Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know I’m probably in the monitory but is anyone else generally not concerned? Just like I wasn’t with swine flu or SARS.

Reactions: 12
I know I’m probably in the monitory but is anyone else generally not concerned? Just like I wasn’t with swine flu or SARS.
My husband isn't! I wish I wasn't, but it is concerning with a weakened immune system.

How much stuff are you all buying? Enough for days, weeks or even months?

Also does anyone think it will start affecting the supermarkets supply?
Bought stuff for around two weeks if I eat normally. It would probably last longer if I am careful.

Reactions: 2
You do realise all the stats make it monumentally different from those?

Even if you're not worried please do practice good hygiene. I'm not worried for my personal health but friends and family that are at risk.

Reactions: 4
My only worry is that I have a 4 month old baby, my partner and his mum are type 1 diabetic, both our dads have COPD and my brother is asthmatic. My brother ends up in hospital at least once year when a chest infection turns into pneumonia. These are the people most at risk. My mum works at Tesco so is in regular contact with the general public

Yes, me! I work in the NHS and I have a good understanding of what goes on and how these things are handled. The press, especially the tabloids, are just generally fear mongering to sell more papers with their lurid headlines. I'm shocked at how many people seem to believe everything they read in the press, they really shouldn't - I think a lot if people just love a drama though. If people take sensible precautions, like washing their hands thoroughly, not touching their faces with unclean hands (that's how a lot of viruses are transmitted), catching coughs and sneezes in a tissue etc, then most people will be fine. If people want to use a hand sanitiser, make sure it is an alcohol gel as the alcohol penetrates the virus and kills it - anti-bacterial gels won't do so if they are not alcohol gel. I think a lot if people need to calm down and keep a sense of perspective - just be sensible, keep calm and carry on, the worst thing we can do is panic.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Why is everyone feeling the need to stock up so much? There is half a dozen cases in the uk so far and they are quarantined, the one uk death was in Japan. There’s a lot of fear mongering on this forum as well as the tabloids and media as they need something to write about! I visited Asia during SARS and didn’t use a mask back then. I’m working in Japan next week and I will take sensible precautions and probably wear a mask as everyone else’s will be so I will look odd without but I will wash my hands plenty I always do! I’ve been to 5 countries in the last 3 months and not contracted anything. I’m not saying it won’t happen to me as it may well do but reading the posts on here you are going to be too scared to leave your own house! The majority of people who have contracted the virus don’t even know they had it as the symptoms have been mild. If you are elderly or have underlying problems then the risks are obviously higher.

Reactions: 15
I’m not worried enough that it’s causing me anxiety, I’m a cynical old bird and I prefer to believe the Government like to feed the media exaggerated facts to deflect from the utter arse they’re making of running the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Why is everyone feeling the need to stock up so much? There is half a dozen cases in the uk so far and they are quarantined, the one uk death was in Japan. There’s a lot of fear mongering on this forum as well as the tabloids and media as they need something to write about! I visited Asia during SARS and didn’t use a mask back then. I’m working in Japan next week and I will take sensible precautions and probably wear a mask as everyone else’s will be so I will look odd without but I will wash my hands plenty I always do! I’ve been to 5 countries in the last 3 months and not contracted anything. I’m not saying it won’t happen to me as it may well do but reading the posts on here you are going to be too scared to leave your own house! The majority of people who have contracted the virus don’t even know they had it as the symptoms have been mild. If you are elderly or have underlying problems then the risks are obviously higher.
Thank you! My thoughts entirely. There is a lot of irresponsible and ill informed scaremongering going on in this forum and all it does is spread fear and misinformation. I've said it several times before, listen to the experts at the World Health Organisation and the various UK health authorities, not journalists.

Who have updated the risk to very high.

Where's the misinformation in this thread? The stats are very worrying and it has a potential to be very serious.

Reactions: 5
Can you do that and is it safe? he's not long diagnosed so I'm not very knowledgeable
My son is type 1 and has been for 8 years he’s only 10.
I’ve just contacted gp and topped up supplies...
they recommend having 3 mo this stock anyway

Why does it matter? If stocking up makes people feel better then why not?

Last week Italy only had a few cases, now look at how many they have, it seems it doesn’t take much for this virus to take hold

Reactions: 9
EXACTLY!

The media are making this out to be more than it is. Seasonal flu kills more people. And I'm speaking as the mum of a T1 diabetic. One of my boys isn't long back from Japan, and my daughter's in America for the next 10 days. If you're practicing good hygiene and using common sense, then you should be fine.

Yes, me! I work in the NHS and I have a good understanding of what goes on and how these things are handled. The press, especially the tabloids, are just generally fear mongering to sell more papers with their lurid headlines. I'm shocked at how many people seem to believe everything they read in the press, they really shouldn't - I think a lot if people just love a drama though. If people take sensible precautions, like washing their hands thoroughly, not touching their faces with unclean hands (that's how a lot of viruses are transmitted), catching coughs and sneezes in a tissue etc, then most people will be fine. If people want to use a hand sanitiser, make sure it is an alcohol gel as the alcohol penetrates the virus and kills it - anti-bacterial gels won't do so if they are not alcohol gel. I think a lot if people need to calm down and keep a sense of perspective - just be sensible, keep calm and carry on, the worst thing we can do is panic.
I don't disagree with lots of what you say. But things are uncertain and the economic impacts will be absolutely huge even if it's all over in two weeks. And with how it's developed it so far, all ending in two weeks seems unlikely. Even with the worst case scenario most people are going to be fine, it's not Ebola.

It's unknown and uncertain. But what there is a real chance of is an outbreak in any town / city and schools and workplaces will be closed and shops stripped, just how they did in some places in Italy overnight. So no harm in getting a few more items for the food cupboard.

The media want to overplay it, the government want to downplay it. There's such a small amount of critical beds in the country I really hope it does amount to nothing. But we don't know. Health care experts in virology aren't saying don't worry wash your hands, it's fine.

I’m not concerned about coronavirus. But I’m worried about a monumental panic, then schools close, then myself and colleagues can’t get to work easily. I work in the NHS my husband works in social housing so we’ll have to juggle childcare so that we can provide some kind of service to patients and residents. That’s what I’m worried about a HUGE panic impacting on a health and social care system that’s already stretched. Sorry ill get off my soap box now. stay healthy all and just wash your hands 🖐

Reactions: 7
I don't disagree with lots of what you say. But things are uncertain and the economic impacts will be absolutely huge even if it's all over in two weeks. And with how it's developed it so far, all ending in two weeks seems unlikely. Even with the worst case scenario most people are going to be fine, it's not Ebola.

It's unknown and uncertain. But what there is a real chance of is an outbreak in any town / city and schools and workplaces will be closed and shops stripped, just how they did in some places in Italy overnight. So no harm in getting a few more items for the food cupboard.

The media want to overplay it, the government want to downplay it. There's such a small amount of critical beds in the country I really hope it does amount to nothing. But we don't know. Health care experts in virology aren't saying don't worry wash your hands, it's fine.
Anyone wanting real information should read this. Common sense, informed and expert advice.

Reactions: 3
Can anyone advise me on travel to spain - i’m due to go on holiday in Ibiza in June and both my mum & partner are saying we should cancel our holiday?! I’m not sure what to do!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.