Dental Implants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone!

My dentist has unfortunately told me that there really isn't alot more he can do for me, very little bone within one of my crowns that has been constantly just cementing back in and now its time for a dental implant. I am gutted! I feel like going to a new dentist for a second opinion but I know it will be much of the same story and I will be down on even more money as I will have to pay for that consultation of joining, getting x-rays etc. Also worry they will take a mould of my teeth and it will come out and wont go back in.
It's one of my front teeth and I have had bother with it since I was about 15.
My dentist can refer me to a guy he knows, who does implants, said it will be around 1-2k but I have been ringing around other places a bit more local, some have payment plans and free consultations, great reviews, can do one for you that day etc. One of the better ones have quotes me 2k with a payment plan and they seem the nicest.
I really don't want to go down the route of a denture and having to remove it etc, I'm only 32 and have hardly confidence as is.
I was awake all night really upset and my anxiety has got the better of me at the thought of my current tooth falling out and running around with nothing until I manage to get a dental implant. Its so much money too :( But needs must so that is the least of my worries.
It makes me so self conscious and I know in the long run this will help my confidence and sometimes I won't even laugh or smile

I guess just wanting a bit of advice really, has anyone got one? Is there any reason they can't do one? Was it painful?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
ooh I will be interested in the replies too. I’m the same age as you and have the same problem. I’m currently missing a front tooth and a week ago had dental surgery that has been horrible to recover from. I have no confidence whatsoever because of my teeth. I would be interested in peoples experiences with implants and who they went with.

I feel for you, I know how it feels to be in this position so I’m sending you lots of love.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone!

My dentist has unfortunately told me that there really isn't alot more he can do for me, very little bone within one of my crowns that has been constantly just cementing back in and now its time for a dental implant. I am gutted! I feel like going to a new dentist for a second opinion but I know it will be much of the same story and I will be down on even more money as I will have to pay for that consultation of joining, getting x-rays etc. Also worry they will take a mould of my teeth and it will come out and wont go back in.
My dentist can refer me to a guy he knows, who does implants, said it will be around 1-2k but I have been ringing around other places a bit more local, some have payment plans and free consultations, great reviews, can do one for you that day etc. One of the better ones have quotes me 2k with a payment plan and they seem the nicest.
I really don't want to go down the route of a denture and having to remove it etc, I'm only 32 and have hardly confidence as is.
I was awake all night really upset and my anxiety has got the better of me at the thought of my current tooth falling out and running around with nothing until I manage to get a dental implant. Its so much money too :( But needs must so that is the least of my worries.
It makes me so self conscious and I know in the long run this will help my confidence and sometimes I won't even laugh or smile

I guess just wanting a bit of advice really, has anyone got one? Is there any reason they can't do one? Was it painful?
You’re not alone Tinkerbell and I understand your anxiety. My teeth have always been ‘soft’ and I just need to look at a Mars Bar to get toothache. Where I am it’s about £3k for an implant and I’m not sure how long it’ll be before I need one.

It is a lot of money but it would be a weight off your mind - you wouldn’t have to worry about it coming out which might in turn help your confidence.

I’m interested to hear the replies too

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If I were you I would contact a few practices which offer implants and get a consultation. You can also ask their advice regarding the crown and see if it is the end of the road. If your dentist has said it is, it more than likely is unfortunately.
The dentist will take X-rays and images of your bone health to see if placing an implant is possible and then go from there. As it’s your front tooth, I would 100% invest in an implant and as you say, some practices offer payment plans! If you can afford it, go for it!!

I’m no expert, but I have worked with dentists who have placed implants so I can try to answer your questions?

edit to add: sometimes practices charge consultation fees. This could be about £200 which would be taken off the cost of treatment if you decide to go ahead with it.

more than likely they will offer a partial denture for you to wear whilst the implant heals. They will place the implant in the jaw bone under LA and then let it heal for about 3 months. After 3 months they will place the crown on top. It’s dental surgery, so I’m sure there will be some discomfort but nothing unmanageable (atleast patients I’ve worked on have said this)

as it’s a front tooth I imagine it’ll be a fairly easy implant to place.

