Covid and Christmas plans.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This was a conversation I listened to on the radio last week.

obviously a lot of restrictions have been lifted, so that’s not the topic here,
And unlike last year it’s not a ‘Christmas dinner for one’
alone,
with one government approved gift from Santa 😐

but if you’re having people over, how are you planning to deal with the awkward question…….

“Oi mate, are you vaccinated 😐”???

do you have elderly family members mixing with unvaccinated kids? Would you ask someone to do a covid test before coming to dinner?
would you avoid asking someone who isn’t vaccinated to your home?
Have you talked to family about what the plan or expectations are?
Is anyone In your family reluctant/struggling to spend time with others post lockdown and is it effecting your family plans?

it came from an advice piece in which one woman said she didn’t want her unvaccinated mother in law over for Christmas (unvaccinated bar her first jab, although she didn’t say what stopped her having the second) because she herself had compromised health, asthma, and didn’t want to put herself at risk, but it was causing issues with her husband and they hadn’t decided what to do yet or how to bring it up.

thought it was an interesting conversation coming up to thanksgiving/Christmas/new year’s.

Reactions: 2
I’m vulnerable to COVID but by then will have had three jabs, my flu jab and a pneumonia vaccination. One of my daughters has an unvaccinated boyfriend so I’ll probably ask him to do an LFT but otherwise I’m ok with him coming.
Personally I don’t agree with people being pressured into having vaccinations if they don’t want them for whatever reason. Just my opinion of course!

Reactions: 8
do you have elderly family members mixing with unvaccinated kids? Would you ask someone to do a covid test before coming to dinner?
Is anyone In your family reluctant/struggling to spend time with others post lockdown and is it effecting your family plans?
All my family are double vaccinated (except the teenagers) and most have had a booster.
No plans to ask anyone to take a test
If they were unvaccinated they’d still be welcome (I’ll still be seeing friends who aren’t)
No one really cares in my circle to be honest…

Obviously I’m pro vax but I’m anti misinformation. I think I’ve tied myself in knots a few times trying to explain my views but that’s it in a nutshell really 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 7
do you have elderly family members mixing with unvaccinated kids? Yes elderly grandad 87 and 2 unvaccinated kids (4 and 2)

Would you ask someone to do a covid test before coming to dinner? Never

would you avoid asking someone who isn’t vaccinated to your home? Never

Have you talked to family about what the plan or expectations are? Nope they all know we aren’t vaccinated and won’t be 😂

Is anyone In your family reluctant/struggling to spend time with others post lockdown and is it effecting your family plans? Grandad has said he doesn’t want his booster and doesn’t care that we don’t get the vaccines he said life’s for living and we all need to stop panicking and just enjoy what we have in this life - he’s a wise man!

Reactions: 5
Mine and my partners family know we aren’t vaccinated and won’t be, so it’s sort of a case of, if you can’t accept it then that’s your choice. They have all whinged and moaned but we’ve been honest since the start so it’s not new information. There will definitely not be any LFTs or the like. Certainly hasn’t stopped them wanting to see us. Shame 💀😆🤗🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
All my family and friends know that my husband and I are unvaccinated and don’t care. My MIL (68 years old) is the only family member that spends Christmas with us and even though she is double vaxxed she won’t be getting any boosters and has the same opinions as my husband and I when it comes to vaccine passports,lockdowns and mask wearing, so we have no issues and will probably not even discuss covid on Christmas.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Mine and my partners family know we aren’t vaccinated and won’t be, so it’s sort of a case of, if you can’t accept it then that’s your choice. They have all whinged and moaned but we’ve been honest since the start so it’s not new information. There will definitely not be any LFTs or the like. Certainly hasn’t stopped them wanting to see us. Shame 💀😆🤗🤣
I think covid vaccines/lockdowns/mask wearing is the only topic my mother-in-law and I have ever agreed on 😂😂😂

• Haha
My family is a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated and every one respects each other’s choices so I count myself as very fortunate really. There won’t be any vaccine conversation, covid conversation or LFTs on Christmas Day as my family are all pretty sick of it all now and just want to get on with life. Big family Christmas at ours with 4 generations and all the kids all together, can’t wait!

