Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How much stuff are you all buying? Enough for days, weeks or even months?

Also does anyone think it will start affecting the supermarkets supply?
It's already affecting the supermarkets for me. I'd just personally hate to be in this condition- and this was just a snow storm:

So for me as much as I can. I don't have a car though so it's always just whatever I can carry back. I'd like to have the option of being able to just stay indoors for a bit if I want to.

Thank you! My thoughts entirely. There is a lot of irresponsible and ill informed scaremongering going on in this forum and all it does is spread fear and misinformation. I've said it several times before, listen to the experts at the World Health Organisation and the various UK health authorities, not journalists.
Just saying but sometimes even the experts and doctors can be wrong. Smoking and thalidomide were given the go ahead back in the day.

It's up to you to do whatever you think is best for your family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
True enough that doctors make mistakes... but you don’t need medical training to look at the data and see it could be much worse. The virus is very contagious, yes, but mostly not fatal. If we were dealing with something as deadly as it is contagious, that would be scary. And there are still less than 20 cases in the whole uk since the first one what, a month ago? It has been controlled pretty well here.
I’m not criticising you or anyone specifically, as you say we make our own choice. But I’m just adding my take on it at the moment in case it calms any worries a bit.

Reactions: 5
The experts are worried (the real experts in pandemics and viruses not NHS receptionists that think they are). If it can't be contained and becomes a background virus that's always there 20% of people with compromised health that get it are likely to die. And loads will require expensive and long hospital care for pneumonia. No panic now, but things very quickly could change for the worse.

Reactions: 5
Asda was looking pretty sparse on the frozen food front yesterday. Am stocked up on beans and noodles lol. Not too worried yet but I am asthmatic so hope I don't get the virus.

Reactions: 4
The thing that worries me the most is that we are having to rely on people having the common sense to stay quarantined....it’s hard enough getting people to wait 48hours after a sick bug let alone 2 weeks, I don’t trust people to do it tbh x

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The thing that worries me the most is that we are having to rely on people having the common sense to stay quarantined....it’s hard enough getting people to wait 48hours after a sick bug let alone 2 weeks, I don’t trust people to do it tbh x
I know its maybe finding someone for extra job but people should be told at the airport that they need the 2 weeks self quarantine something along those line .
My brother was just saying 2 of the bosses at his work just came back from 2 months visiting china and Japan clients and they came into work were questioned why they weren't quarantined they said ah there fine wasnt until someone higher told them go home for 2 weeks .. uneducated and ignorance?

It's already affecting the supermarkets for me. I'd just personally hate to be in this condition- and this was just a snow storm:

So for me as much as I can. I don't have a car though so it's always just whatever I can carry back. I'd like to have the option of being able to just stay indoors for a bit if I want to.

Just saying but sometimes even the experts and doctors can be wrong. Smoking and thalidomide were given the go ahead back in the day.

It's up to you to do whatever you think is best for your family.
We went to the grocery store and bought enough for at least two weeks. It is in the basement and we won't touch it unless an emergency. Felt very weird doing it but we could see other people were clearly doing the same thing. I have to say, we had zero cans in our pantry as we only buy them for what we are cooking. This is what my friend that works for the US govt told us to get.

We got
Hand soap
Cans of red beans and black beans
Cans of baked beans
Cans of tomatoes
Cans of sweetcorn
Cans of fruit
Cans of tuna
Noodles
Pasta sauce/curry sauce
Bottles of water
Rice
Pasta
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dish soap
Laundry detergent
Dried fruit
Juice
Baby wipes
Nuts
Crackers
Peanut butter
Candy
Granola bars

It felt v excessive but my husband's been saying for a while we should have an emergency supply as we live in an area that gets snow storms and power cuts.

Reactions: 6
3 new cases https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-asia-test-diagnosed-nhs-latest-a9366371.html

We went to the grocery store and bought enough for at least two weeks. It is in the basement and we won't touch it unless an emergency. Felt very weird doing it but we could see other people were clearly doing the same thing. I have to say, we had zero cans in our pantry as we only buy them for what we are cooking. This is what my friend that works for the US govt told us to get.

We got
Hand soap
Cans of red beans and black beans
Cans of baked beans
Cans of tomatoes
Cans of sweetcorn
Cans of fruit
Cans of tuna
Noodles
Pasta sauce/curry sauce
Bottles of water
Rice
Pasta
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dish soap
Laundry detergent
Dried fruit
Juice
Baby wipes
Nuts
Crackers
Peanut butter
Candy
Granola bars

It felt v excessive but my husband's been saying for a while we should have an emergency supply as we live in an area that gets snow storms and power cuts.
That's really helpful. I've just added tinned fruit to my list.

