Desire to minimise/declutter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I’ve started! I’ve rearranged our bedroom, cleaned and hoovered. Now to declutter some of the drawers.

Reactions: 5
Well 6 bin bags of stuff finally went to the charity shop last night, which were gratefully received.

My house, my garage and my car look far less cluttered, although I suspect give it enough time and I will be returning to this thread to say how cluttered all three have become again :rolleyes:

Reactions: 7
Well 6 bin bags of stuff finally went to the charity shop last night, which were gratefully received.

My house, my garage and my car look far less cluttered, although I suspect give it enough time and I will be returning to this thread to say how cluttered all three have become again :rolleyes:
That’s great going! I have one bag for the bin and one for the charity/to sell.

It’s amazing how quickly it builds. I know cleared to garage out a few weeks ago and we basically got rid of everything and it’s cluttered again.

Reactions: 2
I watched Marie Kondo on Netflix, and it inspired me to clear out my kitchen cupboards. Chucked out lots of stuff that was out of date, and bought small plastic storage containers and tiered shelves for the cupboards; so you can increase space and see everything. Did the same for the top shelves of my wardrobes, so now I can pull out a container with tee shirts or whatever. I still have a massive job to do on my spare bedroom, which has become a junkroom. I did watcher Hoarders on Channel 5, which again inspired me. But I am not anything like those poor souls, they have a serious physiological problem. Must admit I feel so much better and lighter when I have had a clear out!

Reactions: 4
I definitely feel lighter (emotionally) having less stuff. I wouldn't say I'm minimalist per se, but everything I do have serves a purpose. It drives me mad when people have things to use "for best" or display purposes only. The only dust collectors I have are porcelain houses, which I have an addiction to.

When debating about whether to get rid of something or not, I pop it in a cupboard and make a diary note to revisit it in six months; if I haven't used it in all that time then out it goes.

Reactions: 7
The problem with clutter/stuff in our house is that it belongs to everyone else .

I'm really trying to only have things I need / use .
I had to clear out an entire house after my dad died ,then lockdown happened and I couldn't get rid of anything for ages and it was so hard and time consuming. There's still so much stuff I don't want to keep in storage .
Things that could have been reused ended up in the bin just to get them out the house .
I also think some things were kept because they belonged to grandparents, not because they were liked/ useful and I hate that I have to be the person making the decision to get rid.

Then in our house, people (husband) leave things in the way and every where ends up cluttered and messy.

Reactions: 2
The problem with clutter/stuff in our house is that it belongs to everyone else .

I had to clear out an entire house after my dad died ,then lockdown happened and I couldn't get rid of anything for ages and it was so hard and time consuming. There's still so much stuff I don't want to keep in storage .
Things that could have been reused ended up in the bin just to get them out the house .
I also think some things were kept because they belonged to grandparents, not because they were liked/ useful and I hate that I have to be the person making the decision to get rid.

Then in our house, people (husband) leave things in the way and every where ends up cluttered and messy.
This is a reason I am keen to live a clutter free life style. When I die (I’m only 34 so hopefully a long way off yet!) I don’t want my husband or kids having to wade through mountains of stuff, and feel like it’s such a chore. If I have less stuff, they can do it quickly and hopefully just find a few things I’ve held on to which spark memories for them as well.

If my husband goes first I’ll have a field day throwing out all his junk. And I’ll be shouting at his ashes “I TOLD YOU TO GET RID OF THIS 40 YEARS AGO!” 🤣 he still whinges about a leather jacket I made him give to charity about 10 years back!

• Haha

I completely understand this, this year we’ve had to clear out both my grandparents houses. One was in Ireland so we got so far and then due to covid the rest had to be dumped.

My grandparents here I’ve helped my mum, we’re been ruthless as we just cannot keep everything. I’ve kept a few practical things and a bowl and lamp. The rest sadly been given away or sold.

Today I’ve done my wardrobe so two bags to charity, I was ruthless and one bag to sell. I did my knee in yesterday so progress has been slowed.

Reactions: 1
This is a reason I am keen to live a clutter free life style. When I die (I’m only 34 so hopefully a long way off yet!) I don’t want my husband or kids having to wade through mountains of stuff, and feel like it’s such a chore. If I have less stuff, they can do it quickly and hopefully just find a few things I’ve held on to which spark memories for them as well.