• Heart
  • Wow
Thank you so much for your replies. I’ve managed to get a consultation tomorrow at 1pm for one of the better practices. It’s also free which is good as most were asking for £100 which in turn I now have towards my actual implant. I think my dentist said that there was no bone really for my crown to cement on to anymore hence it constantly coming lose etc but he did say an implant was the road to go. The crown I have there now is clinging on by dear life and if it goes il have to whip out the gorilla glue lol. It just makes me so nervous, even eating I break burgers up and cut my pizza as I won’t bite my food and I hate laughing or smile out of fear.
I know in the long run it’ll really help my confidence.
il let you know all tomorrow how I get on, and fingers crossed they’re able to give me an implant or that there’s enough bone or whatever to work with. I know it won’t be tomorrow that il get it and it’ll be a lengthy process but at least it will calm my anxiety somewhat and il feel better xx

• Heart
Thank you so much for your replies. I’ve managed to get a consultation tomorrow at 1pm for one of the better practices. It’s also free which is good as most were asking for £100 which in turn I now have towards my actual implant. I think my dentist said that there was no bone really for my crown to cement on to anymore hence it constantly coming lose etc but he did say an implant was the road to go. The crown I have there now is clinging on by dear life and if it goes il have to whip out the gorilla glue lol. It just makes me so nervous, even eating I break burgers up and cut my pizza as I won’t bite my food and I hate laughing or smile out of fear.
I know in the long run it’ll really help my confidence.
il let you know all tomorrow how I get on, and fingers crossed they’re able to give me an implant or that there’s enough bone or whatever to work with. I know it won’t be tomorrow that il get it and it’ll be a lengthy process but at least it will calm my anxiety somewhat and il feel better xx
Oh great news!! I know you’re probably joking about gorilla glue but please don’t use super glue 🤣🤣 people have been known to use it! You can buy temporary crown cement from a pharmacy or online if you need to do yourself at home. I’m sure there’s one called toofypegs. Definitely don’t bite or tear into bread or pizza! Just cut everything small and try not to use your front tooth at all or it probably will come out.

it’ll be a lengthy process but it really is gold standard in terms of options for you 🤞🏻

• Heart
Oh great news!! I know you’re probably joking about gorilla glue but please don’t use super glue 🤣🤣 people have been known to use it! You can buy temporary crown cement from a pharmacy or online if you need to do yourself at home. I’m sure there’s one called toofypegs. Definitely don’t bite or tear into bread or pizza! Just cut everything small and try not to use your front tooth at all or it probably will come out.

it’ll be a lengthy process but it really is gold standard in terms of options for you 🤞🏻
Yeah I’ve read a lot on line today about people using super glue but I don’t blame them haha. I’ve had a look online and there’s a few things il buy depending on how tomorrow goes. Thank you :)

Even if they can get me booked in properly and a temporary denture until I can get the real thing then il be happy, it was just When my dentist said about a denture that I’d have to take out at night it just genuinely really upset me and I burst into tears as I’d pictures of my Nan taking out her dentures lol :(

I think the fact I’m 32 and my dentist says “still young” then there should be something that they can do. They’ve got great reviews too and seemed so friendly on the phone. I guess peace of mind will help as I’m just sat overthinking it all majorly but your advice has really helped so thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Yeah I’ve read a lot on line today about people using super glue but I don’t blame them haha. I’ve had a look online and there’s a few things il buy depending on how tomorrow goes. Thank you :)

Even if they can get me booked in properly and a temporary denture until I can get the real thing then il be happy, it was just When my dentist said about a denture that I’d have to take out at night it just genuinely really upset me and I burst into tears as I’d pictures of my Nan taking out her dentures lol :(

I think the fact I’m 32 and my dentist says “still young” then there should be something that they can do. They’ve got great reviews too and seemed so friendly on the phone. I guess peace of mind will help as I’m just sat overthinking it all majorly but your advice has really helped so thank you ❤
No I agree, I wouldn’t want a denture either (obviously different as part of your implant treatment as it’s not permanent)

did he not discuss bridge work with you? Implant is still the best option but if your other teeth are healthy you could have a bridge?

