Discontent #12 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Welcome to the new thread, if you've not joined us before everyone is welcome on this catchall thread :)
---
Going back to tips out of control, I ordered a cake this morning from somewhere local. Not personalised or anything and it's one of their best sellers.

But they've setup their online system to ask for tips which I don't like. I want to pay a fair price for a service. Tips in advance feels wrong.

Screenshot_20230503_083448_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 8
On the subject of tips in advance - the sole taxi company in my area has this pre-set on their app too. I don't appreciate being asked for a tip in advance either but there's no option to add a tip on after your journey either.

Of course I could carry cash for this but I couldn't tell you the last time I used a cash machine. And I get a taxi home roughly once or twice a year so it's not really a big issue. But there is a growing culture of the presumed tip.

I'm a member of a Center Parcs group on Facebook and it massively kicks off over the set service charge on restaurant bills.

Reactions: 2
i wanted to ask if you guys buy organic food? Have you found much of a difference in price recently if you do? I try buy organic when i can but not often that's for sure. I mainly buy organic veg.

I'm a member of a Center Parcs group on Facebook and it massively kicks off over the set service charge on restaurant bills.
God I bet that group is full of absolute drama 😳

They do the set service charge with Michelin star restaurants too but it’s always communicated well in advance, like at booking when you’re entering card details etc it says it quite clearly so you can make an informed decision. Surely center parcs do the same? So they’d have booked knowing…? I also think it’s really quite fair as with a Michelin star restaurant if you’re getting the wine flight it’s a lot of extra work for someone, with center parcs if you’ve got 6 kids in your party likewise. Moaning about that feels a bit mean imo.

I find center parcs such an absurdity for so many reasons lol but it’s really not by force that ppl have to go 😳

Reactions: 3
God I bet that group is full of absolute drama 😳

They do the set service charge with Michelin star restaurants too but it’s always communicated well in advance, like at booking when you’re entering card details etc it says it quite clearly so you can make an informed decision. Surely center parcs do the same? So they’d have booked knowing…? I also think it’s really quite fair as with a Michelin star restaurant if you’re getting the wine flight it’s a lot of extra work for someone, with center parcs if you’ve got 6 kids in your party likewise. Moaning about that feels a bit mean imo.

I find center parcs such an absurdity for so many reasons lol but it’s really not by force that ppl have to go 😳
The set charge is 7.5% which I personally think is reasonable. My hierarchy of tipping starts at 10% and would be the absolute bare minimum I'd start. One valid complaint I've seen on the group is that tips paid via card don't always make it to the staff, which isn't unique to CP. But there is a huge amount of complaining about the service charge even existing in the first place.

We don't book usually book restaurants whilst we're there but there isn't any information about the service charge, regardless of party size, on pre-bookings IIRC. There might be blurb about large parties but I'd expect that of any restaurant to be honest.

CP is quite over priced for what it is but it suits our family for a variety of reasons. You can do it fairly cheaply, such as having meals in your accomodation and taking activities with you (which I would do with a non CP holiday to be honest). My children are young enough to enjoy craft kits from The Works or a wildlife walk with a BBQ or picnic tea back at the lodge. Swimming is free and we sometimes go there twice a day. The playparks are fairly decent too.

I might change my mind about the cost once they're old enough to demand the more expensive activities 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
i wanted to ask if you guys buy organic food? Have you found much of a difference in price recently if you do? I try buy organic when i can but not often that's for sure. I mainly buy organic veg.

I buy some, but not all. Mostly vegetables and I can't even claim that I do it out of conscience, it's often the amount that makes it more attractive. E.g. Aldi here only sells 2kg bags of regular carrots. I very rarely need 2kg and don't want them to go bad, so 99% of time I chose the oragnic 1kg back instead. Price-wise per kg it's not a huge difference, it's really just the amount that makes it better for me.
I do buy organic for e.g. lemons, if I want to zest it. And there's a section here with organic deli meats and smoked sausages that I often get something from, but I still get e.g. salami from the regular aisle, the stuff just tastes really good, that's the primary reason I'm buying it.
For produce I often check though that it's not coming from half across the. For example the apples I got this week are from Germany, but the ones on offer in the supermarket were from South Africa. They were actually the same price per kg, and I don't want to buy apples from SA, or NZ, as we have perfectly fine apples here. If they only have the NZ/SA I tend to not buy.