If my husband goes first I’ll have a field day throwing out all his junk. And I’ll be shouting at his ashes “I TOLD YOU TO GET RID OF THIS 40 YEARS AGO!” 🤣 he still whinges about a leather jacket I made him give to charity about 10 years back!
This is a very good point. Don't leave all this stuff for your kids to have to sort through.....

Reactions: 4
This is a very good point. Don't leave all this stuff for your kids to have to sort through.....
My parents are in the process of downsizing home drastically (8 bedrooms and a stack more house and outbuildings to a normal 4 bed house) so are now decluttering like crazy. I’m delighted we won’t be burdened with that job in years to come.

Reactions: 3
During both lockdowns I've had a big clear out and I feel so much happier and lighter for it. I can't be doing with so much physical stuff taking up space anymore, I feel like I'm being suffocated and hemmed in.

I only have one makeup bag and I've even converted to ebooks, buying/renting films online and downloading games digitally as well.

Reactions: 1
During both lockdowns I've had a big clear out and I feel so much happier and lighter for it. I can't be doing with so much physical stuff taking up space anymore, I feel like I'm being suffocated and hemmed in.
This is how I feel/felt! Surrounded by things even though in reality I’m not.

I did a big declutter during the first one but this time I’ve been brutal. I’ve got empty cupboards for once. I stupidly hurt my knee last week so progress has been slower than I hoped but I am determined to get it finished by the end of this lockdown.

• Heart
This is how I feel/felt! Surrounded by things even though in reality I’m not.

I did a big declutter during the first one but this time I’ve been brutal. I’ve got empty cupboards for once. I stupidly hurt my knee last week so progress has been slower than I hoped but I am determined to get it finished by the end of this lockdown.
I think empty spaces is such a great step, because I think we are all conditioned to "if there is space we must fill it". Whereas one you get comfy having places empty, you don’t feel the need for stuff just for the sake of it, if that makes sense?

• Heart
I think empty spaces is such a great step, because I think we are all conditioned to "if there is space we must fill it". Whereas one you get comfy having places empty, you don’t feel the need for stuff just for the sake of it, if that makes sense?
Completely! We moved from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed house and some how still ran out of room. Everywhere was full because it just felt like drawers/cupboards needed a use.

I’ve also made a point to use thing I’ve had for a while like candles.

There’s a podcast and a documentary on Netflix by two guys called The Minimalists that’s worth looking at, inspired me to really think about what I have and what I buy. I cannot stand clutter and mess and am always having a clear out! Kids toys drive me mad and I have to remind myself they won’t be around forever 😂

• Heart

How is your home looking now?

Hi! Does anyone else ever get the urge to get rid of everything except for maybe, like, a few sets of pyjamas, a cosy cardigan, and their toothbrush 👀

Also, could anyone recommend any relatable and realistic minimalism bloggers / influencers for motivation? Some that I like are:

Francine Jay (Miss Minimalist)
Heather Barta (The Barta House)
Annie (The LA Minimalist)

Reactions: 6
Hi! Does anyone else ever get the urge to get rid of everything except for maybe, like, a few sets of pyjamas, a cosy cardigan, and their toothbrush 👀

Also, could anyone recommend any relatable and realistic minimalism bloggers / influencers for motivation? Some that I like are:

yes. There are times where I literally just want to empty my house of everything lol.

Yes! All the time. Especially when I feel overwhelmed with putting away and sorting out clothes, I feel like binning the lot. I think it’s a good job I don’t live on my own or I would have one glass, one cup, and a bowl and that would be about it 😂

• Haha
I'm looking for tips / advice / discussion around...

Paperwork: How do you minimise and organise paperwork at home? In an ideal world, I would have no papers at all!
There are people on Reddit whose only paper possession is their passport & ID... I aspire to be them but I know that's not practical of course haha.

Perfume: I have enough perfume to last me 11+ years and I keep being gifted more and more (let's just say I have very generous in-laws) and now I just feel so overwhelmed thinking about it. A few years ago, I had finally gotten my perfume collection down to a single bottle, and then, shortly after, I got engaged and subsequently, married, and now it's just way too much, even with wearing 2 sprays of perfume everyday to try to use them up. I can only only manage 2 sprays otherwise it's too strong for me. Also not keen on using them up as room sprays as I prefer the house to be fragrance-free where possible (natural scents like cooking, baking, flowers are totally fine though, of course), lest I get a headache.