Reactions: 2
No I agree, I wouldn’t want a denture either (obviously different as part of your implant treatment as it’s not permanent)

did he not discuss bridge work with you? Implant is still the best option but if your other teeth are healthy you could have a bridge?
He didn’t really but I think I was that upset, he didn’t want to go on at me as he could sense I just wanted to leave lol. If I don’t have enough bone health is a denture the only option really? I read online that an implant can still be necessary depending on a few different reasons such as jaw structure or something? It’s all went over my head as it’s not something I thought I’d need to even worry about for a while.

Edited, I think there’s still bone just obviously it won’t work with crowns and cement anymore as it doesn’t hold it basically. I think it’s cause I’ve had the crown for so long

Hmm, ask tomorrow about all of your options again with the implantologist! Ask about bridge work and if that’s an option. You’re young, so your bone support is likely good.
I imagine they couldn’t refix the crown as there’s not enough tooth structure to secure it properly.

If implant is a no go, and they won’t offer a bridge then yes denture is your only option. I’m sure they can do something for you though 🥰

• Heart
Hmm, ask tomorrow about all of your options again with the implantologist! Ask about bridge work and if that’s an option. You’re young, so your bone support is likely good.
I imagine they couldn’t refix the crown as there’s not enough tooth structure to secure it properly.

If implant is a no go, and they won’t offer a bridge then yes denture is your only option. I’m sure they can do something for you though 🥰
Thank you! I guess I have to wait and see. I’m sure my dentist wouldn’t refer me and tell me to look at implants if he didn’t think I was eligible. He’s mentioned them a few times to me I just didn’t think it would be so soon. When the tooth was last out I could see white in the gum which I assume is the tooth structure. I think I was lucky to get as long as I have out of this crown. Will try to stop reading google and thinking the worst, google is the worst sometimes haha. Thank you, you’ve made me feel a bit better. I’ve just been so unlucky with my teeth and wish I looked after them better when I was younger but alas was very thick and didn’t think to the future.

• Heart
My dad had some implants done in Budapest. They turned out great and where he went to also have a clinic in London. He went to London for a check before hand to see if it could be done. Then a trip short trip to Budapest to get the implants. Then back again for a week a few months later once they had healed to get the teeth made and put in.
One came off after a few months so they saw him in London to have it tightened again and it’s been fine since.
Was cheaper to do it this way than have it all in the UK. This was a few years ago and had no issues since.

I had an implant at 29 in my smile line (3rd tooth after my front tooth). Losing that tooth was the result of shoddy work by previous 80s dentistry. I needing bone grafting also to support the implant. Cost around £2500 nearly 10 years ago with one of the better places in my area. No one would ever know and it hasn’t caused any issues. Discuss the options of a temporary fake tooth whilst you are having the implant process completed. Be prepared to see a hygienist every sixth months for ever. Good luck. It doesn’t hurt x

Reactions: 4
So nervous as time approaches and sat in work with my belly in knots. I just worry they say I can't even get an implant but il keep you all updated on the next steps. Thank you all for your replies. I really should have stayed away from google last night, did my boyfriends head in the whole night constantly reading stuff :cry::ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Hi everyone!

Go for it, you won't regret it. I got one a while back. Mine was replacement for a baby tooth when my adult one didn't come through. It was a front lower one.
It wasn't painful at all, i always keep my eyes closed any way and obviously I was anaesthetised. I eat as normal, had it a couple of decades and never had a problem.
I can't see there being any reason they'd refuse, unless you have major heart issues or something. Good luck 👍

Quote: ‘I can't see there being any reason they'd refuse, unless you have major heart issues or something. Good luck 👍

If the jaw bone has been rejecting the original tooth for a while then there may be some bone loss where they need to put the titanium screw into the jawbone. This screw/post is what holds the white crown in place. So I think the main thing that would create a no-go answer from the dentist (or more likely add £1000 to the cost and add some waiting time to the treatment) would be to be told you need bone grafting first. It’s a powder which is inserted via a cut gum which promotes bone growth (I could be wrong, but I think it’s something from a pig?🤣) Anyway I had it and it worked, so fingers crossed for you.