Organic ranges where I am are poor. I’d love the option but it’s literally just peppers, broccoli, spinach and carrots. I’m going to buy a farmers box (which is organic) when I can be bothered cooking again. It works out a lot cheaper and way more variety.

Yel

In Michelin starred restaurants they often also have a whole blurb about their tip policy, usually to say how it's for staff and shared out between front and back. So you know where it's going.

As you say they definitely earn their tip with all the info they'll give out on the food and drink which can really make a special meal.

The set charge is 7.5% which I personally think is reasonable. My hierarchy of tipping starts at 10% and would be the absolute bare minimum I'd start. One valid complaint I've seen on the group is that tips paid via card don't always make it to the staff, which isn't unique to CP. But there is a huge amount of complaining about the service charge even existing in the first place.

We don't book usually book restaurants whilst we're there but there isn't any information about the service charge, regardless of party size, on pre-bookings IIRC. There might be blurb about large parties but I'd expect that of any restaurant to be honest.

CP is quite over priced for what it is but it suits our family for a variety of reasons. You can do it fairly cheaply, such as having meals in your accomodation and taking activities with you (which I would do with a non CP holiday to be honest). My children are young enough to enjoy craft kits from The Works or a wildlife walk with a BBQ or picnic tea back at the lodge. Swimming is free and we sometimes go there twice a day. The playparks are fairly decent too.

I might change my mind about the cost once they're old enough to demand the more expensive activities 😂
Tbh it’s quite interesting to read about it from a normal person and not the meanest mum you’ve met lol or Mumsnet so thank you :)

They defs need to update their site/any reservation comms as that’s a tit experience. But I also can’t help but suspect that CP’s biggest draw for many (not saying you in this at all) is saying they’ve been there to stunt so surely being rinsed is part of it? Like going to Dubai or Ibiza like it’s all posturing so surely those participating in that can’t really be surprised by them pulling this schit…? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Tbh it’s quite interesting to read about it from a normal person and not the meanest mum you’ve met lol or Mumsnet so thank you :)

They defs need to update their site/any reservation comms as that’s a tit experience. But I also can’t help but suspect that CP’s biggest draw for many (not saying you in this at all) is saying they’ve been there to stunt so surely being rinsed is part of it? Like going to Dubai or Ibiza like it’s all posturing so surely those participating in that can’t really be surprised by them pulling this schit…? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Argh Tattle is being a douche and not letting me bold 😝

"But I also can’t help but suspect that CP’s biggest draw for many (not saying you in this at all) is saying they’ve been there to stunt so surely being rinsed is part of it?"

I think I get what you mean here - a bit like keeping up with Joneses? It's definitely got that vibe for some folk I suspect. But then I'd assume the tourist trap vibe/captive audience vibe (eg expensive) would be the same at most holiday resorts that market towards families. Since having my kids, we've done most holidays at CP so I can't comment on Butlins or elsewhere for example. But the on site CP supermarket is priced on a par with a local Co Op for example. Yes, the price of a pint is eye watering (£6 on my last visit) but that's been on a level of what I pay at my local pub.

And, I absolutely say this with love, I can think of better places I could posture than the Sports Cafe at CP 😂 But again I get why people would think more of themselves by holidaying at CP 😂

I've had a few glasses of vino so I hope that makes sense!

• Haha
Argh Tattle is being a douche and not letting me bold 😝

"But I also can’t help but suspect that CP’s biggest draw for many (not saying you in this at all) is saying they’ve been there to stunt so surely being rinsed is part of it?"

I think I get what you mean here - a bit like keeping up with Joneses? It's definitely got that vibe for some folk I suspect. But then I'd assume the tourist trap vibe/captive audience vibe (eg expensive) would be the same at most holiday resorts that market towards families. Since having my kids, we've done most holidays at CP so I can't comment on Butlins or elsewhere for example. But the on site CP supermarket is priced on a par with a local Co Op for example. Yes, the price of a pint is eye watering (£6 on my last visit) but that's been on a level of what I pay at my local pub.

