Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Scottish health minister did a speech and said 80% of the population could be infected and 20% of these requiring hospitalisation!! And someone said I was being doomsday!!

I did read on Twitter that doctors and scientists have moved to human trial for a vaccine against the virus - just surprised no one else has picked up the tweet.
Even if the trials went great I hear its still going to be at least a year before it's ready. People say more like 2-3 years

Reactions: 3
the dog.. it was a ‘weak positive’ and it’s suggested it was from the owner kissing the dog etc or the dog touching surfaces with the virus on it so on the fur but it’s not actually infected the dog. I’d imagine there would be more cases in China if animals could get it too, and there’s zero, except one ‘weak positive’

A few companies have vaccines that they believe are nearing the next stage of testing on humans but Obviously have to be tested for a while. I read it would take 9 months.
well I wouldn't be petting it anyway;)

There's a programme on now at 7.30 on BBC1 with a panel of experts,they might shed more light on it instead of all this scare mongering..

I remember the last time a vaccine was rushed out; one for the Swine Flu. I refused to let my kids get it because it hadn't been tested enough, but a lot of people I know got their kids vaccinated. At least three kids I know of all came down with narcolepsy as a result of it.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Nurse in the family has tonight ina group chat told us not to worry at all. She’s said that it’s def being made out to be worse than It actually is. I think we need to watch what we are listening to and who. Bad news sells it’s a fact. They don’t let us know of all the people who have recovered in any media coverage it’s always bad news.

Reactions: 4
Nurse in the family has tonight ina group chat told us not to worry at all. She’s said that it’s def being made out to be worse than It actually is. I think we need to watch what we are listening to and who. Bad news sells it’s a fact. They don’t let us know of all the people who have recovered in any media coverage it’s always bad news.
Watch the programme now at 7.30 ,China has confirmed a large downturn over the past few days..

Has anyone actually stocked up with more than a few weeks worth of food? I need to do a "normal" grocery shop this week and I'm already hearing of empty shelves in local supermarkets 🙄 I have a good supply of cleaning products, disinfectant etc, we use soap (not gel wash) and always have plenty of that but I don't really want to fill my cupboards with dried, tinned, and jarred food like some zombie apocalypse. I'll be even more depressed looking at an emergency supply of food 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Has anyone actually stocked up with more than a few weeks worth of food? I need to do a "normal" grocery shop this week and I'm already hearing of empty shelves in local supermarkets 🙄 I have a good supply of cleaning products, disinfectant etc, we use soap (not gel wash) and always have plenty of that but I don't really want to fill my cupboards with dried, tinned, and jarred food like some zombie apocalypse. I'll be even more depressed looking at an emergency supply of food 😂
We bought at least 2 week's worth and put it in the basement. We've always said we should have one as we are prone to bad snow storms. We did our normal shop yesterday and the shelves were filled up. We also went out for dinner. We shouldn't put our life on hold because of it, just wash our hands even more thoroughly.

Reactions: 6
I think take a pragmatic approach - no need to stop living life but no need to be blasé either. Practise hygiene as best you can and keep an ear out for official updates and advice.

it’s a virus that’s only 3 months old, let’s face it, nobody is an expert.

Reactions: 9
I remember the last time a vaccine was rushed out; one for the Swine Flu. I refused to let my kids get it because it hadn't been tested enough, but a lot of people I know got their kids vaccinated. At least three kids I know of all came down with narcolepsy as a result of it.
As much as it’s scaring me my kids would be the last I’d let get it unless I knew for sure there was no lasting damage so with you on that one!!
after me saying yesterday my supermarkets weren’taffected. I went to Asda this morning and the place looked like it had been ransacked. Security guard limiting hand soup and hand gel to two per person! We have 1 case in Scotland! I was slightly baffled lol loads of loo roll though! 😂😂

• Haha
We bought at least 2 week's worth and put it in the basement. We've always said we should have one as we are prone to bad snow storms.
I'm fairly sure we'd have at least a fortnight's worth of food with my usual shop. Half of me thinks it's crazy to panic buy but the other half knows damn well that I'll be adding a few extra tins to the trolley 😂

As much as it’s scaring me my kids would be the last I’d let get it unless I knew for sure there was no lasting damage so with you on that one!!

