Desire to minimise/declutter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sorry if this is a complete ramble but I hope it makes some sense.

I’m a very tidy and clean person, I deep clean my house very regularly and my family thinks I’m a bit insane. But I enjoy it and it gives me such a sense of peace when it’s done. But lately I’ve had this nagging feeling like I have too many things. I’ve always had lots of material things as growing up I was bought a lot, nothing was ever really off limits and it was my parents way of being loving. Where as my husband doesn’t do stuff, he never had things as a child so doesn’t have that need like I do. I feel a sense of guilt that the house is mainly mine (and the children’s) things and not his. We’ve talked about it and he has no issue but I still do.

I also think lockdown has made me realise I don’t need all these things and there are people who need them more. I had a big clear out during the first lockdown and sold and donated a lot and now I want to go further.

I have a little dressing table in the spare room but I feel it’s not necessary and overly luxurious. I think it’s because my friend made a comment that I have a lot of things! That’s stuck with me, even though another friend in our group is a hoarder.

I’m not really sure what my point is, but I have this dark feeling over me and I want to clear out my house in the hope it will make me feel lighter I guess.

Reactions: 7
I've had very similar feelings since lockdown and spending more time WfH than usual. So I decluttered big time during the first lockdown, most of which went to charities or friends. And even now during the 2nd lockdown, I feel I need to declutter even more.

It can be hard to part with sentimental things, but sometimes its good to let go of the past. And I aim to clear out some old books, a nest of tables, and other rather large items that have been stuck in my cupboards gathering dust and serving no real purpose other than having that very same sentimental value.

But they will be gone in the next few days, and my house and my mind will feel better for it :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've had very similar feelings since lockdown and spending more time WfH than usual. So I decluttered big time during the first lockdown, most of which went to charities or friends. And even now during the 2nd lockdown, I feel I need to declutter even more.

It can be hard to part with sentimental things, but sometimes its good to let go of the past. And I aim to clear out some old books, a nest of tables, and other rather large items that have been stuck in my cupboards gathering dust and serving no real purpose other than having that very same sentimental value.

But they will be gone in the next few days, and my house and my mind will feel better for it :)
I’m glad it’s not just me. I have so many things just sitting there and have been for years and they serve no use to me.

I think I also feel a refresh coming. I need to change something as I’ve seen these walls to much this year!

Reactions: 1
I’m glad it’s not just me. I have so many things just sitting there and have been for years and they serve no use to me.

I think I also feel a refresh coming. I need to change something as I’ve seen these walls to much this year!
Just Do It!

BTW, your avatar scares the hell out of me, even though I don't really know why:eek: (Actually, it reminds me of my mother shouting at me when I was a little girl getting into trouble again, lol)

I lived in the same house from 10-19 and it was my parents' pride and joy. They had a lot of possessions and as children, we had a lot too. Then at aged 19 my parents moved abroad and decided to rent the house out. We had to go through everything and get rid of as much as possible. They did take a whole container full of belongings over with them but even still, there was a lot to get through. I will never forget my mum screaming from inside the loft at the level of crap she had and throwing it down the hatch really angrily.

Since then I have been really mindful of what I have and periodically will go through my clothes and belongings and give to charity or sell. It helps that I am not really sentimental at all and rely on the memories as opposed to possessions.

You have to be strict in your decision making and just do it. That's what I find helps. And it is a sense of relief having a clutter free house with mainly essentials.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just Do It!

BTW, your avatar scares the hell out of me, even though I don't really know why:eek: (Actually, it reminds me of my mother shouting at me when I was a little girl getting into trouble again, lol)
I will!! I’m on it. I just hope this dark cloud lifts! Oh my sorry 🙊 🤣

We’ve moved house three times in our 10 years together and until last year we still had stuff in the garage and loft from our first house together. I was dreading going through it but my husband sprung it on me and it did feel good to go through it. We live in a pretty small house now and since lockdown began I’ve decluttered two or three times. It feels so good to get rid of things, I absolutely love being more minimalistic. Our house is quite simple and I don’t have mismatched ornaments everywhere like in our first house. The energy feels so much better and I know where everything is now.

I do still have things I kind of wish I could throw out but I’m hugely sentimental but have scaled them down a bit and have some things in the loft that I can live with. One thing I definitely feel is it’s changed my buying habits, I really think now about whether I’ll use something or if it will become another thing that ends up cluttering a draw that I’ll eventually need to find another home for. I feel so much lighter and less weighed down and would recommend it to anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve always been a person with a lot of “stuff”. Grew up in a house full of stuff. My whole family loves shopping and hates throwing anything out (anytime I say throw out I mean recycle, charity shop, sell, or bin - delete as appropriate!)

When I got my own place I swore that I wouldn’t be like that but a decade later and I’ve got my gcse coursework and other useless stuff!!!! (My mum decluttered and said I could take my junk or she’d bin it.)

Over the last few years it was really getting to me. I did a few car boot sales and eBay etc and better. Tidy home, tidy mind (something like that?!).

But then I still had loads of other crap - including my gcse coursework. So I decided to do the 30 day declutter challenge. It was difficult towards the end but the outcome was great. And it also helped me think more about what I brought into my home. And since then my overall habits have improved. I’m much more mindful.