And, I absolutely say this with love, I can think of better places I could posture than the Sports Cafe at CP 😂 But again I get why people would think more of themselves by holidaying at CP 😂

I've had a few glasses of vino so I hope that makes sense!
Total sense dw! I’ve never been so I can’t comment about the sports cafe (if anything I’m surprised they’ve not called it Jemima Puddleduck’s cafe or something quaint ✨) or anything there and didn’t even know they had a supermarket but I find the entire prospect SO off putting because of how much Mumsnet love it and probs because whenever I’ve seen conversations about it IRL or on social media it always gives the same energy as the American Pyscho business card scene. And time to be a truly judgmental cow but the same applies to 🤢 Camp Bestival 🤢, I really couldn’t bear to spend money to be around the ppl that create the content you see online.

My LO is a bit older now but say of any given play group or baby class 15-20% of mums would be the ones checking which buggy or bag or car you’ve got before talking to you, and the first convo would always entail what does ur husband do, what road do you live on, blah blah blah, I imagine that to be more like 80-90% of adults at both those places. And I know you don’t have to talk to them and it’s not Paris Hilton’s new BFF but it defs sets a weird uncomfortable energy that I wouldn’t want to spend money to exist in for a week 😂. Idk I don’t get out much these days lol I’m probs overthinking it. Or just too cringe averse.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Just had £8 slapped on my phone bill. 🙄 fortunately next month is the end of my contract and I’ve managed to knock £45 a month off by not upgrading and going sim only.

What is bad is that I called to upgrade because the website was being funny and I had a few questions, and the advisor gave me a loyal customer deal and knocked another tenner off! Why isn’t that given to loyal customers online too? Glad I had to call now, I know for next time.

• Wow
Ok I'm baffled absolutely baffled how families are affording to go abroad!!! pre pandemic me hubby and 2 teens were more than able to book 2 weeks in spain / canaries self catering nothing fancy for max £1500/£1600 in June.

Granted next year we have some things working against us , one teen turns adult !!!!! We are having to go end of July as other teen it will be GCSE year
& since then we have had another baby!! he is now 3........BUT that same holiday Id be prepared to pay what say £2500/£2700 now.......... But im literally getting nothing cheaper than £3500 /£4000 and they all look like crappy hotels always in obscure places .... For a decent hotel with nice facilities near a beach, some entertainment etc self catering £5000 minimum, and dare I look at all inclusive thinking that may be a better deal try between £7500 & £10,000..... I cant justify it number 1 and 2 that money could be better spent on so much other stuff, a new car, doing my bathroom up, savings, Kids futures, deposit for our RTB.......... Yet my feed is clogged already with friends and family jetting away..... we own a company we do ok........ But right now no bloody way can I honestly be ok with spending that much money on a holiday...... UK holidays are no better, been quoted 3k for a lodge in centre parks, and hoeseasons are just as bad...… Can someone share the magic secret where are they getting this disposable income and 2 is there some secret website selling cheap holidays????????????? TUI , Jet 2, Love holidays can all do 1 !!!!!!

Reactions: 4
Ok I'm baffled absolutely baffled how families are affording to go abroad!!! pre pandemic me hubby and 2 teens were more than able to book 2 weeks in spain / canaries self catering nothing fancy for max £1500/£1600 in June.

Granted next year we have some things working against us , one teen turns adult !!!!! We are having to go end of July as other teen it will be GCSE year
& since then we have had another baby!! he is now 3........BUT that same holiday Id be prepared to pay what say £2500/£2700 now.......... But im literally getting nothing cheaper than £3500 /£4000 and they all look like crappy hotels always in obscure places .... For a decent hotel with nice facilities near a beach, some entertainment etc self catering £5000 minimum, and dare I look at all inclusive thinking that may be a better deal try between £7500 & £10,000..... I cant justify it number 1 and 2 that money could be better spent on so much other stuff, a new car, doing my bathroom up, savings, Kids futures, deposit for our RTB.......... Yet my feed is clogged already with friends and family jetting away..... we own a company we do ok........ But right now no bloody way can I honestly be ok with spending that much money on a holiday...... UK holidays are no better, been quoted 3k for a lodge in centre parks, and hoeseasons are just as bad...… Can someone share the magic secret where are they getting this disposable income and 2 is there some secret website selling cheap holidays????????????? TUI , Jet 2, Love holidays can all do 1 !!!!!!
If people are going away now then it will cost them considerably less than July.

