Desire to minimise/declutter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a clear out about 4 weeks ago
if I didn’t love it,use it or want it,then it went
11 black bags of clothes,3 babs of shoes,5 boxes of books,2 boxes of dvds one small tv,15 pictures,2 boxes of crap,a freeview box and 2 black bags of bedding went to the charity shop
I buy a lot from charity shops so it’s my way of giving back-let some one else have the pleasure of using it-while I’m having a look through what others don’t want
i hang to a lot of stuff but by clearing it,I find i have a clearer mind
i can find what I want so much easier and I have more to choose from if that makes sense?
my rule is if my fella starts making noises about moving stuff into the attic then it’s time to clear it out
our attic has two boxes of stuff (like my college work and pictures the kids have made over the years)
im a sod for buying stuff then becoming overwhelmed by the amount of ’stuff’ I have but have either gone off it or just don’t wear/use it
it’s much less stuff to dust too-I hate cleaning…

Reactions: 8
I think staying decluttered, not just constantly filling up again and repeating requires a real mind set change.
Before I buy stuff now I think do we really need it? Am I going to use it? Have we something that does the same or similar job? How long will it really last.
Not bringing as much in means less to clear out.

Reactions: 8
Having done some decluttering to my house yesterday, I have made a start on my garage and car this morning.

The amount of crap I've accumulated in the glove compartment and boot, is quite ridiculous :eek:

Reactions: 3
I havent been working from home but I have really upped my cleaning game since March. I am quite a tidy person anyway(I cant sleep if there is anything more than a glass in the sink) my weekly clean has now eeked out to twice a week. I have spent most of my annual leave decluttering and doing tip runs, painting rooms etc. I'm getting a sofa delivered in Dec so i feel like new sofa, new house kind of thing?

Reactions: 4
I love to have a big declutter before Christmas / before the tree goes up🤩
That is my thinking too! I keep my xmas decs in our spare room and that was a state a few months ago. Now its all organised and beautiful, no shifting things to get the xmas decs out. I also love the deep clean after the decorations get put away.

Reactions: 1
Actually, since the creation of this thread a few hours ago, I have gone through my wardrobes and bottom drawers and cleared out some old clothes, shoes, handbags (OMG!!!!), shoes, jackets, shoes, tops, perfume, make-up cases, shoes, cookery books and shoes! :ROFLMAO:

EDIT. Of course until all this discarded stuff is actually out of my house, there is always a chance some of it may well end up back in my wardrobe.

I will blame @JoeBloggs for al of this trauma ;)
Well done you!! I am so sorry for the trauma of it all 😝 I used to hate clearing out when I lived at home as my mum would always go through the stuff I was getting rid of and guilt me into keeping it. I now have to hide anything I get rid of in my house if she was to pop over.

Thank you all for joining me, my husband just does not get it! I wrote a list yesterday, we lost our cat recently and after being at home with him and the kids for so long to no being home alone most of the day it has really hit home so I didn't manage anything. I am working today, but tomorrow I will knuckle down, even if it is just a drawer.

I had a clear out during first lockdown; moved back home when my now ex dumped me in April so had to move back with my belongings from the house we shared together. I left my stuff in bags/suitcases for weeks while I was healing but once I started clearing out I couldn’t stop. It was difficulty throwing away sentimental things but I feel better for it. Sold lots of clothes on Ebay.

It does make you feel better mentally - I hate looking at clutter. I used to be a hoarder (I’d save empty perfume bottles if they looked pretty) but there’s just no point. This year has definitely changed my viewpoint on material things - it just isn’t important.
I hope you a feeling better, a weight lifted I bet! I used to do the same, I felt so guilty parting with things but as I have got older I do think why I am I holding on to this for however many years. I am a keen ebay seller and that makes parting with things easier!

My upstairs large bedroom and the stairway was so cluttered at one point a fireman said it was a fire risk when he came to fit a smoke alarm!.
That sounds like you really made some headway! I love getting a bit of cash for things that seem worthless.

We moved from a three bed detached house onto a narrow boat four years ago. I was forced in to decluttering which was terrifying at first, but now having less stuff and thinking before I fill precious space with more is so freeing and liberating! I now find myself wondering how I ever managed to fill the space and what people fill houses with! 😂
Wow that's quite a sizable difference, I think that's the key. Only filling the space with really important things. I very much a keep for later person, but I tend to just hoard all sorts!

