Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

DigiDuino

Yes, as far as I've seen all private dentists are applying large PPE surcharges now, NHS ones are not supposed to but some seem to be.

That's if you can actually find an NHS dentist that's even open at all, none of them are doing routine stuff like check ups yet, just emergency stuff where the patient is in actual pain

View attachment 244510
Oh dear I’ve got an appointment tomorrow as well 🙄! Bit of an emergency but I’m not in pain so I was surprised they even offered me an appointment

hope they don’t attempt to hit me with this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

xfeelingthis

I know, the hairdresser situation was baffling. She had the mask / vizer on. Use a disposable gown, has purchased the hand sanitiser machine and a fancy machine thing that sucks up the hair from the floor. She has also been unable to rent out the second chair due to the 2M rule. She sent all clients a video of the changes made and the expectation from them on arrival etc and has had to reduce her daily number to allow for cleaning in between. To think she hasn't added any extra on is strange.
Absolute fair play to her but I’m sure everyone would be happy to pay a bit extra for all these changes?! Poor girl will be taking a big financial hit!

Mustard

VIP Member
I need a trip to the dental hygienist and the different surgeries round here used to charge different prices so will have a ring round to see what the prices are now. All separate from seeing the dentist. What do others pay?

xfeelingthis

Thankfully my benefits cover the dentist cost 100% - they are way more expensive than UK ones, I think. For example, seeing the dentist which includes Xrays (which is once a year), and then having the cleaning done would cost upwards of $800 without benefits, sometimes close to $900. We are very lucky to have 100% coverage, many people do not even have 50%. My dentist is not charging extra for PPE which is good of them.
Hahaha yeah everytime I’m on holiday in the States or meet Americans or Canadians and they find out I’m a dentist they immediately think I’m a LOT wealthier than I actually am... a lot of money to be made overseas! I think that maybe people in the US are more accepting of dentistry being expensive because you have to pay for all healthcare in general, while here the NHS is “free” (you pay for it in your tax but it’s free at point of service) so people don’t realise how much a visit to the doctor or a blood test etc would actually cost if you had to pay it outright... then we’re like £80 for an NHS root canal and people balk at the fee but it really makes almost no profit.

To stick to the topic, only things I’ve really come across being more are dentistry as above, hairdressers and I’ve seen some beauticians charging a little bit extra. I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in my shopping but then I’ve switched to Aldi and feel like it’s cheap as chips!

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
Yeah I think the private practices who do charge monthly plans maybe do have a bit of a cheek if they are keeping the full monthly fee after being closed but then still try to charge a lot extra... I don’t imagine patients being too happy?! I think the large corporate chains who’ve kept the monthly fees should manage to absorb the cost but who knows!

RE hairdresser, I’d be a bit suspect myself if not charging anything extra at all... obviously that sounds good on the face of it but I think most are charging more because they’re needing to have in less clients at the time, more time in between them so a shorter turnaround... so if people are able to charge their usual prices it’s either out of sheer goodwill (which is lovely and to be commended) or because they aren’t actually doing anything differently which is potentially a concern? Obviously though I don’t know the layout etc of your hairdresser salon though! But I know my old hairdresser is charging a bit extra because she’s leaving seats empty to socially distance.
I know, the hairdresser situation was baffling. She had the mask / vizer on. Use a disposable gown, has purchased the hand sanitiser machine and a fancy machine thing that sucks up the hair from the floor. She has also been unable to rent out the second chair due to the 2M rule. She sent all clients a video of the changes made and the expectation from them on arrival etc and has had to reduce her daily number to allow for cleaning in between. To think she hasn't added any extra on is strange.

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I need a trip to the dental hygienist and the different surgeries round here used to charge different prices so will have a ring round to see what the prices are now. All separate from seeing the dentist. What do others pay?
I see a private dentist but I paid £41.00 in august for a hygiene appointment. A 30 min check up is £30. I have a lot of anxiety so could go to someone cheaper, but I really liked my dentist and the staff are super friendly too .

My mother paid £50 in London, but switched to another practice an hour away who charged £35. Her dentist is only open now for emergency cases.

xfeelingthis

I totally get that all. Although I do think it's illogical to treat every patient as if they are at high risk when we now know that those 70+ with health conditions are at risk and the vast majority are not likely to be affected.

Would make sense for most dentists to operate normally and other practices just treat high risk people. But that's very difficult to introduce and every private surgery would want to be the ones that operate normally. I worry about the long term dental health of the nation as it was already pretty bad before.
I totally agree. As far as I know there are almost no other countries imposing these restrictions in dentistry. The risk is so so minimal, but it is a risk. It’s not worth our registration to not adhere to the protocols etc - one of our health boards literally told dentists that if they were found to be in breach of the rules given they would report the dentists to the dental council AND to the police because it’s a public health concern 🙈

I’ve checked and our practice isn’t charging NHS patients, only Private.

