Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How bad is it going to get?
This is a very brilliant virus. It spreads before it even gives you the first cough, and that is what makes it so difficult to control. We know the cases we have seen so far are the tip of an iceberg, but nobody can quite figure out what is the shape, depth and size of that iceberg.

It is really unlike the Sars outbreak, where there was no iceberg at all: everyone who got infected got sick and it was fairly easy to contain. The 2002-3 outbreak resulted in fewer than 800 deaths and no cases have been reported since 2004.

A huge community effort in China has helped bring down the rate of new cases of the coronavirus, but the economy has tanked and has to be restarted. So you would expect to see the numbers creep back up.

The big question is how big the second wave of infections will be, and whether it is controllable. Can you stop very sharp peaks that might overwhelm hospital capacity? That is what the UK strategy is all about — to flatten the peaks and, in effect, delay the epidemic.
Professor Gabriel Leung, dean of medicine, Hong Kong University

Reactions: 4
Apparently there's a case in a primary school that's about 5 miles from where I live. I'm still not worried, I will continue just washing my hands properly as I always do and not touching my face with unwashed hands. These are simple steps that work very effectively to inhibit the spread of disease.

Reactions: 2
My kids school has a few coming back from a skiing holiday they havent been told to self isolate I'm just hoping they use common sense and do it

Reactions: 3
I think I'm more cautious than worried. We were meant to be going to Cyprus during the Easter holidays as we do every year, but with a baby, we have decided to cancel and go away at a later date

Reactions: 8
My in laws cancelled their trip to Tenerife last week, mainly because my father in law is immuno-compromised. Wasn't worth the risk for them.

Reactions: 7
Iv been reading about the shortage of antibacterial hand wash/gel and paracetamol.
Has anyone noticed their local shops and supermarkets are running low on them and anything else?

Reactions: 3
Iv been reading about the shortage of antibacterial hand wash/gel and paracetamol.
Has anyone noticed their local shops and supermarkets are running low on them and anything else?
I haven’t 🤷🏻‍♀️ Lots still in supermarkets here

All my local shops have ran out. Iv been in two Tesco’s, a pharmacy, a b and m, Waitrose and a Sainsbury’s.
the Tesco said they should have a delivery next week.

(Of hand sanitiser)

Reactions: 5
Iv not been panic buying but I am really scared. As I said, for my parents more than anyone. I work on an airline so am I supposed to not see my parents now until the virus has a cure? And it’s little things that I feel aren’t being thought about- for example, my parents went to church yesterday and they still did the ‘peace be with you’ which is where they shake hands with everyone and I was furious that they are still doing that! I’d say a good 75% of the congregation is the elderly. They church should be stopping that esp as it’s rumoured the pope has the virus too. I don’t know, it’s just little things that I feel the government and big organisations aren’t nipping in the bud to help stop spread the virus. My airline is in no way prepared and we’ve just been told to more or less get on with it. But I’m scared to bring passengers back from Tenerife and places like that. As crew we are supposed to help when someone’s been sick or they messed the toilet up, but we haven’t got the extra protective equipment to do so. I just feel like a sitting duck.
My grandson cleans the planes and the only time they were given protective clothing was when Air China came in and somebody had been sick on it. They were told the plane had been fumigated but there was doubts about that.

• Sad
My local shops are running low on hand sanitiser, but I think its possible as I've been told the local hospital and care providers are no longer at this time providing there workers with it the workers are having to provide there own

Reactions: 1
The shelves had no hand gel yesterday. None available on Asda online shop for me either. I got the last one from the chemist. Anti bac soap
Was running low too but there was loads of food nothing odd looking there but my friend went late in the eve and said a lot of shelves were bare but I don’t know if they run their stocks down on a sat eve anyway and stock up on a Sunday which is also quite likely.

I live in the south west, no cases confirmed here. I went to do a normal shop yesterday and there was no handwash in our asda. The disinfectant and toilet roll shelves looked like they had been ransacked but there were some bits left.
I went on to Morrisons which is 5 minutes from Asda to get handwash and they didnt have any either. I gave up then and just bought bar soap!

My grandson cleans the planes and the only time they were given protective clothing was when Air China came in and somebody had been sick on it. They were told the plane had been fumigated but there was doubts about that.
It’s absolutely disgusting isn’t it? There really needs to be more done about it. Aircraft are breeding grounds! Travel must stop to known countries that have it. I can’t see an end to it!

Yes I went to Tesco and they had ran out of antibacterial hand wash and cheap bleach. I don't know about paracetamol as I didn't buy any.

Yel

Supermarkets here were low on Friday, but all topped up yesterday.

Good old soap is what you need. Not anti bacterial sanitizer as it is a virus and washing is far more effective. House hold cleaners are probably more damaging for people's health than the virus at this point.

Reactions: 6
I may have mentioned this before, but hand sanitiser MUST be alcohol based to have any effect on viruses. Antibacterial gel will only work if it's alcohol based - if not it will have no effect against viruses, only bacteria.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I may have mentioned this before, but hand sanitiser MUST be alcohol based to have any effect on viruses. Antibacterial gel will only work if it's alcohol based - if not it will have no effect against viruses, only bacteria.
Iv seen some in the shops that are neither antibacterial or alcohol based 😬

Supermarkets here were low on Friday, but all topped up yesterday.

Good old soap is what you need. Not anti bacterial sanitizer as it is a virus and washing is far more effective. House hold cleaners are probably more damaging for people's health than the virus at this point.
Hand washing is obs the most important thing but that’s not always possible.

Yes, just came back from town, there was none in Superdrug, Tesco, Poundland, Boots or Wilkos near me. Tesco had an "out of stock, back in stock 8th March" notice on the shelf. Oh well, good old soap it is.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.