Desire to minimise/declutter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My unsolicited advice is sort first, organise later. Don't buy any containers until you know: 1) exactly how many you need after you've already sorted and decluttered; 2) what you're going to put in them, otherwise you'd risk ending up with too many containers which becomes clutter in itself (ask me how I know :oops:)

Hope this is ok to do, but I thought I'd share some posts from one of my fave minimalism bloggers on this topic too (I've mentioned her on other threads previously):
Interestingly I didn't see this before I went out today and actually ended up not buying anything as I realised I was buying without purpose. I also didn't buy anything to tidy the Christmas decorations away in, which is what I really wanted. Doh.

Reactions: 3
As somebody who loves to by tat that just end up cluttering up the house, I saw some great advice a while ago. Before you buy anything think of how long you have to work to buy that item ie you want that £20 decoration but that means you have to work 1 - 2 hours to afford it!
Put me right off buying some stuff once I realised how long I needed to work 😆 😆

Reactions: 8
I had a spare room which was shocking, it was my dumping ground....clothes, shoes, books.
I tried to do it myself but never got far.
I hired 2 ladies from a local decluttering company and they were amazing.
All done in 6 hours.
They went through all my clothes with me, and sorted them into piles - charity, ebay, dump.
Felt so much better after it.
The best money I ever spent.
I now have a beautiful spare bedroom, and have been able to invite friends to stay.
Ah I'd love to get one of these services in!

My budget version of this is that me and my husband help each other out.

Like with my clothes, I'll get them all out and ask him to hold each one up and ask me if I really want them. It pushes me to get rid of more stuff that way with a second opinion.

And I do the same for his hobby stuff. We can be quite honest with each other, like I'll tell him I haven't seen him use something for ages and he'll tell me that he's never seen me wear those shoes.

I've made a start 🙂
Cleared out one cupboard and about 90% there putting it back together.
Struggling to figure out how to store my tension rod garland Christmas decorations. Really don't want to dismantle them.

For me I don't use some stuff often, but I still genuinely love it :) I work remotely and spend my days in comfy fleeces etc, but I do go out about once every five months as well as visit friends. I have a pink Dior bag, a green Kate Spade bag, a red Gucci bag, a vintage cow print bag, suits, dresses.. I LOVE them and do wear them, but literally once a year 😂

3 bags for the dump, 2 bags for charity sorted and a bundle for vinted :m

Reactions: 11
I've gone round the house and de-cluttered every room. I have two charity shop bags, three bags for the tip and a vinted bag 🥳🥳🥳

• Heart
Reactions: 9
For me I don't use some stuff often, but I still genuinely love it :) I work remotely and spend my days in comfy fleeces etc, but I do go out about once every five months as well as visit friends. I have a pink Dior bag, a green Kate Spade bag, a red Gucci bag, a vintage cow print bag, suits, dresses.. I LOVE them and do wear them, but literally once a year 😂
Ah your going out stuff sounds great! Ive got 2-3 dresses and heels for weddings and occasions, wouldn't want to get rid but it's a shame they sit there only to be worn once every year or two.

Reactions: 2
Ah your going out stuff sounds great! Ive got 2-3 dresses and heels for weddings and occasions, wouldn't want to get rid but it's a shame they sit there only to be worn once every year or two.
Just realised I sounded a bit of a twit showing off about my ‘designer’ going out stuff but I just wanted to make a point 😂 I’ve GOT to downsize the thirty or so things I love but wear once every three years 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
How do you stop thinking about the perceived future usefulness? To my mind I understand that the money I spent is gone, but if I throw the item away and then need another one in future I’ve spent twice for no reason. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 5
Saw this on a FB decluttering group I belong t and it made me chuckle. Might start doing this 😂 Ofcourse the group being mainly Americans they did not see the funny side! :m :m
---
IMG_0189.jpeg

---
How do you stop thinking about the perceived future usefulness? To my mind I understand that the money I spent is gone, but if I throw the item away and then need another one in future I’ve spent twice for no reason. Am I missing something?
Practice! And sometimes, mind you normally yeara later, you do go “oh, I shouldn’t have thrown away that one shoe. Look I lost a leg it would’ve been so handy”

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My mum's just texted me today asking about the extra bauble she found on her tree 🤣 got away with it for a few weeks

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Seriously I have relatives where this would work perfectly, I’m sometimes surprised they find their way around their own home. Might try it.
😂 I already do this actually @OnlyHereForTheLolz! With stuff that I don’t want to de clutter (I’m ruthless when needed) but want to keep but it takes up space, I hide it all around my parents’ country house like in the garage, under sheets in cupboards etc. They don’t even notice

• Haha
My mum's just texted me today asking about the extra bauble she found on her tree 🤣 got away with it for a few weeks
I found an elf on the shelf in my tree.. no idea when or how it got there 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It depends how cluttered your home is and if you’d know where to find it if your future self needed it.

The week before Christmas I threw away 2 opened packets of curtain hooks that I found in a random box. My reasoning was that we are having Roman blinds fitted this year so I wouldn’t need them.
My son came to stay over Christmas and pulled on his bedroom curtains too hard and broke about 5 hooks! 🙄 If only I’d not thrown them away! Yes, they’re cheap so I could’ve gone out and bought another packet but then that half opened packet would be languishing in a drawer forever more. Instead we fixed it with some string which will do until we get new blinds.

Why keep something for “some day” when someone else may desperately need it today?

I can throughly recommend Dana K White, A Slob Comes Clean, on YouTube, podcast or blog.
She helped change my mindset. I’ve still a long way to go but I feel confident I will get there this time.

Reactions: 7
I had a drawer full of jumpers in a spare bedroom at my mum’s house (they’re too small for me but I’d wear them if I lost a few stone, which I hope to do at some stage). I got bollocked and told to take them away OR else so hid them in another spare room wardrobe as knew she’d check the previous one. Just heard they have guests coming to stay 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 7
You have to try to fight those thoughts and think logically about what you genuinely will use again. I try to remind myself that Amazon prime exists - like I used to keep 2 bottle openers because one day maybe 1 will break and I'll need the second. But in reality if that happened I could just get a new one the next day quite cheaply on Amazon.

Saw this on a FB decluttering group I belong t and it made me chuckle. Might start doing this 😂 Ofcourse the group being mainly Americans they did not see the funny side! :m :m
---
View attachment 2670340
Back when I was a young teenager, my sister gave her unwanted perfumes to me. A few years ago, after I’d had enough of them, I went round her house and hid them in her bathroom cabinet. I don’t know how, but she managed to find them a few days later 😂

• Haha