I don’t understand this at all… you can still pass COVID to people regardless if you have had the vaccine or not? My mam got covid and passed it onto my Dad, both double jabbed. It’s so wrong how people are being forced into something, human rights being taken away!

Reactions: 10
Good topic (y) Well my OH and I are having Xmas lunch at my mums this year, we have all had our vaccines and we don't really mix with a lot of people we will do a test before we go just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: 3
My family is a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated and every one respects each other’s choices so I count myself as very fortunate really. There won’t be any vaccine conversation, covid conversation or LFTs on Christmas Day as my family are all pretty sick of it all now and just want to get on with life. Big family Christmas at ours with 4 generations and all the kids all together, can’t wait!
Love this! This is how me and my family are too! We are a mix of jabbed/not jabbed and couldn’t care as it has been everyone’s choice what they have decided to do!!

We are a mix, some vaccinated some aren’t! We aren’t bothered and we certainly won’t be doing any tests! We want to enjoy Christmas!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I don’t understand this at all… you can still pass COVID to people regardless if you have had the vaccine or not?
thst wasn’t the question, the thread is about how covid effects you plans/decisions/family members
Not if the vaccine works, it’s not a pro/anti negative/positive thing.

Reactions: 6
I'm not concerned about whether everyone is jabbed or not, and I won't be asking for negative tests nor will I do one myself.

I am kind of dreading the gathering over Christmas because I'm not best pleased with my in laws.

I bet lots of people use the points in the opening post of this thread as an excuse not to spend time with certain people.

I don’t do the whole Christmas or family gathering thing, but my husband likes people so if I get talked into having anyone at the house I’ll be insisting they test beforehand.

We are having immediate family over everyone is double/triple jabbed bar my 95 grandma who refused Pfizer because it’s not British 😂🥴.

kids will have been out of school for a week before Christmas and have already had asymptotic covid so I’m not concerned.

Normal Christmas here we're not hung up on vaccine status so all welcome .
Certainly no tests will be indertaken either unless there's a medical reason .

- Do you have elderly family members mixing with unvaccinated kids? Yes
- Would you ask someone to do a covid test before coming to dinner? No, but I would expect anyone that’s ill to let me know before turning up, as I would have 2 years ago.
- Would you avoid asking someone who isn’t vaccinated to your home? No, neither my husband or I wouldn’t ask anyone’s status.
- Have you talked to family about what the plan or expectations are? Yes - no need to bring anything unless you have a specific want.
-Is anyone In your family reluctant/struggling to spend time with others post lockdown and is it effecting your family plans? Not family but someone on my street has been struggling to ‘reintegrate’ (for want of a better word) after spending such a long time alone.

I will be spending the early morning at my daughters as go there for breakfast and present opening and hopefully be spending the rest of the day, boxing day and new years day with the lonely elderly and homeless. BUT have no idea what they will say in regards to vaccinations as yet. So I have to wait and see as nothing has been said yet as I am not vaccinated.

do you have elderly family members mixing with unvaccinated kids? Yes
Would you ask someone to do a covid test before coming to dinner? Nope
would you avoid asking someone who isn’t vaccinated to your home? My fella is unvaccinated so that's out the question (shame, cos I could have got out of seeing my SIL if so)
Have you talked to family about what the plan or expectations are? Covid wasn't once mentioned when we discussed our plans
Is anyone In your family reluctant/struggling to spend time with others post lockdown and is it effecting your family plans? No

I am cooking Christmas dinner and having my parents and brother over for the first time ever this year. Everyone is vaccinated bar my partner. Nobody has mentioned him being unvaccinated and I wouldn't dream of asking them to do a test. I'll also be seeing my other halfs family including his elderly grandmother on boxing day - obviously if I felt unwell in any way I just wouldn't go to avoid putting her at risk.

I am of the attitude now that "if I get it, I get it". I just think we need to live with it and can't let it control every aspect of our lives. I want to enjoy christmas without worrying about bloody LFTs, who is or isn't jabbed and whatnot. It goes without saying that if I had somebody vulnerable round me, I'd of course be slightly more cautious, but in general I am just carrying on as normal as I can.

We’ll be going to my parents and they’re asking people to test before going. I’m fine with that, we all are. They’re vulnerable and we’ve all worked hard the past two years to keep them safe and that doesn’t stop now. Doing a quick test is no biggie for us!