Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do think somewhere along the line we are going to have to put our faith in the government and the nhs. Otherwise we will get no where

The government have chronically underfunded the NHS for years. I don't think it will be magically be able to cope with lots of people getting ill at the same, even if it did bring out retired healthcare professionals.

Reactions: 3

Yel

The government have chronically underfunded the NHS for years. I don't think it will be magically be able to cope with lots of people getting ill at the same, even if it did bring out retired healthcare professionals.
This is my concern. The equipment needed to treat people with pneumonia will be in demand by every country so they can't just magic some up like the health secretary implied. That's what's caused the death rate to go from 1-2% to 4%+ when the health services become overwhelmed, apparently.

Reactions: 5
This has been floating round on Facebook for a couple of days and being shared by people "my friend has a friend whose husbands a Doctor" type statement
I thought the same when I started reading - tho I’ve not seen it on Facebook, the style is classic. So I expected it to have lots of exaggerated fear mongering and made up anecdotes but all that seems quite decent advice. I’m no expert on how long the virus lives on metal surfaces compared to fabric but it seems an odd - and boring - thing to lie about. And the stuff about the sore throat , dry cough, or it dieing in warm temperatures I’m pretty sure is true.
Probably someone copied and pasted a load of info to drive traffic and engagement onto a particular page or something like that.

Reactions: 1
If China have been able to contain it, there's a very good chance we will be able to. In a few weeks we could easily see it peak an on the decline before it even develops into anything major.

Trump is about to give a speech on it, God knows what measures he'll introduce 😬
He'll just cordon off the White House to save his own orange ass..

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think they killed him/didn't treat him properly so he would die.
This is such a sad and outrageous story. Something like this, every day at the beginning is crucial. He could have instigated the effort to prevent the spread of the virus days earlier, maybe weeks. Lives would have been saved, mainly Chinese ones.
Read up on it here:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-51403795

“On 30 December he sent a message to fellow doctors in a chat group warning them to wear protective clothing to avoid infection.

Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".

He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours" Local authorities later apologised to Dr Li.”

I agree it’s shady he died from it. That bbc article obviously can’t speculate but they still draw attention to it being unusual by stating “it’s not known if he had any pre existing health conditions.” Even the circumstances around it were odd - it was announced he died, then corrected to say he was in a critical condition, all within a short space of time. Then of course he did die, whether the first announcement was true or not. All so odd, sad and frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I'm due to go to Cardiff next week for a concert. I wouldn't be concerned however, my Dad has recently been diagnosed with stage 2, progressing to stage 3 COPD. He is living with us for the moment as he is unable to work.

Should I stay at home? He and my partner think I am being ridiculous but I am feeling a bit anxious about the whole situation.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I'm due to go to Cardiff next week for a concert. I wouldn't be concerned however, my Dad has recently been diagnosed with stage 2, progressing to stage 3 COPD. He is living with us for the moment as he is unable to work.

Should I stay at home? He and my partner think I am being ridiculous but I am feeling a bit anxious about the whole situation.
Maybe wait and see what boris suggests today , I think if you practice good hygiene you will be okey .. maybe if you said you were going to china or italy I would say reconsider but I think Cardiff and good hygiene will be okey

Maybe wait and see what boris suggests today , I think if you practice good hygiene you will be okey .. maybe if you said you were going to china or italy I would say reconsider but I think Cardiff and good hygiene will be okey
I know I sound a bit neurotic but my Dad has been so poorly the past few months. I reckon a respiratory illness would finish him off and I don't want to risk it!

This is such a sad and outrageous story. Something like this, every day at the beginning is crucial. He could have instigated the effort to prevent the spread of the virus days earlier, maybe weeks. Lives would have been saved, mainly Chinese ones.
Read up on it here:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-51403795

“On 30 December he sent a message to fellow doctors in a chat group warning them to wear protective clothing to avoid infection.

Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".

He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours" Local authorities later apologised to Dr Li.”

