Cruising

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been on nearly thirty cruises. Royal Caribbean are OK for the younger ones, but we now prefer Celebrity or Holland America. I can't fault cruising as we love waking up every day at different ports. Enjoy the food and entertainment. So much to see and do, but I also enjoy reading on my balcony with a drink or watching the pier runners 😂

We were cruising the Panama Canal this time last year with not a care in the world. And should be cruising around the Caribbean right now but Covid had other ideas!

Reactions: 4
Royal Caribbean seem to be slowly giving up on Southampton I think, even before covid there was a lot less choices the past couple of years to the years before.
They've went down from 2 ships to 1 ship in favour of short Caribbean cruises (which appears to be quite a lucrative market). The ship they have in Southampton (Anthem) is a newer, larger one (though actually my least favourite) so they're probably not giving up but more that they're less invested now. I'm gutted that they sent the other ship (Independence) to the Caribbean, she was great and really popular in the UK so a baffling decision.

Reactions: 3
I absolutely love cruising, value for money for seeing different cities, prefer Royal Caribbean to P&O but unfortunately they don’t do many out of Southampton (and yes I’m lazy and don’t like fly cruises)

I absolutely love cruising, value for money for seeing different cities, prefer Royal Caribbean to P&O but unfortunately they don’t do many out of Southampton (and yes I’m lazy and don’t like fly cruises)
Try Celebrity, the RCI sister company, and if you ask them to transfer your Captains Club points then you'll get the benefits. They go from Southampton.

Try Celebrity, the RCI sister company, and if you ask them to transfer your Captains Club points then you'll get the benefits. They go from Southampton.
I’ll have a look! I really should look into fly-cruises as I am never a big fan of the 2/3 sea days from Southampton at the start or end of the trip 🙈

Reactions: 1
I’ve been on quite a few, and wrote a book that was set on a cruise ship so that involved a few research trips. My husband only likes Holland America Line so that’s what we predominantly sail if we are together but I’ll venture to Celebrity every so often. We have celebrity to Galapagos booked for 2023 which should be amazing, and a Holland America inaugural cruise on their new ship booked for this year but I doubt that one will happen now 🙁 I find cruises a good compromise for my husband and I, as I like exploring places but he just likes to chill, so port days are my thing and sea days are his. I’ve been back at a later date for a more in-depth visit to a lot of the countries I’ve visited on a cruise, after enjoying a place and wanting to see more. Plus I love ships and the whole engineering side of things

Reactions: 7
I'd like to try but from what I've seen on photos of friends who have been and enjoyed, is that they seem to be allocated a table at meal times and must stick to that. Or that its a shirt and tie and posh frock for evening dinner. Not that I would turn up in t-shirt and shorts. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also the husband has a chronic fear of heights and I doubt he'd cope with being on deck. Does anyone have any input on this?

I'd like to try but from what I've seen on photos of friends who have been and enjoyed, is that they seem to be allocated a table at meal times and must stick to that. Or that its a shirt and tie and posh frock for evening dinner. Not that I would turn up in t-shirt and shorts. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also the husband has a chronic fear of heights and I doubt he'd cope with being on deck. Does anyone have any input on this?
I can’t help on the heights thing, you are high up I can’t deny that!

Dinner wise- in the main restaurant you get a choice when you book, usually 2 set dinner times (so like the 6.30 sitting or the 8.30 sitting). If you choose the set times you’ll get the same table each night. Which is nice as you can build rapport with your table neighbours etc. But we don’t want to be pinned down to the same time every day.
So we tend to go for the third option of ‘my time dining’ where you book like a normal restaurant once you are onboard and then you have different tables each time.

That’s only for the main dining room though, the buffet restaurant is go whenever you want and there are usually other places too (like a sandwich snack cafe, pizza place (which are drop in) and the speciality restaurants like sushi, steakhouse etc (which are bookable onboard).

Reactions: 2
So...

Meal times are dependent on your package/ship. Some offer set times/tables, others offer more flexibility. My husband and I always choose to eat by ourselves, we are antisocial and our holidays are time together, not getting to know other people.

Formals are a very personal preference, but you don't have to take part. My husband and I will take outfits, and see how we feel, there's normally 3-4 on a 2 week cruise. If you don't want to dress up, then you can eat in the buffet. P&O won't let you in some bars on formal nights if your not in 'black tie', but personally it's a loose term. Men don't need a Tux, (suit with jacket and tie is enough) women can just wear something that you'd wear to a nice restaurant (doesn't need to be a ballgown!)
On a 'normal' night I'd just wear something simple, even just black skinnies and a nice top.

