Cults

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
McVeigh wasn’t part of the Koresh’s cult but he was a second amendment guy and was angered by the US gouvernements response to the Waco siege (and also Ruby Ridge) and that was a big part of his motivation for the Oklahoma bombing.
Thanks for correcting me on that 🙂. Thought I heard them say ( on the Waco series ) he was part of WACO but have obviously misheard 🤦🏻‍♀️.
---
Where can I find murder among the Mormons please?
Netflix 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks for correcting me on that 🙂. Thought I heard them say ( on the Waco series ) he was part of WACO but have obviously misheard 🤦🏻‍♀️.
---

Netflix 🙂
There was a crazy camp of people who turned up during or just after Waco who were protesting, all individuals who weren’t happy. McVeigh was one and I think he was selling or handing out stickers and leaflets about government interference in people’s rights

Reactions: 5
This thread is fascinating. I love reading about Cults. I have done a lot of bible studies with JW over the years, personally I find the bible fascinating but I can't find a religion that has all my beliefs. Anyway, they are lovely to begin with, then the pressuring to convert and join. It gets so much. I like reading their Watchtower and Awakes, but the constant nagging to join.
I love reading about the Mormons (might have to do with the TV series - Big Love) LOL but polygamy intrigues me as to - seriously if my partner was hooking up with my sister wife every second night - I'd be jealous of hell. I call rubbish that they all get along so well and so happy.
The Amish seem a bit Culty to me as well. I've read stores about them leaving.
Re : JW a work friend of mine was raised a JW and married one. He beat her senseless whilst she was pregnant (she was in a coma when her son was born), the JW didn't say anything bad about him, but apparently tried to prevent her mum and dad from seeing her and her son when she left the JW's. The mum and dad even still associate with the Ex knowing what he did. Freaks me out!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
This thread is fascinating. I love reading about Cults. I have done a lot of bible studies with JW over the years, personally I find the bible fascinating but I can't find a religion that has all my beliefs. Anyway, they are lovely to begin with, then the pressuring to convert and join. It gets so much. I like reading their Watchtower and Awakes, but the constant nagging to join.
I love reading about the Mormons (might have to do with the TV series - Big Love) LOL but polygamy intrigues me as to - seriously if my partner was hooking up with my sister wife every second night - I'd be jealous of hell. I call rubbish that they all get along so well and so happy.
The Amish seem a bit Culty to me as well. I've read stores about them leaving.
Re : JW a work friend of mine was raised a JW and married one. He beat her senseless whilst she was pregnant (she was in a coma when her son was born), the JW didn't say anything bad about him, but apparently tried to prevent her mum and dad from seeing her and her son when she left the JW's. The mum and dad even still associate with the Ex knowing what he did. Freaks me out!
I grew up in a cult and now I’m a full blown atheist!
Leaving the cult and learning they had lied to me about pretty much everything, made me very wary of anything people say, so I do a lot of research and digging on most claims. Probably why I love tattle so much!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I love reading about the Mormons (might have to do with the TV series - Big Love) LOL but polygamy intrigues me as to - seriously if my partner was hooking up with my sister wife every second night.
The 'mormons' who still practise polygamy are fundamentalists; if you wanted to look into the Church of Latter Day Saints you will find that they 'outlawed' polygamy in the late 1800s when they wanted Utah to become a state; the US government wouldn't allow it due to that practise so they stopped it. There was a splinter group formed who wanted to continue and these people are the FLDS who practise other things that the modern LDS Church do not and never have done such as intermarrying/interbreeding within families.

Reactions: 6
FLDS and the AUB (Allred’s) and the Kingstons all separate polygamist sects who generally disagree with each other

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I always watch a podcast on YouTube called Cults To Consciousness. She’s ex Mormon and interviews loads of people who escaped/left cults and high demand religions. She has some really good people on there!

Reactions: 8
Has anyone watched “under the banner of heaven”? It’s a drama based on a true story about some fundamentalist LDS members who murdered their relative because they didn’t think she was as submissive as she should have been.

It has Daisy Edgar-Jones in it. It’s a great drama but utterly harrowing and so frustrating to see how people genuinely believe this tit.