Reactions: 2
Been following this thread for a couple of weeks without an account hoping for some reassurance so made one to comment.
I hate to admit I’m one of those people who is absolutely petrified. I’ve cried a lot about this. I even ended up calling my GP who reassured me the media are making it a lot worse than it actually is. The numbers look scary but they aren’t telling us every single person who has recovered or got it mild. We only know how many people Are diagnosed and not exactly how many are critical. I have young children my baby is only months old and I haven’t left the house unless I’m in the car for weeks. I’m sanitising everything I can including my front door handle and letter box from the mail man coming round. I want to stock up on food but told I’m over reacting! So I have done things slyly.

I go from full force scared crying to “god the media are looking for clicks” there is no in between.
I just hope it disappears as quickly as it arrived 🤞🏼

Reactions: 9
I'm sorry it's having such a bad effect on your mental health.

Do you have other support in real life?

Reactions: 1
My granddaughter who's in her 4 year at uni practising Pharmacy ,was shocked by how many people are in panic over this ,she also pointed out that the vast majority of the few people who have died are OAPS with health problems ,in the grand scale of things very few have died

Reactions: 9
My husband and youngest son are immunocompromised and it boils my blood hearing about people such as Zara Tindall flouting guidelines about isolating yourself.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Been following this thread for a couple of weeks without an account hoping for some reassurance so made one to comment.
I hate to admit I’m one of those people who is absolutely petrified. I’ve cried a lot about this. I even ended up calling my GP who reassured me the media are making it a lot worse than it actually is. The numbers look scary but they aren’t telling us every single person who has recovered or got it mild. We only know how many people Are diagnosed and not exactly how many are critical. I have young children my baby is only months old and I haven’t left the house unless I’m in the car for weeks. I’m sanitising everything I can including my front door handle and letter box from the mail man coming round. I want to stock up on food but told I’m over reacting! So I have done things slyly.

I go from full force scared crying to “god the media are looking for clicks” there is no in between.
I just hope it disappears as quickly as it arrived 🤞🏼
Please be reassured that your GP is correct, he/she knows an awful lot more about health and wellbeing than any journalist ever will. I'm angry that the press are stoking fear in people, it's totally unnecessary and irresponsible. Remember that lurid headlines sell papers and the press are in business to make money so it's in their interests to spout doom and gloom. This page on the BBC website shows some statistics that should help put things into perspective. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

Please don't panic. It might be worth booking an appointment with your GP as it sounds like you might be suffering with an anxiety condition - I do myself and I can identify with your feelings as I've been there. In my case it was fear of HIV that ruled my life for 10 years (the tombstone ads in the 80s put the fear of God into me). It took two HIV tests (both negative), counselling and a course of CBT to get me to see things how they really are and to calm down. My work over more recent years has put me into contact with HIV positive people from time to time and nowadays it doesn't worry me at all. Good luck, I hope you find peace. ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I wasn’t worried but the news is making me feel more worried each day 😪
That’s what mainstream media want. You scared and distracted from what’s really going on. It’s all scare mongering

Reactions: 6
Please be reassured that your GP is correct, he/she knows an awful lot more about health and wellbeing than any journalist ever will. I'm angry that the press are stoking fear in people, it's totally unnecessary and irresponsible. Remember that lurid headlines sell papers and the press are in business to make money so it's in their interests to spout doom and gloom. This page on the BBC website shows some statistics that should help put things into perspective. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

Please don't panic. It might be worth booking an appointment with your GP as it sounds like you might be suffering with an anxiety condition - I do myself and I can identify with your feelings as I've been there. In my case it was fear of HIV that ruled my life for 10 years (the tombstone ads in the 80s put the fear of God into me). It took two HIV tests (both negative), counselling and a course of CBT to get me to see things how they really are and to calm down. My work over more recent years has put me into contact with HIV positive people from time to time and nowadays it doesn't worry me at all. Good luck, I hope you find peace. ☺
It is most definitely anxiety and the gp does want me to book an appointment but I’ve to wait a few months as he is wary of someone coming into the surgery and the place getting shut. I would end up dying on the spot.

I’m not sure what it is going to take for me to stop worrying but reading that article does help slightly

thank you very much x

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.