Cruising

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Doesn't sound much of a holiday to me. Just read these rules out to OH and he's said we'll cancel our summer river cruise.
We’ve got a P&O cruise booked for June that I’m hoping they’ll cancel so we can get our deposit back... but no with the rules and the quarantine hotels I’ve got no desire to be going away in June!

We’ve got a P&O cruise booked for June that I’m hoping they’ll cancel so we can get our deposit back... but no with the rules and the quarantine hotels I’ve got no desire to be going away in June!
I don't blame you at all. I think you'll need to wait until the final balance is due (maybe around March) and hope it's cancelled. Unless they'll let you lift and shift your cruise into 2022 or 2023.

Reactions: 1
I don't blame you at all. I think you'll need to wait until the final balance is due (maybe around March) and hope it's cancelled. Unless they'll let you lift and shift your cruise into 2022 or 2023.
So P&O have been really good throughout actually - this was meant to be our honeymoon cruise last October (wedding didn’t happen either!) and they’ve let everyone move their cruise to higher or lower value whenever in the future which is great customer service, can’t fault them. We’ve just gone off the idea and need the money more than we need the idea of a holiday tbh 😂

Reactions: 2
Hope it's ok to revive this thread!

Any got reccomendations on where to begin looking for a first ever cruise for a 70 year old woman, with her 27 year old daughter only?
it's been my mums dream to go on a cruise, we've been joking about it for years and I'd love to treat her!

Potentially next year or the year after, but I'm so overwhelmed looking, no idea where to really start!

Preferrably one that leaves and arrives back into the UK, and as economical as possible (but I have no frame of reference yet!), and probably mostly at sea sort of days. Port visits are cool, but she'd enjoy those less than being on the ship itself

Hope it's ok to revive this thread!

Any got reccomendations on where to begin looking for a first ever cruise for a 70 year old woman, with her 27 year old daughter only?
it's been my mums dream to go on a cruise, we've been joking about it for years and I'd love to treat her!

Potentially next year or the year after, but I'm so overwhelmed looking, no idea where to really start!

Preferrably one that leaves and arrives back into the UK, and as economical as possible (but I have no frame of reference yet!), and probably mostly at sea sort of days. Port visits are cool, but she'd enjoy those less than being on the ship itself
Would she like black tie nights and a chance to dress up? Or is she quite casual and hates that idea?

Hot weather or not bothered?

Do you drink much alcohol?

P&O sail from Southampton.
Marella (Thompson) sail from Newcastle.
So consider how easily you can get to those places and car parking as that adds onto the price. P&O definitely do bus pick ups across the country, not sure about Marella.

I usually work on the basis of £100pppd for an inside cabin and £140pppd for a balcony.

Oh and don't forget, you don't have to get off at the port. You can stay onboard, although there's less going on, it's nice when there's less people around

@DigiDuino you've already made a good start deciding what suits your lives best. Thomson are a cheaper option, but your 27 year old will love the energetic feel. P&O are a better choice though taking into consideration a 70 year old will be going. Their food and entertainment is great, and their itineraries don't usually call into as many ports.

Perhaps a Canaries cruise may suit your family as there are two or three days sailing before reaching land. The Canaries suit all age groups too. As its much quieter on board while others go on excursions then a good tip would be to book into the Spa as treatments are usually discounted at these times.

So then all you need to do is to decide when you'd like to travel. I'd advise waiting until next year. At least the Canaries are good to visit all year round. The Med is steeped in history, but if you're not interested in going ashore that wouldn't bother you.

You can dress up or down as much as you wish. This is your holiday so you want to feel comfortable. Good luck.

My sisinlaw and husband are going on Silver Seas cruise to Europe next year,they have been on S S cruises before,ultimate luxury.

Would she like black tie nights and a chance to dress up? Or is she quite casual and hates that idea?

Hot weather or not bothered?

Do you drink much alcohol?

Marella (Thompson) sail from Newcastle.
- Maybe once while we're there but not overly!
- Not really hot, neither of us can handle heat haha
- No, not a big deal to us at all!

Thanks I'll look into those! The TUI/Marella site are being a bit funny and I can't see and cruises from the UK right now?

@DigiDuino you've already made a good start deciding what suits your lives best. Thomson are a cheaper option, but your 27 year old will love the energetic feel. P&O are a better choice though taking into consideration a 70 year old will be going. Their food and entertainment is great, and their itineraries don't usually call into as many ports.

Perhaps a Canaries cruise may suit your family as there are two or three days sailing before reaching land. The Canaries suit all age groups too. As its much quieter on board while others go on excursions then a good tip would be to book into the Spa as treatments are usually discounted at these times.

So then all you need to do is to decide when you'd like to travel. I'd advise waiting until next year. At least the Canaries are good to visit all year round. The Med is steeped in history, but if you're not interested in going ashore that wouldn't bother you.

You can dress up or down as much as you wish. This is your holiday so you want to feel comfortable. Good luck.

Thank you! P&O are looking pretty good so far, plenty to do on board and reasonable pricing.

I'll look at Canaries cruises as well, those do sound really nice!