after me saying yesterday my supermarkets weren’taffected. I went to Asda this morning and the place looked like it had been ransacked. Security guard limiting hand soup and hand gel to two per person! We have 1 case in Scotland! I was slightly baffled lol loads of loo roll though! 😂😂
Funnily enough, loo roll is the one thing that I bought extra of last week. I can live off of cereal and beans but I'm not wiping my arse on newspaper 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
There was an academic expert (cant remember his exact position!) on the BBC news yesterday and he corrected the newsreader when she spoke about reinfection, he said it wasn’t clear it was reinfection, it could be a case of it flaring, lying dormant/quiet then reappearing. Don’t know which scenario is best, to be honest!

Slightly off topic but my school age children already have hands that are red, cracked and sore from the hand washing and alcohol gel that school has introduced; can anyone recommend anything to soothe it?

There was an academic expert (cant remember his exact position!) on the BBC news yesterday and he corrected the newsreader when she spoke about reinfection, he said it wasn’t clear it was reinfection, it could be a case of it flaring, lying dormant/quiet then reappearing. Don’t know which scenario is best, to be honest!

Slightly off topic but my school age children already have hands that are red, cracked and sore from the hand washing and alcohol gel that school has introduced; can anyone recommend anything to soothe it?
Yes, it could be like Glandular Fever where it always stays in your body and can flare up.

Try aloe vera gel and O'Keefe's hand cream. It is the best hand cream that I have used and doesn't sting them.

We slather Aveeno on overnight, seems to soothe the dryness!

Reactions: 2
Omg I thought this was just me. I didn't even think I was a worrier but my husband is stressing me. He works with lots of people who have just arrived in the country from all over the world (including corona hotspots like Iran and China) and apparently his work are taking it seriously and enforcing hand sanitising/washing etc. But he is such a bolshy sod he seems to take it as a personal attack on his human rights if I ask him to wash his hands the minute he comes into the house. I don't understand why he doesn't just do it to please me?
I have a mother in her late eighties with respiratory problems and my daughter had her baby last week so the thought of catching it and either passing it on or being unable to see them for weeks is worrying me.
The fact that you called your husband and son
Omg I thought this was just me. I didn't even think I was a worrier but my husband is stressing me. He works with lots of people who have just arrived in the country from all over the world (including corona hotspots like Iran and China) and apparently his work are taking it seriously and enforcing hand sanitising/washing etc. But he is such a bolshy sod he seems to take it as a personal attack on his human rights if I ask him to wash his hands the minute he comes into the house. I don't understand why he doesn't just do it to please me?
I have a mother in her late eighties with respiratory problems and my daughter had her baby last week so the thought of catching it and either passing it on or being unable to see them for weeks is worrying me.
I think the fact that you called your own husband and son a skank means you are my spirit animal!!! Oh and yes, my husband does the same. Vile!

Reactions: 1
The fact that you called your husband and son

I think the fact that you called your own husband and son a skank means you are my spirit animal!!! Oh and yes, my husband does the same. Vile!
Posts like this make me so grateful for my husband, hahahha. He is incredibly clean. I saw a post from a lady once who's husband refused to even flush the toilet after shitting...wtf.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Not that surprising though.

A friend of ours husband was in China over Chinese new year. He came back and self isolated for two weeks in the basement and for that whole time didn't see his family.
what a guy! I wish more people were so considerate!!

My husband and daughter should have shares in Domestos, lol! We all wash our hands and have good hygiene, but they take it to the next level!

Reactions: 1
I’ve went and stocked up on baby milk for the babies! It hard to get as it is so I thought I’d best get a fair few tins!

Urm me ... quite embarrassed now 😂
in fairness with the impending birth I was always going to batch cook and stock up on food for the kids. So maybe I didn’t need 35 toilet rolls but now I know that they’re all sorted apart from fresh food for next few weeks

I’ve went and stocked up on baby milk for the babies! It hard to get as it is so I thought I’d best get a fair few tins!
This is concerning me as I was waiting until my baby arrived to see what I needed feeding wise. My son had tongue tie and we had a tough journey so I didn’t want to buy stuff I didn’t need but I’ve been panicking That I need milk bottles and a pump
To cover all bases!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.