And I didn’t just throw out absolutely everything. I’ve kept a primary school project I did on London landmarks because it is so cute. I’ve kept all cards from loved ones but binned the ones from past acquaintances that I don’t even remember. Who are Sharon and Paul? I’ve kept my Brownie sash as those badges were well-earned - I let a boa constrictor sliver on my stomach for one of them!!

But anyways, enough waffling. Your post has inspired me to have another go. I’m going to do a 7 day challenge - that’ll be 28 items going to a better place, better than nothing. I’m eyeing up my empty coffee jars - about 10 for “just in case”.

Thanks for the push I needed. And goodluck with what you want to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Actually, since the creation of this thread a few hours ago, I have gone through my wardrobes and bottom drawers and cleared out some old clothes, shoes, handbags (OMG!!!!), shoes, jackets, shoes, tops, perfume, make-up cases, shoes, cookery books and shoes! :ROFLMAO:

EDIT. Of course until all this discarded stuff is actually out of my house, there is always a chance some of it may well end up back in my wardrobe.

I will blame @JoeBloggs for al of this trauma ;)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Actually, since the creation of this thread a few hours ago, I have gone through my wardrobes and bottom drawers and cleared out some old clothes, shoes, handbags (OMG!!!!), shoes, jackets, shoes, tops, perfume, make-up cases, shoes, cookery books and shoes! :ROFLMAO:
Quick and painless (I hope)!!!

If your username is a play on what I think then maybe you do need hundreds of shoes!

(oh no, not trying to be an enabler of hoarding on a thread about decluttering - good job honestly!!!)

Quick and painless (I hope)!!!

If your username is a play on what I think then maybe you do need hundreds of shoes!

(oh no, not trying to be an enabler of hoarding on a thread about decluttering - good job honestly!!!)
Actually, I had to do a double-take with your username because I thought it was quite a rude one :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I had a clear out during first lockdown; moved back home when my now ex dumped me in April so had to move back with my belongings from the house we shared together. I left my stuff in bags/suitcases for weeks while I was healing but once I started clearing out I couldn’t stop. It was difficulty throwing away sentimental things but I feel better for it. Sold lots of clothes on Ebay.

It does make you feel better mentally - I hate looking at clutter. I used to be a hoarder (I’d save empty perfume bottles if they looked pretty) but there’s just no point. This year has definitely changed my viewpoint on material things - it just isn’t important.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Since organising my wardrobe in lockdown i decided that i don't wanna buy any new clothes/shoes and haven't bought any since Feb actually😅

Reactions: 5
I LOVE to declutter! I absolutely hate “stuff”, and as my husband says I would happily live in a bare box. It definitely makes me feel lighter knowing the house isn’t crammed with useless stuff. And I’m pretty ruthless about what I let our 3 kids have too.

I’m currently doing this November challenge which is fab. Although I’m now at a point where I’m struggling to find anything more to go out 🤔

The hardest things for me to get rid of are things people have given me as presents. But I’m being totally ruthless this time, if it doesn’t get used or I don’t want to look at it, why keep it?

Throw out all the things! (Obviously recycle and give to charity/sell, not Chuck in the bin!)

Attachments

• Heart
My upstairs large bedroom and the stairway was so cluttered at one point a fireman said it was a fire risk when he came to fit a smoke alarm!. The problem was it got so cluttered I couldn't face sorting it out. Eventually though I decided to as I couldn't stop thinking about it all the time. I think I've had a bit of a compulsive buying problem over the years and done a lot of sports as well, so there was loads of sports gear etc as well as everyday things.
I took loads to a charity shop, had two charity collections actuality coming to the house for stuff. Gave stuff away on Freecycle, got rid of an old bed via the council large items collections etc. You name it, I had it up there, things like 30 pairs of trainers, the same with jeans, wetsuits, dry suits, bikes, hi fi, cds, books etc. I was on a roll and then painted and decorated the room and the staircase myself.
What I try to do now, is just have 4 or 5 of each item like coats or jeans instead of 30 etc, then its easier to manage. I had a small sale last week on Facebook marketplace and made £80 lol.

We moved from a three bed detached house onto a narrow boat four years ago. I was forced in to decluttering which was terrifying at first, but now having less stuff and thinking before I fill precious space with more is so freeing and liberating! I now find myself wondering how I ever managed to fill the space and what people fill houses with! 😂

I found it hard to part with things because I grew up in SA and there is always somebody who could use it, where as in the UK most people don't want your second hand stuff and I hate throwing away good items.
But I'd reached a point where I just couldn't deal with all my stuff anymore and for the last few years I try and declutter at least once a year.
If I haven't used it or worn if for at least two years, it goes. Exceptions for really sentimental items and special occasion outfits.

And it really does feel so much better when you clear things out

I found it hard to part with things because I grew up in SA and there is always somebody who could use it, where as in the UK most people don't want your second hand stuff and I hate throwing away good items.
But I'd reached a point where I just couldn't deal with all my stuff anymore and for the last few years I try and declutter at least once a year.
If I haven't used it or worn if for at least two years, it goes. Exceptions for really sentimental items and special occasion outfits.

And it really does feel so much better when you clear things out
Good to see another South African on here :)