Covid Price Increases

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hard to believe anyone uses sunbeds now.

I do 🙈 The customer has to clean it and the salon then cleans it again before the next customer.

My Hairdresser hasn’t increased prices and still offers a local discount of 20%!

I do 🙈 The customer has to clean it and the salon then cleans it again before the next customer.

My Hairdresser hasn’t increased prices and still offers a local discount of 20%!
I thought she meant in terms of cancer risks, not Covid 🤣

Reactions: 2
I paid £40 for PPE at the dentist this week.
I understand they need to charge this but I use a private dentist which I pay a monthly fee to them. Obviously I've paid the last six months to them despite them being closed for most of it. I don't expect a refund but when they are able to fit me in I'll be a bit gutted if they charge me lots for PPE.

I go to two different hairdressers - 1 for cut and a different one for my colour. The lady that cuts didn't increase her prices at all which was strange (so gave a bigger tip). The place that colours put it up by at least £15 (maybe even more). Said it was due to product price rise and PPE.

So many things are just creeping up.

It will be interesting to see what the typical commercial Christmas confectionary and trimmings cost this year. Usually the price of a tin of Celebrations or Quality Street chocolates is a topic of conversation. I haven’t seen any yet.
Oooh I remember seeing the celebrations tub as low as £4 at Tesco last year. They are still at this price now:

My favorite chocolates are Ferrero rochers which were down to £10 at Morrisions for 48 last year. I once paid £14 as a gift for someone at Christmas time 2 years before with delivery.

Celebrations, heroes, roses and quality street were £3.50 each in Tesco about a fortnight ago, I stocked up!

Oooh I remember seeing the celebrations tub as low as £4 at Tesco last year. They are still at this price now:

My favorite chocolates are Ferrero rochers which were down to £10 at Morrisions for 48 last year. I once paid £14 as a gift for someone at Christmas time 2 years before with delivery.

• Wow
I understand they need to charge this but I use a private dentist which I pay a monthly fee to them. Obviously I've paid the last six months to them despite them being closed for most of it. I don't expect a refund but when they are able to fit me in I'll be a bit gutted if they charge me lots for PPE.

I go to two different hairdressers - 1 for cut and a different one for my colour. The lady that cuts didn't increase her prices at all which was strange (so gave a bigger tip). The place that colours put it up by at least £15 (maybe even more). Said it was due to product price rise and PPE.

So many things are just creeping up.
Yeah I think the private practices who do charge monthly plans maybe do have a bit of a cheek if they are keeping the full monthly fee after being closed but then still try to charge a lot extra... I don’t imagine patients being too happy?! I think the large corporate chains who’ve kept the monthly fees should manage to absorb the cost but who knows!

RE hairdresser, I’d be a bit suspect myself if not charging anything extra at all... obviously that sounds good on the face of it but I think most are charging more because they’re needing to have in less clients at the time, more time in between them so a shorter turnaround... so if people are able to charge their usual prices it’s either out of sheer goodwill (which is lovely and to be commended) or because they aren’t actually doing anything differently which is potentially a concern? Obviously though I don’t know the layout etc of your hairdresser salon though! But I know my old hairdresser is charging a bit extra because she’s leaving seats empty to socially distance.

Reactions: 1
Yeah I think the private practices who do charge monthly plans maybe do have a bit of a cheek if they are keeping the full monthly fee after being closed but then still try to charge a lot extra... I don’t imagine patients being too happy?! I think the large corporate chains who’ve kept the monthly fees should manage to absorb the cost but who knows!

RE hairdresser, I’d be a bit suspect myself if not charging anything extra at all... obviously that sounds good on the face of it but I think most are charging more because they’re needing to have in less clients at the time, more time in between them so a shorter turnaround... so if people are able to charge their usual prices it’s either out of sheer goodwill (which is lovely and to be commended) or because they aren’t actually doing anything differently which is potentially a concern? Obviously though I don’t know the layout etc of your hairdresser salon though! But I know my old hairdresser is charging a bit extra because she’s leaving seats empty to socially distance.
I know, the hairdresser situation was baffling. She had the mask / vizer on. Use a disposable gown, has purchased the hand sanitiser machine and a fancy machine thing that sucks up the hair from the floor. She has also been unable to rent out the second chair due to the 2M rule. She sent all clients a video of the changes made and the expectation from them on arrival etc and has had to reduce her daily number to allow for cleaning in between. To think she hasn't added any extra on is strange.

Celebrations, heroes, roses and quality street were £3.50 each in Tesco about a fortnight ago, I stocked up!
Oh wow great job! I don't have a Tesco within walking distance.