Do you (or @Saddlesoap) have any advice regarding inside/oceanview rooms? When the difference isn't much I think I'll pay the extra for the window - on Disney Cruise Lines the difference isa bout £500 but P&O etc have a more reasonable sort of difference

Definitely waiting until next year! Not sure when to book incase things change again with covid but I'm looking into all the options now

I love cruising! I did my first in 2011 and have done 10 since. I've done most of the Med, Adriatic and Greece, Norway and most recently the Caribbean, which was my my favourite. We came back from that one in March 2020 straight into lockdown. We didn't know our at the time but Covid was on the ship and the people who stayed on board were stranded for over a week.

We've got one booked for Jamaica, Cuba and central America for my birthday in February but I don't think it'll go.

It's my favourite way to travel, I love waking up in a different place every day. You do only get to see a snapshot of the place but we cram a lot in and do some amazing excursions. We've also been back to a couple of places for a land holiday based on how much we enjoyed it on the cruise. We did a cruise with a hotel stay in Majorca once and we found we just missed being on the ship!

Reactions: 2

Thanks I'll look into those! The TUI/Marella site are being a bit funny and I can't see and cruises from the UK right now?

Thank you! P&O are looking pretty good so far, plenty to do on board and reasonable pricing.

Do you (or @Saddlesoap) have any advice regarding inside/oceanview rooms? When the difference isn't much I think I'll pay the extra for the window - on Disney Cruise Lines the difference isa bout £500 but P&O etc have a more reasonable sort of difference

Definitely waiting until next year! Not sure when to book incase things change again with covid but I'm looking into all the options now
Depends how long you want to go for as well. Canaries will be 2 weeks, Fjords will be a week.

Personally I'd recommend Fjords on P&O in a balcony cabin.

We've only ever had inside cabins. However, I would only book a balcony now. In a Covid world I'm more wary of being stuck in your cabin
Inside cabins have no daylight at all, which is lovely for sleeping, but you never know what the weather is like 😂

Marella are only going out of the UK this year for their UK Seacations. From October this year they are for cruise only from Palma or Corfu, and next year also from Dubrovnik.

In the past they have done Newcastle to the fjords/Baltics but this only seems to happen every few years.

Have a look at this one.

Saver price is £121pppn

That one looks lovely thank you! The balcony isn't that much more really, seems worth it!

Plus they do a free coach which would save a load, can't quite figure out if that's included from everywhere or just like London? Either way pretty good, but we are coming from Scotland so maybe have to get further south first.

Last edited:
That one looks lovely thank you! The balcony isn't that much more really, seems worth it!

Plus they do a free coach which would save a load, can't quite figure out if that's included from everywhere or just like London? Either way pretty good, but we are coming from Scotland so maybe have to get further south first.
You won't get coach transfer on the Saver price, just the Select price, so I think it will be nearer £160pppn

The transfers are definitely across the country though. We are in Cumbria and my uncle gets on at Carlisle I think.
It's a lonnnnng drive otherwise. Took us 8 hours to get home once. I was so fed up. Might be worth checking flights to Southampton airport depending on how close you are to an airport. x

Reviving this thread in the hope somebody has experience cruising with children!
We’re hoping to do a cruise in May or August 2025 as a family of 4 (a 2 yo and a 5 yo), ideally sailing the Caribbean. Either a longer cruise, or a cruise and stay. My question is where’s best to search for flight inclusive deals? Everywhere we look seems to be cruise only and we’d rather book a package. And to also see family prices? We previously have booked with Virgin and they were great - the price included flights, transfers/car hire, hotel (if a stay and cruise) and cruise, but they don’t seem to offer other cruise lines now they’ve launched their own.

Reviving this thread in the hope somebody has experience cruising with children!
We’re hoping to do a cruise in May or August 2025 as a family of 4 (a 2 yo and a 5 yo), ideally sailing the Caribbean. Either a longer cruise, or a cruise and stay. My question is where’s best to search for flight inclusive deals? Everywhere we look seems to be cruise only and we’d rather book a package. And to also see family prices? We previously have booked with Virgin and they were great - the price included flights, transfers/car hire, hotel (if a stay and cruise) and cruise, but they don’t seem to offer other cruise lines now they’ve launched their own.
We cruise with Royal and they do a fly and cruise package. You may have to ring them but we book our long haul flights with them as we just feel more comfortable if anything was to go wrong they are aware. But long haul we aim to arrive the night before. Norwegian also do package deals!

Have a look at TUI/Marella cruises as they do fly and cruise. Their cruises are all inclusive. I’ve been on 3 Marella cruises and are very good.

Have a look at TUI/Marella cruises as they do fly and cruise. Their cruises are all inclusive. I’ve been on 3 Marella cruises and are very good.
Another vote for Marella here, I don't have kids but have been on lots of cruises with them where there have been kids on board. It's not like the big cruise lines with water parks and funfairs but they have kids clubs, pool, entertainment etc. Kids always seem happy. We go with them a lot as there are no hidden costs and flights are included. If the flight is late, the ship won't go without you!

I do Marella cruises as well - but their Caribbean season is our winter, the ships are in the Med for the months you are suggesting. They will have cruise & stay.