I agree it’s shady he died from it. That bbc article obviously can’t speculate but they still draw attention to it being unusual by stating “it’s not known if he had any pre existing health conditions.” Even the circumstances around it were odd - it was announced he died, then corrected to say he was in a critical condition, all within a short space of time. Then of course he did die, whether the first announcement was true or not. All so odd, sad and frustrating.
It’s very odd. All we can do is speculate, none of us have the truth. I really don’t believe it’s biological war fare or anything like that. These illnesses have occurred through the ages and strong as we think we are actually we’re at the mercy of nature! But I do think there was a cover up here possibly to protect the economy at the time and I do think he was targeted.
the problem with pregnancy insomnia is I wind myself up at nighttime and my son was ill yesterday and I convinced myself he had meningitis .... he doesn’t he had a nap woke up and was eating and drinking fine!
Then I go to the shops today and all the shelves are stocked nobody is rushing around pulling stuff off shelves like I imagined in my head last night 😂 everybody was going about their normal business! I have just made sure I keep washing my hands especially after touching a trolley etc and wiping down door handles. But I think that’s pregnancy nesting again but you can’t beat basic hygiene 😂 al

Reactions: 3

Just practice good hand hygiene and try to avoid touching your face in between hand washes and you should be fine. Unless Cardiff suddenly has a huge rise in cases

Reactions: 1
Just for those of you who are now scared to use public transport buses,trains or go on that well deserved Easter holiday you’ve been so looking forward to I thought I’d let you know that since the beginning of January I’ve been on 14 long haul flights. Yesterday I took a flight to the US. That’s a lot of airports and thousands of people from all over the world in one place. I take sensible precautions mainly washing my hands (a lot) and i carry a small hand gel all the time. Looking around lots of other passengers seem to be doing the same. There are those that feel it’s necessary to wear a mask 😷 and if it makes you feel better then so be it.
When I’m out and about I don’t touch handrails, press lift buttons with my finger knuckles, push open doors with the back of my hand or body etc, I don’t touch my face whatsoever until I get a chance to give my hands a good wash. I can do no more than that and neither can you.

Reactions: 16
It's ok saying practice good hygiene, the problem is other people.
Today iv seen people cough/sneeze into their hand then touch things in the shop, an people just cough/sneeze without using their hand?!
It's just filthy and there is no need for poor hygiene and manners. Eurgh

• Sick
Reactions: 10
I'm not bothered. Not going to waste my time worrying now. I'll leave that until me or one of my loved ones has it. I'm just going to continue with proper hygiene etc... we have more than enough supplies as we have stocked up in advance of no deal.

I'm not bothered. Not going to waste my time worrying now. I'll leave that until me or one of my loved ones has it. I'm just going to continue with proper hygiene etc... we have more than enough supplies as we have stocked up in advance of no deal.
We did that..... but then the deadline was changed twice so we ended up eating it so I was running low so now I’m stocked up again and feel much better

• Heart
It’s very odd. All we can do is speculate, none of us have the truth. I really don’t believe it’s biological war fare or anything like that. These illnesses have occurred through the ages and strong as we think we are actually we’re at the mercy of nature! But I do think there was a cover up here possibly to protect the economy at the time and I do think he was targeted.
the problem with pregnancy insomnia is I wind myself up at nighttime and my son was ill yesterday and I convinced myself he had meningitis .... he doesn’t he had a nap woke up and was eating and drinking fine!
Then I go to the shops today and all the shelves are stocked nobody is rushing around pulling stuff off shelves like I imagined in my head last night 😂 everybody was going about their normal business! I have just made sure I keep washing my hands especially after touching a trolley etc and wiping down door handles. But I think that’s pregnancy nesting again but you can’t beat basic hygiene 😂 al
The local police tried to cover it up for a number of reasons.

Reduce panic and damage to the local economy etc.

Of course they’d want to keep it from the central government as well, failure and incompetence is not taken lightly in Beijing. Of course by doing this they created a much larger problem and so we are now where we are. China is being more open about this than most things as they got burned badly by the usual suppression tactics

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.