Deleting Family Off Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you done it? How did you go about it? Years ago, my husband's family added me on social media and I can't stand some of them and just want to remove them. Namely, his aunt who is a self-absorbed, crazy, narcissist. (she asked my SIL and husband for $50,000+, split between us for a mortgage for a new flat recently. Hell to the no. He speaks to her once a year...if that). Anyway, she would totally notice if I unfollowed her as she doesn't have many followers. I was thinking of just removing her as a follower and maybe she would think she did it herself by mistake, lol. She's the kind of person that would cause drama over being removed... but you know when you just really dislike someone and want them gone? Blocking is an option but she would probably realise she couldn't see my profile and mention it to someone who would still be able to see it.
I just unfollowed some members and blocked a couple more.

I gave the excuse that I rarely use Facebook. Some have followed me on Insta, but I have not followed back. Besides, I rarely use Instagram, so felt it pointless to follow them.

Life is too short to put up with insufferable relatives on social media. Just block the buggers!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Unfriend her, block her, duck her.

I probably sound like a complete witch, but none of my inlaws would give me the time of day unless they want something, so I've deleted them, and frankly I couldn't care less what they think.
Couldn't have said this better myself!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I just KNOW if I do it, it will turn into a drama because that is how nuts she is.

She added me on FB years ago. No idea how she even found me.... I am not even friends with my husband on FB! Well, I blocked her a few weeks ago. That is easier though as I like I said, I am not friends with my husband on there or any of his family. So if she asks I will just say I deleted it.

IG is trickier as other family members follow me, although I wish I didn't accept them.
It sounds like cut throat just isn't an option here.
I would then just deactivate my social media. Make a new one under a random name could just be numbers. Then if she asks just say you got locked out your old one?

Reactions: 2
Eugh I hate that about family members on social media!! My in laws are so pass remarkable about the other girl that married into the family it’s unbelievable so I know they do the same with me. It makes me feel so paranoid and self conscious that I can’t post anything ever! Even when I share stuff to my story I just know my SIL and MIL have a good witch about me, even when it could be a nice quote or something upbeat. So draining and unnecessary

Reactions: 6
Me again... I deleted this family member but they requested to follow me again.
A little update since last time... one of my husband's parents died and this aunt did not even reach out to my husband to give condolences. Only a week later at the funeral did they say something. My husband was furious and upset. She had the nerve to ask for money but when a parent dies, it is silence. She is now upset because my husband was mad at her. She is a c u next tuesday.

You don’t owe anyone anything, least of all that they can follow you on social media! Delete or
block them, life is too short to be dragged down my people you don’t like. Even if they are family, it’s your life and your life alone

Reactions: 1
Pretty sure you can hide stories and restrict posts. But if she’s getting on your nerves just block her 😂 my husband has a large family so my block list is like a phone book!

• Haha
I deleted 99% of my family on FB year ago…. As they never seemed to bother with me at all, despite my repeated attempts to keep dialogue open.

Out of the blue - years later, I get a FB message from my cousin basically calling me out for deleting her…. “I can’t believe you deleted me as a friend… shame on you!”….. I simply replied back “I can’t believe it took you three years to notice, so shame on you!”

Never heard from them again. Job done.

OP: Just delete them. Don’t worry about what they say… you don’t have to justify who you have on YOUR social media.

Reactions: 4
I got rid of some family members on fb and insta and it caused that much hell on , it was easier to just add them back on and limit their profiles

I got rid of some family members on fb and insta and it caused that much hell on , it was easier to just add them back on and limit their profiles
Ig doesn't let you limit them the same way as FB. You can mute them so you don't see their posts can hide stories from them but you can't stop them seeing grid posts which is what I want.

Finally deleted her again. It will prob take a month or two for her to notice. If she re adds me then I will just let it sit there. Lol. I didn't block her as she would prob mention to my Mil that she can't find my ig and Mil would mention she can still see it and that would cause more problems 🤣