Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
I think the whole point of Derry Girls is to show what life was like away from the bombs and the guns it's a semi -autobiographical account of Lisa McGees teenage years ,she's not trying to gloss over the troubles she showing how people lived with them .
Oh I don’t mean Lisa McGee. I totally understand what she’s doing with Derry Girls. It’s the Americans who now want to live in 90’s NI who baffle me.

Reactions: 15

LowCalCalzoneZone

VIP Member
Nah...very underwhelming. Thought Nicola Coghlan was really OTT. Could barely understand what she was saying. Liam was a nice surprise though!
I know her performance is supposed to be OTT, but yeah it was just way too much (and just not funny). I wish they'd use Orla a bit more - she's the best of the bunch and the actress who plays her is brilliant

Loved Sister Michael in the video store, Colm and Liam Neeson though

• Heart

Warpaint

VIP Member
At first I thought with the phone call the Dad took it would have something to do with the troubles.

Blue Rose

VIP Member
Just watched the last two episodes. I agree this series wasn’t as good as the other two but it still had its good moments. At first I was confused about why they’d kill off Clare’s dad when we barely saw him, but I guess it was to show that amongst the troubles people still had their own tragedies going on.
I did find Clare’s character annoying this series but thought Erin’s was worse, I can’t stand the faces she pulls! Although I did nearly tear up at the speech she made during the party.
I loved the opening scene with Orla dancing and the end with them all leaving after voting. James’ rant about Cool Runnings was also very funny!
Overall, as someone who was born in England after the troubles this show has enlightened me to what went on at the time.

• Heart

RachyWoo

VIP Member
I would've preferred James to "really like" Orla, she's ace!! "We're gonna go ride some Farmers" 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
A good episode, but plot wise, a bit random for the last episode? Claire's Dad was hardly in it, just seems a bit odd. Well acted though, Claire's character was much better in this episode.
I wonder how today's final final episode will be.
Lisa McGee said she wrote it to represent that the girls had been forced to grow up and were no longer kids, she had a similar experience as a teenager where a friend's father died. I guess it being Claire's father made sense. She got more focus this episode, it couldn't be Gerry, and Michelle's father has had even less focus than Claire's

emmer_moans

VIP Member
A good episode, but plot wise, a bit random for the last episode? Claire's Dad was hardly in it, just seems a bit odd. Well acted though, Claire's character was much better in this episode.
I wonder how today's final final episode will be.

bluesky30

Yeah he seemed to barely be able to string a sentence together in series 3. Quite annoying character change.
I can’t articulate exactly what it is. It seems like he’s playing for a non existent laugh track. The whole scene about him lock picking the door of the school ‘like they do in the films” was painful to get through.

I’m not sure how much time passed between the end of series 2 and filming series 3 with lockdowns and actors schedules. The chemistry seems way off.

The parents and adults carry it for me. Little things like Mary refusing to do a half load of laundry (it goes against everything she believes in!), the Christmas cupboard, the big bowl.

And gems like Fionnula “You’re family. Well, you’re good people. You’re decent people”

Webster1357

VIP Member
I felt episode 3 wasn’t as good. It was obvious Clare had filmed her stuff at a different time. I’m liking the adults better this series.
Claire is really getting on my tits this season, her schtick is getting very old now. I could actually say the same for the Nun, no character development, just the same dry, jaded sarcasm every episode.

Dizzy

VIP Member
I’m re-watching this dream of a comedy in prep for season three. It is just brilliant: Michelle talking about the potato famine ‘Sure we got the gist. They run out of spuds, everyone was ragin’” Absolute perfection 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha

Ginmonster

Thank you both! It always puzzled me, I thought where do they all sleep
There was an episode in season one where ma mary is looking for darks for a wash and she says 'if I go next door, are you telling me I want find any darks in your washing basket' so yeah they live next door.

I wish they mentioned a bit more of Orlas, Clairs and Michelle families.

WhiteOrchid

VIP Member
Yeah I agree, I'm not sure it's needed. Thinking of Tuesdays episode again, Sister Michael in the DeLorean was brilliant and I loved the exchange with the 2 locals 😂
There needs to be a Sister Michael Origin Story Series! 👌🤣

• Haha

Dizzy

VIP Member
Absolutely loved the latest one. I would very happily watch a show with just the adults in it. I thought the opening scene around the table was brilliant - poor Gerry!! 😂

Reactions: 13

Warpaint

VIP Member
After a bit of a wobbly series this time round a very strong finish. They got the tone perfect in the episode, loved it.

Reactions: 13