The guys who did it have never even shown remorse and at least one them is still alive and in prison, going on about how the murder was “necessary”.
I’m not religious and personally don’t believe in an afterlife - but I’d like to think there’s some entity we meet when we die that tells all these culty freaks how fucked up they are for thinking their actions and beliefs would get them a first pass to meeting whichever god they believe in.

Reactions: 7
I'm fascinated by cults and we've gotten really into watching all the documentaries on Netfix/ Prime etc. Just settling down to watch the new Raëlism one on Netflix, looks suitably bonkers!
I'd never heard of this one before until someone on the Scientology thread mentioned it a while back so I'm looking forward to finding out more.
Has anyone watched it yet?

Reactions: 2
I'm fascinated by cults and we've gotten really into watching all the documentaries on Netfix/ Prime etc. Just settling down to watch the new Raëlism one on Netflix, looks suitably bonkers!
I'd never heard of this one before until someone on the Scientology thread mentioned it a while back so I'm looking forward to finding out more.
Has anyone watched it yet?
Ooo have you watched Shiney Happy People on Prime

Reactions: 4
I grew up in a cult and now I’m a full blown atheist!
Leaving the cult and learning they had lied to me about pretty much everything, made me very wary of anything people say, so I do a lot of research and digging on most claims. Probably why I love tattle so much!!
This may be too personal so ignore my questions if it is.
When you left did you have to “escape” as such and are your family still members? If they are, did they have to disown you? Apologies for my ignorance, it’s just how former members describe it on the documentaries I’ve watched.
It must have been a monumental and scary and extremely brave decision to leave.

Reactions: 5
This may be too personal so ignore my questions if it is.
When you left did you have to “escape” as such and are your family still members? If they are, did they have to disown you? Apologies for my ignorance, it’s just how former members describe it on the documentaries I’ve watched.
It must have been a monumental and scary and extremely brave decision to leave.
I left in 2001, I say escape because it took six months to a year for them to stop harassing me, stalking me, threatening me, and to untangle myself financially. Not to mention the brainwashing that had to be undone (still working through some issues now, over 20 years later)
We have large families and half of mine are ‘out’ of it all thank god and we get on 👌🏻👌🏻. The other have are in and have no contact at all, have blocked us completely. Contact with my parents is limited and awkward as they have been told not to have anything to do with us.
The decision to leave didn’t feel brave at the time, I was constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for god to ‘smite’ me for daring to leave!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I left in 2001, I say escape because it took six months to a year for them to stop harassing me, stalking me, threatening me, and to untangle myself financially. Not to mention the brainwashing that had to be undone (still working through some issues now, over 20 years later)
We have large families and half of mine are ‘out’ of it all thank god and we get on 👌🏻👌🏻. The other have are in and have no contact at all, have blocked us completely. Contact with my parents is limited and awkward as they have been told not to have anything to do with us.
The decision to leave didn’t feel brave at the time, I was constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for god to ‘smite’ me for daring to leave!
Also Ive just been sent this from a sibling who has recently left. I’ve cut this snippet from a huge document written by their leader on what is allowed in regards to relationships. It’s a disgusting document and this bit is awful:
F79BABC7-A3A1-49AC-A395-C32D2E9D356C.jpeg

the document starts off by saying that people who are not ‘enlightened’ by the Holy Spirit, may not understand the document and may take it in the wrong way.
bleeping idiots. Trying to minimise any negativity by saying ‘ah well, you don’t understand cos you are not enlightened’ while going on to say some HUGLY discriminatory things.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
From some literature published by the cult I grew up in. I have not a clue what the vending exercise is! FFS
61BD0F6E-EF93-4392-A2A8-0E73A9F0B6EC.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Not exactly a cult but cult like - the program on Netflix. I binged it today, very interesting and awfully sad for all the children who now live with CPTSD from there time in it.

Reactions: 2
Not exactly a cult but cult like - the program on Netflix. I binged it today, very interesting and awfully sad for all the children who now live with CPTSD from there time in it.
Ooo yes I watched a bit of that. Can’t believe it happened so recently (2005 is recently to me!)

Reactions: 3
Thank you for the rec! Has anyone else had issues with playing it on Netflix? Other shows are working fine and I've reset it all etc. so bizarre!

Reactions: 1