Derry Girls

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think Father Peter was the bishop - it wouldnt make sense, he’s a priest not a bishop and obviously Sister Michael would know who the bishop of her diocese was. I think the smirk and repeated line was just being sort of coy I guess about having to argue her case with the bishop? And I got the impression that Peter maybe didn’t want her to leave and have to be the one to tell her, so the conversation was acknowledging that?

Reactions: 11
Overall hated Season 3, Felt like the fame had changed the show. The Yanks loving it made it feel different. And Claire is a terrible actress, sorry, she looked like a constipiated chipmunk when she was trying to find the "Lezzie" to kiss. Chelsea Clinton was put in there to appeal to The Yanks. If you wanted a Clinton nod, just do a video of Bill, Not someone who had nothing to do with it. So much pandering with that.
The wrote a letter to Chelsea in series 2 when the Clintons visited Derry, it was mentioned then, she wasn't someone "who had nothing to do with it"

Reactions: 11
It was in tribute to the GFA

Reactions: 5
Well I take it back, Fair enough. Forgot about that episode. The rest I stand by though.

Season 3 definitely has a different tone to it, and I do get the sense that the global popularity of the show may have affected it. It almost felt like a different writer was involved, which is a bit of a shame. The show has always been a bit ridiculous but in a fun, playful way. This season felt overly dramatic and over the top. I figure it was because of it being the last season, they thought they could just throw anything out there as a last hurrah but it felt ingenuine to the overall vibe of the show. While I adore Saoirse-Monica Jackson, there's a subtle but notable shift to how Erin has been played this season, as if Saoirse is very aware of her fame now and carries herself differently as Erin. She can't be totally to blame, of course as she doesn't have all the control when it comes to her character. I'll still love the show for what it is, and glad that the decision was made to end it now instead of dragging it out for years. I'm ready and looking forward to seeing the cast in other projects moving forward 💓

Reactions: 8
They'll do a movie. Calling it now, and it'll be utter garbage.

The fact The Yanks took it over as they always **** do, ruined a perfectly decent show. The dad dying was emotional manipulation at its finest. I didn't give one shiny shite about him, or her awful attempts of crying, which made her look like a constipated chipmunk. Or the SLOOOW and SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD cover of Praise You, Which I really quite liked but it was so out of place. The Troubles? What Troubles? They never referenced them past Season 2. Wouldn't want to disrupt the Yanks perfect idea of Ireland now would we? Overall, decent show, in season 1, and 2. 3 never got going for me, and that death was handled awfully. If it was Gerry or Joe, then that'd have been powerful. Not random geezer who appeared for 5 minutes. And her grinning at him and giving the thumbs up, with hilarious ZOOM INs, yeah lads, we get it, he's gonna die. God awful.

Last edited:
I agree that this series isn't quite the same as the others. Its had some great moments but it probably is a victim of its own success. Clare was annoying throughout, even more so than before. My favourite guest star was Conleth Hill as the psychic, Ardel O'Hanlon was just irritating.

Last edited:
Claire was the worst part. And demanding to find the girl was just weird. She was FIXATED on her, I'd run a mile if i was the clown, Not let her kiss me, Lol.

Reactions: 13
I read a review praising the way Orla was portrayed as an autistic person.
I did not know she was. I haven't watched all the episodes but was this ever acknowledged?
I think Orla was a great character and one that developed the most tbh.

I read a review praising the way Orla was portrayed as an autistic person.
I did not know she was. I haven't watched all the episodes but was this ever acknowledged?
I think Orla was a great character and one that developed the most tbh.
Don’t think it was ever explicitly stated but there were subtle clues. I think through the series they made slight references, her lack of social skills at times, taking things quite literally though that led to her taking grandpa to the prom. I loved Orla think she was my favourite of the five.

Reactions: 16
Don’t think it was ever explicitly stated but there were subtle clues. I think through the series they made slight references, her lack of social skills at times, taking things quite literally though that led to her taking grandpa to the prom. I loved Orla think she was my favourite of the five.
It was in the press about it she’s a hit with the autistic community
Louisa’s Derry proud of Orla

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ent/louisas-derry-proud-of-orla-40531623.html

I think out of the younger cast, Orla really carried this series. Like another poster said recently, she's always doing something different in each scene - her innocent quirkiness shines through, whereas Erin and Claire became a bit more caricature and screechy 🙉

Reactions: 12
its remarkable, Erin's actor hasn't improved in acting in 5 years, that's a skill right there. To be as awful as you were when the show begin as you are when it ends.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
its remarkable, Erin's actor hasn't improved in acting in 5 years, that's a skill right there. To be as awful as you were when the show begin as you are when it ends.
Don't know why you have to be so bloody negative all the time can't you chill out a bit

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I think Orla and Michelle are the best of the young cast. Orla is so good in every scene, I love watching her reacting. Michelle has amazing comic timing and delivers her one liners perfectly, she’s a great comic actress.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
In last nights episode it showed James voting in the Good Friday agreement election being an English national surely that wouldn't have been possible? I know it's just a show lol but I was just wondering

Reactions: 2
In last nights episode it showed James voting in the Good Friday agreement election being an English national surely that wouldn't have been possible? I know it's just a show lol but I was just wondering
Not sure if it was the same back then as it is now but British nationals can vote in NI elections as long as they are registered to vote/live there.

• Wow
I assume he was eligible as he was a registered resident and probably held a passport for Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However his mother (and we assume his father) and grandparents were were Irish so he possibly had a claim that way.

I’m not an expert in any way and I can’t find any information either way.

I'm sure the wide reach of Derry Girls will bring Derry and Northern Ireland lots of tourism and it will be great. But a lot of it is still 'troubles' tourism.

It won't be in any of our lifetimes, but as Grampa Joe said, someday it will be a 'Ghost story' and the future generation will have hardly believed what went on and why it had to happen that way.

How we'll get to that stage? duck knows, but we will.

Reactions: 15