pensions as I never thought I'd live that long 😳
To be honest, same. I used to suffer with bad mental health issues so made some horrendous financial decisions based on the fact I didn’t think I’d be around to see the consequences… the consequences that I’m now paying off 😩
---
Quick q while we on subject of pensions would you ever merge your pension pots from two separate jobs. My current pension is with nest
Where is the one from your previous job? Nest is cheap, I still have one of those. They don’t charge transfer in charges, the funds aren’t too bad but limited.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
You could always max out your employer one and then open a separate personal pension, it doesn’t need to be a SIPP. The final salary pension will only provide a spouse’s pension unless you die whist your LO is still dependent. If you open the personal pension, they would get the full fund value if you die before taking it. Research ‘defined benefit death benefits vs defined contribution’. We should have a pension thread on here haha.
---

To be honest, same. I used to suffer with bad mental health issues so made some horrendous financial decisions based on the fact I didn’t think I’d be around to see the consequences… the consequences that I’m now paying off 😩
---

Where is the one from your previous job? Nest is cheap, I still have one of those. They don’t charge transfer in charges, the funds aren’t too bad but limited.
Honestly we should have an entire finance sub forum here! I know it errs on risky territory as we’re not FCA regulated etc but as long as it’s heavily caveated surely it should be cool?

I know this sounds like a reach but tattle being a safe space to discuss influencers, the predatory nature of their peer to peer marketing schtick, the dishonesty, explaining affiliate links/how it works to bystanders is actually really financially empowering to the women this tit targets/damages lbr. It’s so nice to have a space like this + also be able to talk about finances in a similar non intimidating setting (like I have no desire to go to Martin Lewis’ forum, altho with that said r/ukpersonalfinance is good and where I learnt about investing from!! They are hateful neeks tho!).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Quick and semi-depressing info - many pension schemes will pay out a sum if the holder dies before they can access it. So your next of kin/estate may benefit, even if you don’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.