Deleting Family Off Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you done it? How did you go about it? Years ago, my husband's family added me on social media and I can't stand some of them and just want to remove them. Namely, his aunt who is a self-absorbed, crazy, narcissist. (she asked my SIL and husband for $50,000+, split between us for a mortgage for a new flat recently. Hell to the no. He speaks to her once a year...if that). Anyway, she would totally notice if I unfollowed her as she doesn't have many followers. I was thinking of just removing her as a follower and maybe she would think she did it herself by mistake, lol. She's the kind of person that would cause drama over being removed... but you know when you just really dislike someone and want them gone? Blocking is an option but she would probably realise she couldn't see my profile and mention it to someone who would still be able to see it.

Reactions: 3
Can you unfollow but not unfriend? Depends which social media platform you use but I think Facebook has that option. That way you don’t have to see any of their crap, but technically you’re still friends and they won’t know any different.

Reactions: 7
Can you unfollow but not unfriend? Depends which social media platform you use but I think Facebook has that option. That way you don’t have to see any of their crap, but technically you’re still friends and they won’t know any different.
It is Instagram I want to remove them from. You can mute them. But... I don't want them seeing my updates, not that I post anything very interesting. I can hide them from my stories but they will still see grid posts. Honestly, I am probably just being petty... if I don't like someone, I want to just cut them out of my life 😂

Reactions: 4
It is Instagram I want to remove them from. You can mute them. But... I don't want them seeing my updates, not that I post anything very interesting. I can hide them from my stories but they will still see grid posts. Honestly, I am probably just being petty... if I don't like someone, I want to just cut them out of my life 😂
Ohh haha yeah not so easy on Instagram then! I know what you mean though, in that case I vote to just block them 😂

Reactions: 1
Long story but I blocked my sister, brother in law and niece off all social media. I even deleted the phone numbers so they had no way of contacting me unless they went via another family member. It was the best thing I done. They are trying to worm their way back in but I can't be bothered.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Long story but I blocked my sister, brother in law and niece off all social media. I even deleted the phone numbers so they had no way of contacting me unless they went via another family member. It was the best thing I done. They are trying to worm their way back in but I can't be bothered.
So his aunt added me on FB years ago and recently I removed and blocked her - she isn't active.

She is active on IG so would totally notice if I removed/blocked her and would probably ask his mum/sister or him where my account had gone.

I have never liked her but her having the nerve to ask for that much money because she wanted a new flat has really fucked me off. At first, she was wanting to move because her neighbour was "harassing" her but then it came out that she actually resolved the issue with her neighbour ages ago ...so she has no reason to move anymore (she is retired and with no mortgage). She was simply wanting a flat that was well beyond her means. She's off her head. I don't know what she thinks we are.

Reactions: 3
A few years back, I had enough of a family member and just deleted and bloked said person.
It might sound harsh but I rather them knowing I want them to stay away, than have crap people sniffing around.

I would say block. It might be weird or harsh but it's the best way of keeping your peace.

Reactions: 5
Unfriend her, block her, duck her.

I probably sound like a complete witch, but none of my inlaws would give me the time of day unless they want something, so I've deleted them, and frankly I couldn't care less what they think.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Done it and never looked back. I promise you you will feel a weight lifted when you do, and regardless of what they think, you don't want them in your life anyway! You'll be happier for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I blocked my sister in law and it felt like a huge weight has been lifted!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Leave that account as it is, make a a new one to post on and block her from that. Just tell her you don't use insta any more

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have a few regretted refriend acceptances from family of mine who are incredibly toxic, they are spiteful, backstabbing gossips and I know from past experience just how personally they can take a standard blocking. I usually just limit them to seeing certain posts, so they know none the wiser.

Reactions: 6
I really needed to read this thread 🙌🏻 The dramas that unfriending toxic family members have caused is crazy, but so much better for our mental health ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just KNOW if I do it, it will turn into a drama because that is how nuts she is.

She added me on FB years ago. No idea how she even found me.... I am not even friends with my husband on FB! Well, I blocked her a few weeks ago. That is easier though as I like I said, I am not friends with my husband on there or any of his family. So if she asks I will just say I deleted it.

IG is trickier as other family members follow me, although I wish I didn't accept them.

Just delete who you don’t want viewing, you don’t owe anyone an explanation for doing what’s best for YOU
I used to be very “I don’t want rock the boat” but now? I will literally test the sea legs of anyone!! Lol xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You can just mute people on Instagram!?
I already have! but I don't want them seeing mine. I have hid my stories from her but you can't hide grid posts from someone on ig. At least FB you can put them on a limited profile so they see nothing.

• Heart
I’ve done this on Instagram loads recently lol. I’ve found you if you block them and then unblock them you both won’t follow each other anymore, I think it looks better than if you just block or just unfollow.

I’ve done this on Instagram loads recently lol. I’ve found you if you block them and then unblock them you both won’t follow each other anymore, I think it looks better than if you just block or just unfollow.
Hmmm but she will notice and will say something. That is the part that is holding me back. In general, I have no problem unfollowing people but because she is family, it makes it worse.

Hmmm but she will notice and will say something. That is the part that is holding me back. In general, I have no problem unfollowing people but because she is family, it makes it worse.
Would she say something to you do you think or your partner? I would probably let him deal with it or just ignore her if she tries to contact you. After a few years of a strained and stressful relationship with my partner’s family we have recently cut the lot of them off and I couldn’t feel happier. The relief is immense. Let her say what she wants, she can’t force you to follow her and it’s not worth your peace!