Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is my progress so far at the ' As we go stripey'. I had a bit of a fail with the 'Catherine Wheel' section. I just couldn't get it right. It looked right but I somehow ended up with to many stitches, so when I went back to a more simple stitch on row below I could not get the numbers right again.

Anyway, after 3 days/5 hours of trying to get that bit right I gave up and removed it and did some rows on pretty colours instead. Then I got to the star stitch row and I didnt like how they looked, so I replaced them with Suzette stitche.

So the blanket isn't really following the pattern anymore, but I thought I will try and stick to it where I can, and stick to the principle of changing colour and stitch type each row
Looking good. I need to try some different crochet stitches as I stick to the basics but now I'm bored. Maybe doing a blanket like this where you change stitch each row is a good idea, to try new stitches.
---
Guess who merrily stitched half a fairly large cross stitch pattern before noticing they had the fabric in the wrong orientation?

I found a website tutorial about joining pieces of aida together, but I experimented with scraps and it looked atrocious.
I started unpicking it (hence all the bits) but can't be arsed.
I've bought new aida (hence it being all creased where I shoved it in my bag so I could colour match).

Can't believe I did this! Think it's because I'm having to use a large rectangular frame and it's more comfortable to hold it a certain way, but didn't take this into account before starting.

I'm doing this pattern for a neighbour, it's not even one I particularly like. Otherwise I'd abandon it lol.
oh no, how long did it take to do that bit so far? Your stitching is really neat.

Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!
I’ve used Wool and the Gang as a beginner, but I bought the kit on Black Friday because as you say, they’re expensive! Wool and the Gang have 20% kits with the code APRIL20 if you do decide to go ahead!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve used Wool and the Gang as a beginner, but I bought the kit on Black Friday because as you say, they’re expensive! Wool and the Gang have 20% kits with the code APRIL20 if you do decide to go ahead!
Oh thank you, that’s a good discount! I’m very tempted but it is a big cost for something I’m not sure I’ll stick with haha

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has used wool and gang or we are knitters kits and think they are worth it for a pretty much complete beginner knitter? There’s a couple of lovely cardigan kits on both sites that I would like to try but they are very expensive! I have knitted in the past but not for about 10 years and never more than a scarf. I have also just taken up sewing so I’m not sure if I should get another hobby 😂 thank you!
i follow leena norms on youtube - not for the knitting or sewing content specifically but do really enjoy those videos - and she uses lauren aston a lot as a beginner. they have kits and patterns / yarn seperately too but her final knits always look lovely!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i follow leena norms on youtube - not for the knitting or sewing content specifically but do really enjoy those videos - and she uses lauren aston a lot as a beginner. they have kits and patterns / yarn seperately too but her final knits always look lovely!

As a beginner (tit) knitter I deffo recommend the Lauren Aston ones! Instructions are really clear and easy to follow - I managed to knit her babygrow pattern grow as one of my first knits! Also recommend www.thatcraftystitch.co.uk for super easy beginner kits!

Reactions: 4
Thank you so much for the reccomendations! I will definitely look at Lauren Aston - someone I follow knitted one of her cardigans and it was lovey but she is a much better knitter than me so it’s good to know beginners can use her kits too!

If you are beginning any craft, do not beat yourself up If it takes time to get the results you want. Some people are amazing from the get go, others take more time.

When I first started I saw someone on reddit say something I found incredibly helpful, you don't have to be good at your hobbies, you just have to enjoy doing them. I try and remember this when I am getting annoyed at myself for the way my work looks ( it doesn't always work, the pattern nearly had me crying last week until I realised how silly I was being and put it away for the night)

I have been crocheting for just under 2 years. Each time I finish something I think it the peak of what I can do, and then the next thing blows it out of the water. I am proud of how far I have came from my first scrappy and uneven Granny squares, but I have still far to go on a journey that might take years but that is okay.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
If you are beginning any craft, do not beat yourself up If it takes time to get the results you want. Some people are amazing from the get go, others take more time.

When I first started I saw someone on reddit say something I found incredibly helpful, you don't have to be good at your hobbies, you just have to enjoy doing them. I try and remember this when I am getting annoyed at myself for the way my work looks ( it doesn't always work, the pattern nearly had me crying last week until I realised how silly I was being and put it away for the night)

I have been crocheting for just under 2 years. Each time I finish something I think it the peak of what I can do, and then the next thing blows it out of the water. I am proud of how far I have came from my first scrappy and uneven Granny squares, but I have still far to go on a journey that might take years but that is okay.

I’m really experienced in crochet, take it from me, go so slow on your journey, I’m currently on a crochet break because I’m just really bored with it atm.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone do booknooks? I've recently gotten into them an wondering if anyone does them what type of glue you all use, am using a type of runny glue but it's quite stringy with quite a large nozzle an most things I need to build are tiny

I don't, but maybe look at the glue people use for making miniatures, as that would need to have a small nozzle and not be drippy ( although some glues are only for certain materials such as plastic so would have to check it was suitable for what you are making)

I don't, but maybe look at the glue people use for making miniatures, as that would need to have a small nozzle and not be drippy ( although some glues are only for certain materials such as plastic so would have to check it was suitable for what you are making)
Are you meaning the models, I had looked at those ones but mostly all of them said they weren't any good for paper/cardboard which unfortunately a lot of the little miniature things are made off, the downside to the booknooks is it's a mixture of paper, cardboard, wood, plastic, metal so it's a struggle trying to find a glue that will cover it all that's also a tiny nozzle an isn't stringy 😫