Feeling really happy after today’s consultation. Everyone was really friendly and I wasn’t judged, was able to open up and to have the implantologist go through everything with me. They really didn’t mess around. I was in for a good hour or more, X-rays, pictures, 3D scans… he was really unhappy with the work done by my dentist, there was a fracture within the crown and an abscess up in the root. The fact I’ve never been told any of this. He went through so much, information overload but il go into better detail tomorrow when I wait for the plan to be emailed across to me.

I’ve got two appointments, a month from now and two weeks apart, one appointment will take the crown out and they’ll form a bridge from the two canines. Then they’ll put a more permanent bridge in for me. It gives the abscess a chance to heal and the bone to grow a little more, I can go down the option of implants, instead of a bridge. this will obviously be a lot more money but it’s a long way off so I don’t need to worry about that, and tbh I’m fine with that as the bridge is fine!

I actually have two crowns however one is fine, but he said it will much go the same so this is the best way to do it. Again it’s information overload so il be able to explain a bit better in detail when I get it all sent through to me in writing for anyone else in the same boat.

he’s assured me il never leave there with no tooth or with a fear of losing a tooth, it was a free consultation and they put that much work into it, I just left feeling like a huge cloud had been lifted.

it’s going to cost just under 2k but il be able to have a payment plan which will help me massively. It’s going to be a lengthy process but I can’t wait to have confidence again :) x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Aw glad you’re feeling good about the appointment! What a shame your dentist didn’t x-ray the area and pick up on the infection 🙄

Are you an NHS patient? I’d be half tempted to go back to your dentist and discuss findings and see if they will offer you an NHS bridge? It’ll be a fraction of the price? Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs and health of your mouth etc just trying to save you money! Seems a shame to pay £2k for a private bridge and then potentially another £2k in a few years if the bridge fails? Sorry I hope I’m not being negative! Just want you aware of all of your options! Obviously if you’re happy with the bridge and it lasts a long time and it’s much less invasive for you then that’s fab! X

Aw glad you’re feeling good about the appointment! What a shame your dentist didn’t x-ray the area and pick up on the infection 🙄

Are you an NHS patient? I’d be half tempted to go back to your dentist and discuss findings and see if they will offer you an NHS bridge? It’ll be a fraction of the price? Obviously I don’t know the ins and outs and health of your mouth etc just trying to save you money! Seems a shame to pay £2k for a private bridge and then potentially another £2k in a few years if the bridge fails? Sorry I hope I’m not being negative! Just want you aware of all of your options! Obviously if you’re happy with the bridge and it lasts a long time and it’s much less invasive for you then that’s fab! X
I’m under the impression that I could apparently get maybe 10 or more years from this bridge but he did say I’ve got two options really which is so much better than yesterday when I thought I wouldn’t have any. It’s a lengthy process and it’ll take some time so I’ve got a while to think it all through. he said not to stress myself with making a decision now and we will go through it all again at the next appointment.

have to add, my current dentist, is private but he brings newly qualified dentists or else close to/last year of school, in to his surgery for a year at most. It’s those dentists I’ve been seeing for the best part of 10yrs as I’m NHS or whatever it is here in NI, I still pay for my treatment just not as much. Every year I see someone new. One occasion one of them tried to take my crowns out to recemment them both just because one was wobbly. She couldn’t get one out but continued to push and pull at it. It didn’t budge. She told me it would likely loosen and I’d have to come back in the next few months. She was right. On another occasion my dentist was watching over as the new Person did a procedure and the amount of times he had to step in and show them the correct way to do it was just really worrying. I feel this has all been a part to play along with the fact I’ve just had rubbish teeth since I was a child.

part of me feels bad for my dentist, I know he did all he could, and I feel bad for getting upset. I just wish at the time when I knew things weren’t right, I’d had the balls to speak up and maybe now I wouldn’t be in this position. I don’t really want to go back and say anything about the findings of the infection etc as tbh it’s just caused me so much upset and stress.

im just glad I’m finally getting sorted and I can’t wait to have some confidence back. I’m so happy as wel I don’t need dentures! Xxx