£7 non aerosol, £25 is it is an aerosol generating appointment. £21 extra isn’t too bad but some of these prices quoted are obscene. May people wouldn’t afford a check up until this is over ☹

It’s a private healthcare surgery and their website states that the Government have made extra allowances to cover the cost - why are some NHS practices charging these high amounts?

Or is private healthcare sourcing from Wish and Shein? 🤔

Edited to add - Why is the word B U P A not allowed? 😂
I’m in Scotland so us NHS practices are being provided with (a very limited amount) of PPE. So we can’t and won’t charge a surcharge on the NHS patients. I can’t speak for England, things run very differently down south. Incidentally, lots of the masks we’ve been given are past their expiry date - health board etc continue to tell us they’ve been revalidated and are fit for use, actual manufacturers of said masks say that there isn’t a way to revalidate them and they may be unsafe for us to wear, health board basically say it’s tough and if you don’t want them source your own and pay for them - couldn’t make it up. If we got caught using materials that were 2 months out of date we’d be hung out to dry but some given masks that expired in like 2012. You couldn’t make it up 😂😂

I see a private dentist but I paid £41.00 in august for a hygiene appointment. A 30 min check up is £30. I have a lot of anxiety so could go to someone cheaper, but I really liked my dentist and the staff are super friendly too .

My mother paid £50 in London, but switched to another practice an hour away who charged £35. Her dentist is only open now for emergency cases.
I think everything in life is more expensive in London! That’s so lovely you’ve found a dentist and practice you like, it makes such a difference if you can relax and trust the staff :) And I think a £30 private exam is pretty reasonable compared to some others!

• Wow

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I've heard of dentists that are now applying a £20 - £40 ppe surcharge, but £80 is the worst yet. Is that per appointment or per course of treatment?

Ridiculous, the UK is going to have such bad teeth for decades to come.
What the ...?! That's quite a surcharge! Are you saying that on top of the usual check up price you have to pay another 20-40?!

Chablis1

VIP Member
Wow. You are lucky. Lol. My hairdresser has never included the cut and blow-dry with highlights. It is separate and totals close to $300+ and that isn't with a tip - tips are a big deal here.

Thankfully my benefits cover the dentist cost 100% - they are way more expensive than UK ones, I think. For example, seeing the dentist which includes Xrays (which is once a year), and then having the cleaning done would cost upwards of $800 without benefits, sometimes close to $900. We are very lucky to have 100% coverage, many people do not even have 50%. My dentist is not charging extra for PPE which is good of them.
Goodness! I’ll still be going to the hair salon, obviously. But, I must admit it was quite a surprise!

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
It will be interesting to see what the typical commercial Christmas confectionary and trimmings cost this year. Usually the price of a tin of Celebrations or Quality Street chocolates is a topic of conversation. I haven’t seen any yet.
Oooh I remember seeing the celebrations tub as low as £4 at Tesco last year. They are still at this price now:

My favorite chocolates are Ferrero rochers which were down to £10 at Morrisions for 48 last year. I once paid £14 as a gift for someone at Christmas time 2 years before with delivery.

Poptart

VIP Member
My cut and colour has gone up £6 since salons reopened.
I've to call my dentist back as they left a message to re book our check ups that were due during lockdown. It's a private practice so I'll see if the cost for my check up goes up. Kids are free but I guess now there might be a PPE charge from reading here 🤷

Mustard

VIP Member
FYI - Iceland’s own butter is £1.49 which is a very competitive price. Their hummus is just £1.

xfeelingthis

You can only do what you can, hats off to you. Whilst I was waiting the phone was constantly ringing. Where there are few/no check ups available people are waiting and then the fillings and worse develop. My dentist have actually been very good with patients that were already registered. I really
Feel for people that aren’t able to be seen
Me too, I feel for people, dental problems aren’t fun even if they aren’t necessarily painful! We’ve been doing our best to help non registered patients where we can but we’re a very busy practice so if we’ve hit our quota we can’t do much :(

ChloChlo

VIP Member
The basics such as milk, bread, eggs, toilet roll have significantly risen in my local Co-Op. Even more so in the local corner shop to the point I cannot shop there now as it is far more expensive than it was.

I have noticed in the past few months my usual tobacco has risen by around £1.50.

My local hairdresser has signs out stating due to Covid she has added an extra 20% on all her services. However she still offers use of her sunbeds for the usual price.

ChloChlo

VIP Member
Hard to believe anyone uses sunbeds now.
I had a blast. But it is very at your own peril as she doesn't tend to it anymore at all, it straight up takes pound coins, she just leaves the cleaning stuff out for it and reminds all customers now that they are solely responsible for cleaning it before and after.