I don't have the willpower to really stock up on chocolate and it usually gets eaten as soon as I buy it- even if I buy more than one packet. 😆

• Haha
FYI - Iceland’s own butter is £1.49 which is a very competitive price. Their hummus is just £1.

I know, the hairdresser situation was baffling. She had the mask / vizer on. Use a disposable gown, has purchased the hand sanitiser machine and a fancy machine thing that sucks up the hair from the floor. She has also been unable to rent out the second chair due to the 2M rule. She sent all clients a video of the changes made and the expectation from them on arrival etc and has had to reduce her daily number to allow for cleaning in between. To think she hasn't added any extra on is strange.
Absolute fair play to her but I’m sure everyone would be happy to pay a bit extra for all these changes?! Poor girl will be taking a big financial hit!

I have noticed that about 80 per cent of the items I buy regularly have shot up. Sometimes by a fifth! This is across a range of supermarkets - I have the option of a Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose, M & S and Morrison, and I am not loyal to any of them, so go to do a shop wherever I am near at that time. It is the same for all of them. If they haven’t put the price up they have tinkered with the quantity so you are paying same for less.

Even Wilko’s. For years I have been buying their cotton wool pads, they are cheap, decent quality and do the job. They recently changed the packaging but price remained the same. Now the pads are about a third thinner making them substantially less absorbent so they have kept the price down but reduced the quality so that they are almost useless so I will be buying elsewhere.

BREXIT is going to make things worse.

I shop at Sainsbury's as it's my local one, but they are very good at creeping the prices up.

Re dentists, I went last week for check up and hygienist visit. Check was £77.50 up from £60.00 (six months ago) and hygienist was £75.00 up from from £60.00 (Six months ago) There was no mention of the PPE costs I think it has just been automatically built in. It’s a lot of money but TBH I was happy to get an appointment and come away with no work needing to be done. The backlogs for actual dental work are huge.

• Wow
Re dentists, I went last week for check up and hygienist visit. Check was £77.50 up from £60.00 (six months ago) and hygienist was £75.00 up from from £60.00 (Six months ago) There was no mention of the PPE costs I think it has just been automatically built in. It’s a lot of money but TBH I was happy to get an appointment and come away with no work needing to be done. The backlogs for actual dental work are huge.
Well done you for not needing work done! 👏
The backlog is absolutely crazy. I work in a deprived area so lots of dental neglect and subsequent problems and it’s actually insane the list we have, and that’s only people who have been symptomatic... lots of dental problems aren’t picked up until we do exams as things don’t often get painful until they’re advanced 🙈 Gives me so much anxiety if I let myself think too much about it!

Reactions: 4
Well done you for not needing work done! 👏
The backlog is absolutely crazy. I work in a deprived area so lots of dental neglect and subsequent problems and it’s actually insane the list we have, and that’s only people who have been symptomatic... lots of dental problems aren’t picked up until we do exams as things don’t often get painful until they’re advanced 🙈 Gives me so much anxiety if I let myself think too much about it!
You can only do what you can, hats off to you. Whilst I was waiting the phone was constantly ringing. Where there are few/no check ups available people are waiting and then the fillings and worse develop. My dentist have actually been very good with patients that were already registered. I really
Feel for people that aren’t able to be seen

You can only do what you can, hats off to you. Whilst I was waiting the phone was constantly ringing. Where there are few/no check ups available people are waiting and then the fillings and worse develop. My dentist have actually been very good with patients that were already registered. I really
Feel for people that aren’t able to be seen
Me too, I feel for people, dental problems aren’t fun even if they aren’t necessarily painful! We’ve been doing our best to help non registered patients where we can but we’re a very busy practice so if we’ve hit our quota we can’t do much :(

I cancelled mine in April, it became clear it was going to be difficult to get the 2 checkups and hygienist visits that I was paying for with all the backlog built up and they weren't going to give a refund if I didn't get what I've paid for. Then went on about how much they had been left behind and were struggling, like we all are but I don't like being guilted into carrying on a payment if I might not get the service.

Lots of the rules with dentists do seem silly, they're making people wait in the car if a couple is having a checkup even though they're from the same family. I don't get why they aren't extending their hours to catch up? If a two treatment room practice is only having one person at a time the backlog must really be piling up with every day. I was planning on waiting till October hoping it would quieten down, now it seems it's only going to get worse the longer I wait.

Totally offtopic and a conspiracy theory but I'm sure the dental industry is suppressing anything fancy like stem cell enamel so they still have lots of work to do. :LOL: