Desire to minimise/declutter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It tickles me that so many of you actually do this. I’m going round the inlaws this wkend and 100% leaving something behind 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Maybe decluttering to parents and in-laws might be counter productive you will end up decluttering same items twice when it comes time to clear the houses 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
How do you stop thinking about the perceived future usefulness? To my mind I understand that the money I spent is gone, but if I throw the item away and then need another one in future I’ve spent twice for no reason. Am I missing something?
I like a rule that’s called the 20/20 rule: can I buy it again for under £20 or replace it in under 20 minutes?

I’m at my folks place this week. Mum is extremely clean & tidy and both mum and dad are vague hoarders. Their drawers are stuffed full of stuff they use very occasionally (think: enough serving ware for a BBQ for 30-40 adults) but all neatly stored and organised. They have to organise and clean around it every single day in order to use it once a year. It’s exhausting!

Reactions: 3
I like a rule that’s called the 20/20 rule: can I buy it again for under £20 or replace it in under 20 minutes?

I’m at my folks place this week. Mum is extremely clean & tidy and both mum and dad are vague hoarders. Their drawers are stuffed full of stuff they use very occasionally (think: enough serving ware for a BBQ for 30-40 adults) but all neatly stored and organised. They have to organise and clean around it every single day in order to use it once a year. It’s exhausting!
Love the idea of the 20/20 rule - that's a new one to me but I'll try to remember that.

Maybe decluttering to parents and in-laws might be counter productive you will end up decluttering same items twice when it comes time to clear the houses 🤣
Not me taking my (very big) wedding dress to my parents' house for "temporary storage" in between moving houses and "forgetting" it there 👀

Speaking of, what do you do with your old wedding dress?? Unlike my husband who's been able to rewear his wedding suit to other people's weddings (not the whole suit haha... just individual pieces of clothing like trousers, shirt, shoes), I don't quite have that option...

I got a very expensive cardboard box and had it boxed up. I’ve since acquired a toddler daughter so I am keeping it for her although given I absolutely hate it when Mum tries to foist old stuff on me (“here’s your cardboard stiff first walkers! Maybe Mini Uber will like them?”) I’m being a total hypocrite.
Not me taking my (very big) wedding dress to my parents' house for "temporary storage" in between moving houses and "forgetting" it there 👀

Speaking of, what do you do with your old wedding dress?? Unlike my husband who's been able to rewear his wedding suit to other people's weddings (not the whole suit haha... just individual pieces of clothing like trousers, shirt, shoes), I don't quite have that option...

😂 I already do this actually @OnlyHereForTheLolz! With stuff that I don’t want to de clutter (I’m ruthless when needed) but want to keep but it takes up space, I hide it all around my parents’ country house like in the garage, under sheets in cupboards etc. They don’t even notice
I hate to be morbid, but will you not have to sort that same house in the future 🫣
---
Mine is stored away in a cupboard. I can't bring myself to get rid of it even though it's too small for me now anyways! My veil is hanging up on my wall in my dressing room though 😍

Reactions: 3
I had my wedding dress in a fancy box for years but it took up SO much room. Then I sold it eventually when we were moving and decluttering. I don't really see the point of keeping them. Better to let someone else use it before it goes out of fashion.

I've been trying to do the January challenge that someone mentioned on here where you donate 1 thing on day 1, 2 on day 2 etc and scarily it's been quite easy so far. Mostly things around the house that were sat waiting to be donated or sorted 🫣 and I didn't think I had that much. Took it all to a charity shop yesterday. 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You still need to book the tip recycling centre near me about a week in advance. Went to book my slot for Tuesday afternoon and they're almost all gone 🙃

Anyway that's my accountability there as we're limited to one trip per week 🤣

If you don’t want to sell it can you have it repurposed into a cute wearable dress or skirt and top?

Declutter day has arrived! Got six bags of old clothes and three bin bags for my recycling centre run this afternoon. Was MORTIFIED by the dust behind my bedside table 🙈 About to tackle the Vinted pile that hasn't sold which will be getting added to the recycling pile. Then will spend time tidying up the mess I've created.

Found about 20 books in my mess pile beside my bed. Decluttered about half of them and Mr B has offered to drop them at a local charity shop this afternoon.

My next chance to declutter is a fortnight away so don't want to live in too much mess in that time. But am getting there.

Reactions: 9
Declutter day has arrived! Got six bags of old clothes and three bin bags for my recycling centre run this afternoon. Was MORTIFIED by the dust behind my bedside table 🙈 About to tackle the Vinted pile that hasn't sold which will be getting added to the recycling pile. Then will spend time tidying up the mess I've created.

Found about 20 books in my mess pile beside my bed. Decluttered about half of them and Mr B has offered to drop them at a local charity shop this afternoon.

My next chance to declutter is a fortnight away so don't want to live in too much mess in that time. But am getting there.
Well done! I think I might take a couple of days off work next month and do the same.
When I get home from work I’m mentally exhausted and just not up for much

• Heart
Well done! I think I might take a couple of days off work next month and do the same.
When I get home from work I’m mentally exhausted and just not up for much
Absolutely, I totally recommend it. I work part-time but can have a 60-90 minute round commute some days. My job isn't particularly stressful but the driving time just adds onto the tiredness. Also, you can take everything straight out to the tip/charity shop/donation point instead of it hanging about until the weekend.

I’m so desperate to sort my wardrobe/closet out .. decided tonight I was done with making excuses and pulled everything out and nothing is going back unless I’m 100% about keeping it !

only problem is having an 11month old and limited time to do it so I’m scared it could take me months 😭 proud of myself for making a start and already having a nice pile of stuff to go dump at the charity shop 😂

nice to see others see no point keeping their wedding dress around because I’m tired of mine taking up space. Yes it’s a beautiful dress but not like I’m going to wear it again

Just seen someone on insta is trying to do a no spend year, AND a commitment that two items every single day go into a donation box 😱 might give it a go myself, feels a bit slower paced than a full declutter but that’s still over 700 items removed from the house in a year

Reactions: 4

I donated my dress to a children’s hospital, they make christening gowns for sleeping babies with them.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Something I never realised was quite so bad.. the amount of fluffy warm PJ sets and fluffy socks I have.. like I knew I had a lot but I didn’t know it was quite this many 😭 I have several family members who seem to just buy me this same sort of things every year at Christmas 😭 a lot of them are basically unworn, washed once and put away and buried likely lol.
will have to donate some of the ones I don’t like as much because no way can I keep all these ! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I tend to put my excess clothes in charity shops but the ones round my way are full and are refusing more.

The local tip is now inaccessible to me because a bridge is weak and the entire road has been closed - potentially for a couple of years as TFL and the council won't foot the massive bill for repairs.

I am now posting on Vinted and have sold a fair amount. I have been pleasantly surprised at what people will buy.

Someone told me of a company called I-Collect, which will come to your home to pick up your gear. You can select which charity you want the proceeds to go to. Look it up online. They will take quite a lot of stuff. I have used them twice now and you can book a time slot - you can either leave it outside your house or wait in and let them collect it in person.

Does anyone have any experience of using Thrift+ to clear out (and then buy) items? My Vinted sales have slowed right the way down.

Does anyone have any experience of using Thrift+ to clear out (and then buy) items? My Vinted sales have slowed right the way down.
Yeah- slightly mixed bag, leaning towards negative. Long story short- only send them things you really can't sell elsewhere.
They put things on at really high prices originally and then if they're not selling reduce them suddenly really low. They take quite a big commission too. I've only sent in one thrift+ bag, and got absolutely nothing for a pair of designer shoes as they suddenly reduced them to 1.50 and they were sold with commission, bringing my balance to - 50p.. I was FURIOUS.
However the Whistles skirt I sent in sold at £60! No WAY would I have got more than £10 for that on Vinted.
It's a bit of a gamble, use if you're feeling lucky, but it's easy to use for a quick clearout :)

• Heart