I am currently in a hotel in Menorca, 1 week AI has cost me an my husband less than £800 for both of us. We booked it because it was cheaper than going to a lodge in the UK for 3 days. The same holiday in July would be over £800 each.

Also people have different priorities and income/expenditure 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
If people are going away now then it will cost them considerably less than July.

I am currently in a hotel in Menorca, 1 week AI has cost me an my husband less than £800 for both of us. We booked it because it was cheaper than going to a lodge in the UK for 3 days. The same holiday in July would be over £800 each.

Oh yeah i totally agree, If me and hubby wanted a last min break now, of course we could grab a bargain, but as we have kids and a business which we both work in, we have to meticulously plan ahead, and again i know May will be cheaper hence why we traditionally as a family go in June..... But i have no doubt as soon as the kids break up my timeline will still be filled with lots of my friends and families jetting off.... which as we know will be expensive..... all im saying is so much for the cost of living crisis when so many seem not affected £6000 + is not pocket change.... and I do look in disbelief at how so many people seem to afford it, some people may read this and think sour grapes...... and they be right tbh, we work bloody hard turning over £400 k a year..... but profit is all reinvested ...no we are not loaded nor poor but 6k plus for a holiday is a lot of bloody money ..... sorry but my mind is still blown.... all i can think of is they have credit cards/ finance coming out of their ears :rolleyes:

Try travel supermarket, Turkey is meant to be cheaper this year. For me and 2 kids (10 and 11) I can go for £2200 all inclusive the first week in the summer holidays. I'm not sure if it's a good hotel though as I've not been on holiday since I was a teen

It also depends if they are going to europe or further afield to somewhere such as SE Asia etc. Flights are about £800 alone for Asia as i was checking out Thailand.

Asia is a cheaper destination, but the cost of flights are not cheap at all. But yeah, just depends on where you are going in the world. £800 for a week in menorca all inclusive is definitely a good deal though.

It also depends if they are going to europe or further afield to somewhere such as SE Asia etc. Flights are about £800 alone for Asia as i was checking out Thailand.

Asia is a cheaper destination, but the cost of flights are not cheap at all. But yeah, just depends on where you are going in the world. £800 for a week in menorca all inclusive is definitely a good deal though.
I agree £400 each for a week AI is cheap. We were looking at £750 for 3 nights in a lodge in the UK obviously with food etc. on top. So it was a no brainer.

We are going away later in the year, in June. So this is a preholiday holiday. Prices are a lot higher than they were 5 years ago but we need the break and think it's worth it. Greece seems ridiculously expensive this year, but Turkey seems really reasonable.

A lot of people I know didn't have holidays last year because they were still worried about covid/testing/vaccination requirements. So some people haven't had a break in over 3 years so can see why people are prioritising a holiday this year.

• Heart

This is a massive assumption but I suspect most of it will be going on credit cards.

On paper and to the outside world, our household probably looks affluent. But the one rule we have is that we do not build up any debt on credit cards. Of course as commented above, people will have different budgets and criteria.

This summer we're paying roughly £1500 for 5 days at CP in the middle of July. That's including accommodation for a family of four plus the 2-3 family activities I've booked. I suspect once we factor in our food shopping and treats it will be closer to £2000.

Last night I had a mooch on holiday websites and the best deal I could find was a week in the Algarve at an all inclusive resort for nearly £5000. That was to stay in a one bedroom apartment with myself and husband likely sleeping on a sofa bed in the living area. That cost isn't worth it for us to be honest. ETA this was looking at roughly the same dates we've booked our current holiday.

Good luck and I hope you manage to book your getaway.

For anyone interested, i saw this online for Egypt breaks.

---

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.