Heights is a funny one, I'm not scared of them, do maybe my view won't be accurate. But you don't feel 'high' on deck, unless you look over the railing. It's just like a floating hotel. Would he feel weird on a rooftop pool or bar in a hotel?

Reactions: 2
Yes he would, we were in a high rise building in London and got seated near the window which I thought was great until I looked at him. He couldn't approach the table. We had to move. Yes I can see, cruising isn't going to be for us. Thanks for the replies.

Yes he would, we were in a high rise building in London and got seated near the window which I thought was great until I looked at him. He couldn't approach the table. We had to move. Yes I can see, cruising isn't going to be for us. Thanks for the replies.
Oh bless him! Then nope, don't bother! 😁

• Haha
As much as I love cruising, this video outlining all of the rules puts me off big time for the foreseeable future.

The main points made:
- All guests & crew must wear a 'contact tracelet' throughout the entire cruise except for when in stateroom.
- No available drinking taps on ship.
- Limited tables in dining venues (possible reservations though unclear).
- 5 people per hot tub/jacuzzi and 15 min time limit.
- Guests should remain in 'bubbles' with those from their respective party.
- Temperature checks at all onboard venues.
- Queues outside venues if over limit of people allowed in.
- Face coverings required around all areas of ship except bars.
- Guests not allowed to consume beverages outside of bars and restaurants.
- Limited seating in theatre.
- No physical menus in dining venues.
- Gym sessions must be pre booked.
- Social distancing: regardless of whether or not you are in their 'bubble', everyone must maintain 1m distancing from each other.
- All guests required to have negative COVID test prior to cruising.
- Health questionnaire to be taken and checked by staff prior to boarding. If not 'passed', you cannot board.

They can't actually expect people to pay thousands of pounds/dollars for this? Why would you voluntarily go somewhere which potentially has more restrictions than your own home country?

As much as I love cruising, this video outlining all of the rules puts me off big time for the foreseeable future.

The main points made:
- All guests & crew must wear a 'contact tracelet' throughout the entire cruise except for when in stateroom.
- Social distancing: regardless of whether or not you are in their 'bubble', everyone must maintain 1m distancing from each other.
- Health questionnaire to be taken and checked by staff prior to boarding. If not 'passed', you cannot board.

They can't actually expect people to pay thousands of pounds/dollars for this? Why would you voluntarily go somewhere which potentially has more restrictions than your own home country?
I like most of these, I don’t want to be anywhere near others guests 😂

• Haha

The main points made:

Doesn't sound much of a holiday to me. Just read these rules out to OH and he's said we'll cancel our summer river cruise.

I was extremely anti cruising pre 2018... the thought of being stuck on a ship and in the middle of nowhere terrified me. However my husband convinced me to sail on a Royal Caribbean ship around the Eastern Caribbean and it was genuinely the best holiday I have EVER had. I would cruise for every holiday for the remainder of my life (obviously excluding Covid related issues!!); it was just truly incredible.
I would love to go on a cruise again too.

I have only been on one cruise, but it was the best holiday I have ever had. A friend treated me to this fantastic trip around the Adriatic with Royal Caribbean on the Voyager of the Seas.

I was a bit skeptical of the holiday at first, had pre-conceived ideas about it, but by the end of the holiday, I wanted to go on another cruise. He booked a suite and we each had our own rooms. It was a 5 star cruise and I will never forget his generosity and how special he made it for me.

I loved the fact that even though there were a few thousand people on board, there were quiet little spots on the ship that you could just have some time to yourself. It was an amazing holiday.

Last edited:
Only been on one but absolutely loved it. I was definitely a sceptic before, but am a definite convert now.

I loved the fact that even though there were a few thousand people on board, there were quiet little spots on the ship that you could just have some time to yourself. It was an amazing holiday.
Definitely this! My husband and I are pretty antisocial and we love sitting in one of the top deck bars during the day. They are closed, so no staff, so we get drinks elsewhere, but it's so nice to be away from the crowds around the pool.

100% cruise lover! We are looking at a cruise from Antarctica, which blows my mind! Any reviews if anyone has done one! Obvs like to do the Artic cruise too and a warm destination also! Our Cruise from Dubai, through the Suez canal ending up in Rome got cancelled last year 😭