Covid Price Increases

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else noticed huge increases in some places?

The dentist now has an £80 covid supplement fee
Swimming was £4.80 and now £8! Limited to 50 minutes and you have to book in advance.

Hairdressers you understand the small additional fee, others seem to have added huge amounts on.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Basics like butter and some produce have almost doubled here! I get that a lot of that isn't local and needs to be shipped so people have extra costs and steps for sanitizing and such, but it's pretty crazy given how many people have been furloughed or lost their jobs, and prices for essentials are going up. Economy is pretty weak as well so I have no idea how sustainable this will be. Not to mention, our cases have crept back up to May/June levels so we may enter lockdown again, meaning many people will stop earning a wage.

Reactions: 6
Yep, I've noticed our weekly shop has rocketted in price. Picked up some bath bubbles usually £1 now cost £1:20. Fruit and veg has increased too.

Only food not increased is fresh meat from the local farm shop.

Reactions: 3
Yes absolutely. There's quite a few things that I buy repeatedly on Amazon for work, and they make it very easy to click back and see earlier orders for the same items, and everything costs quite a lot more than a year ago.

• Heart

Swimming was £4.80 and now £8! Limited to 50 minutes and you have to book in advance.

Hairdressers you understand the small additional fee, others seem to have added huge amounts on.
Yes, I have! Even my hairdresser - you’d have highlights done and the cut and blow dry would be included in the price. Not anymore. You have to pay extra.

• Wow
Reactions: 2

I've heard of dentists that are now applying a £20 - £40 ppe surcharge, but £80 is the worst yet. Is that per appointment or per course of treatment?

Ridiculous, the UK is going to have such bad teeth for decades to come.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I've heard of dentists that are now applying a £20 - £40 ppe surcharge, but £80 is the worst yet. Is that per appointment or per course of treatment?

Ridiculous, the UK is going to have such bad teeth for decades to come.
What the ...?! That's quite a surcharge! Are you saying that on top of the usual check up price you have to pay another 20-40?!

What the ...?! That's quite a surcharge! Are you saying that on top of the usual check up price you have to pay another 20-40?!
Yes, as far as I've seen all private dentists are applying large PPE surcharges now, NHS ones are not supposed to but some seem to be.

That's if you can actually find an NHS dentist that's even open at all, none of them are doing routine stuff like check ups yet, just emergency stuff where the patient is in actual pain

1600282896779.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Yes, as far as I've seen all private dentists are applying large PPE surcharges now, NHS ones are not supposed to but some seem to be.

That's if you can actually find an NHS dentist that's even open at all, none of them are doing routine stuff like check ups yet, just emergency stuff where the patient is in actual pain
I think I will forgo my yearly check this year and keep brushing 😬

Reactions: 1

View attachment 244510
Oh dear I’ve got an appointment tomorrow as well 🙄! Bit of an emergency but I’m not in pain so I was surprised they even offered me an appointment

hope they don’t attempt to hit me with this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
The dentist PPE surcharge won’t affect me as there’s an extreme shortage of dentists in my area, none have been accepting new patients for well over a year and I’ve been on “3 month waiting list”s for 18 months now... 😬

I noticed a few items in shops are getting more expensive. It’s very concerning, coupled with Brexit things could end up really bad here

PPE appears to be provided by the NHS to dentists in Scotland interestingly!

I did notice hand gel, masks etc were highly inflated a couple of months ago but that seems to be back down where I am?

40 quid for PPE per patient though, that's extortionate! 5 or 10 pounds maybe, but 40?!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
You could easily buy a simple box of 50 surgical masks from Medisave for only £2.99 in feb last year. When I was back in London I saw a single box of the same quantity being sold for £34.00 from a high street store. Then there's usually also the gloves too and the plastic aprons. Some of the doctors at my hospital also wear plastic visors on top- so I can imagine how it can add up. The N95 masks are even more pricier close to £2 each. £40 does seem excessive but you also have a dental nurse too for every patient. I've never seen a dentist on her own.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I dread to think how much my Dentist will surcharge, it's not NHS so it's going to be shitloads.

40 quid for PPE per patient though, that's extortionate! 5 or 10 pounds maybe, but 40?!
£120 for my family - duck that, I’ll take some with me that they can wear. Mine always wore PPE anyway, disposable gloves, gown and mask. She also wore a visor.

Seriously, it can’t cost that much? 😡 All NHS dentists here are attached to a private surgery so feeling rather cynical.

Reactions: 4
It’s not just retail price that’s gone up. I’m a florist and prices are hideous at the moment! Something I’d usually buy for 50p is now more than double cost! That has a huge knock on effect on the retail price. That 50p stem would usually retail at £1.50, but now would be £3 if I were to work on a standard markup of x3. It’s a nightmare! Add in a post Brexit import surcharge and I’ll be out of business. Not fun times 😫

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The basics such as milk, bread, eggs, toilet roll have significantly risen in my local Co-Op. Even more so in the local corner shop to the point I cannot shop there now as it is far more expensive than it was.

I have noticed in the past few months my usual tobacco has risen by around £1.50.

My local hairdresser has signs out stating due to Covid she has added an extra 20% on all her services. However she still offers use of her sunbeds for the usual price.