Quick question - what does everyone do with the stuff they want to get rid of? I understand depop/eBay, but sometimes it takes a while to shift stuff and it’s sitting in your house until it’s sold. Charity shops? Give it away? But what about more expensive things?

Quick question - what does everyone do with the stuff they want to get rid of? I understand depop/eBay, but sometimes it takes a while to shift stuff and it’s sitting in your house until it’s sold. Charity shops? Give it away? But what about more expensive things?
We give everything to charity. We’ve given a TV, items of furniture , buggies etc away. I figure if we haven’t been using it we aren’t losing any money really. But we are in the lucky position that we don’t need the money from smaller sales, the hassle would outweigh it for me.
Luckily my dad does volunteer work for a charity so he takes all our stuff.
I am part of a local free cycle group as well which seems to work quite well although I’ve never actually used it to get rid of anything, again I can’t be bothered with the hassle.

Ebay/facebook marketplace/selling groups for more expensive things and price them lowish for a quick sale.
General inexpensive things, charity shops or those charity bags that come round.I also keep a few old clothes for gardening and decorating.
Items that have totally had it the bin, large items that have had it, the council.
I have given things away on Freecycle but got messed around a lot so dont bother now.

Reactions: 2
I usually ebay and store things in my garage. I have started doing facebook market place but found I get messed around a bit but its cash with no fees.

You’ve all inspired me I’ve got rid of 2 bin bags this morning 🥳 just a start! Going to eBay some and Facebook marketplace it for free as charity shops aren’t open I don’t really want it hanging around for a couple of weeks

• Heart
You’ve all inspired me I’ve got rid of 2 bin bags this morning 🥳 just a start! Going to eBay some and Facebook marketplace it for free as charity shops aren’t open I don’t really want it hanging around for a couple of weeks
Our charity shops are open here, but I guess with so many people at home for so long they have all cleared out, and the charity shops are over run with stuff, and turning quite a lot away.

I would love someone to come and help me clear out my stuff, I've gotten loads better at decluttering but I still keep a lot. I need to do through my clothes again I don't know how I have so many!!

Our charity shops are open here, but I guess with so many people at home for so long they have all cleared out, and the charity shops are over run with stuff, and turning quite a lot away.
I got lucky and gave them 4 small bags just before boris put us into lockdown again and they did have loads but we’re still accepting

Theres those places where you can take your clothes for cash and they go by the weight. I've never been to one myself but we have one locally.

Reminds me actually, I’m sure it isn’t all of the clothes bank but my cousins dad in law has the contract to empty all the ones in our local area. He gives them to my cousin she sells what is worth it and then he takes the rest to he weigh in people it doesn’t go to charity atall. It’s a wealthy area too she’s made a fortune apparently her dad (my uncle) told me, he’s furious about it but can’t stop her.

I don’t agree with them atall and you can’t choose your family sadly but I now don’t trust those bins I take to the charity shop direct now, I use to use them all the time. Worth keeping in mind if you want it to actually go to good.

Reminds me actually, I’m sure it isn’t all of the clothes bank but my cousins dad in law has the contract to empty all the ones in our local area. He gives them to my cousin she sells what is worth it and then he takes the rest to he weigh in people it doesn’t go to charity atall. It’s a wealthy area too she’s made a fortune apparently her dad (my uncle) told me, he’s furious about it but can’t stop her.

I don’t agree with them atall and you can’t choose your family sadly but I now don’t trust those bins I take to the charity shop direct now, I use to use them all the time. Worth keeping in mind if you want it to actually go to good.
I had a similar experience with charity shops.

Through work, I encountered a family - mother and child - who, through no fault of their own had been put out of their home. They found alternative housing but had nothing e.g. no bed for the child to sleep in. This was a couple of weeks before Christmas.
My colleague contacted a charity, explained the situation and asked for donations. The family were offered a (used and donated) bedframe for £200. In the end, a man from a local church completely kitted out their entire flat for them, Christmas tree and all.

Again, this won't be all charity organisations/shops, but I haven't donated anything to one since.