Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
True but other developing countries haven't had such a high mortality. People on twitter are saying the virus has mutated and is damaging heart tissue.
The flu shot is at best 30% effective. If you're not at risk u should pay for it.
Not true, those with compromised immune systems are eligible (I am as asthmatic). If your not it is very reasonable to pay for.
Didn't mean to miss those people. Just here, everyone is encouraged to get it and it is free.

Reactions: 1
So something I find interesting, here in Canada, everyone is advised to get the flu shot. But in the UK it seems only the elderly/pregnant are? In Canada, they advise everyone, so we don't spread it to people with compromised immune systems who can't get the vaccine.
I’ll be honest I didn’t get the flu vaccine this year... Everytime I had the flu vaccine I got really really sick... I mean laying in bed with 40 Degree fever for days 🤢

Reactions: 8
I’ll be honest I didn’t get the flu vaccine this year... Everytime I had the flu vaccine I got really really sick... I mean laying in bed with 40 Degree fever for days 🤢
Yeah I only got it once and if made me ill with the worst flu ever. I don't believe that it's a dead virus bla bla bla can't make you sick

Reactions: 3
Me too, and I'm never ill. I've given it a miss this year as well, something off with it imo.

Reactions: 4
I’m going to Tenerife next week. I’m not concerned about the virus per say, but more about being quarantined, although we are staying in an apartment, not a hotel.

Yes !! I was trying an experiment out on my self the past 3 years I had the flu vaccine and every year I ended up with the flu . Last years flu I was out of it for 3 weeks and with kids that's hard !! I couldnt do it again this year so I've not had the flu vaccine and I've still not had it. If anything I feel better this year than I have any previous not even the common cold so far

If everybody washed their hands properly, and I mean properly, we would all be much better off for it. So many people are really sloppy about hand hygiene and this is how a lot of illnesses are spread.
God that just reminded me: in the school lavatories, they have one long wide sink under the taps, like an animal trough - one of the kids would ‘wash’ her hands by dipping her fingers in the dirty water in the bottom of the trough 🤢 strangely enough, she was often off sick. AND she would be sent back to school within the 48h quarantine period after vomiting.

• Sick
3 more cases in the UK, easyJet cancelling lots of flights to Italy and Switzerland have banned gatherings of more than 1000 people😱😱😱 the people saying this is just a flu and seen it all before, no we haven't seen action like this before. 1 person to slip through the net and infect and a whole city could be on lockdown

Japanese patent that had recovered is now reinfected!!! duck this is worrying

I just saw on twitter that it’s in Wales, close to me. Patient, I think, was in Italy and caught it while he was there. Scary stuff. 😬

Reactions: 2
My freezer and cupboards are already full, it's still a bit touch and go as to if it will escalate. The Dow has had it's biggest fall ever.

Paste from reddit, the combination of the infection rate, doubling rate and mortality rate are concerning.

Basics:

• Name of virus: SARS-CoV-2
  • Name of illness: COVID-19
  • R0 SARS-CoV-2: 2.28 - 3.28 2,27
  • R0 Seasonal Influenza: 1.28 19
  • COVID-19 Case Fatality Rate: 2.3% - 4.3% 3, 4 (Note that CFR is very difficult to estimate accurately in any situation, but especially in an evolving situation like this)
  • 2019-2020 Influenza Fatality Rate: 0.039% - 0.14% 5
  • Confirmed Cases (World): 82,738 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 13
  • Confirmed Cases (Non-China): 4,265 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 14
  • Confirmed Cases (US): 60 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 15
  • Case Doubling Time (Non-China): 6 days 18
  • Transmission Methods: Respiratory droplet and touch/fomites 6, possible fecal-oral 21, possible airborne 28,29
  • Incubation Period: 2-14 days 7
  • Persistence on Inanimate Surfaces: Up to 9 days. Less at temperatures above 30C 27
Symptoms: Fever, cough, SOB 8. It seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. After a week, it can lead to shortness of breath, with about 20% of patients requiring hospital treatment. Notably, the COVID-19 infection rarely seems to cause a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat 9. Some atypical patients may present initially with GI symptoms.

Clinical Features: Pneumonia appears to be the most frequent serious manifestation of infection, characterized primarily by fever, cough, dyspnea, and bilateral infiltrates on chest imaging. Most infections are not severe, although many patients have had critical illness. In a report from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention that included approximately 44,500 confirmed infections with an estimation of disease severity, 81 percent were mild (no or mild pneumonia), 14 percent were severe (eg, with dyspnea, hypoxia, or >50 percent lung involvement on imaging within 24 to 48 hours), and 5 percent were critical (eg, with respiratory failure, shock, or multiorgan dysfunction). White count is variable. In a study involving PNA pts, "lymphopenia was common, and all patients had parenchymal lung abnormalities on computed tomography of the chest, including bilateral patchy shadows or ground-glass opacities." Acute respiratory distress syndrome developed in 20 percent, and mechanical ventilation was implemented in 12.3 percent. Among the six patients who died, D-dimer levels were higher and lymphopenia was more severe compared with survivors. 23

Treatment:

Treatment is primarily supportive. The following medications have either been tentatively shown to be efficacious, or are under investigation as treatment

My freezer and cupboards are already full, it's still a bit touch and go as to if it will escalate. The Dow has had it's biggest fall ever.

Paste from reddit, the combination of the infection rate, doubling rate and mortality rate are concerning.

Basics:

• Name of virus: SARS-CoV-2
  • Name of illness: COVID-19
  • R0 SARS-CoV-2: 2.28 - 3.28 2,27
  • R0 Seasonal Influenza: 1.28 19
  • COVID-19 Case Fatality Rate: 2.3% - 4.3% 3, 4 (Note that CFR is very difficult to estimate accurately in any situation, but especially in an evolving situation like this)
  • 2019-2020 Influenza Fatality Rate: 0.039% - 0.14% 5
  • Confirmed Cases (World): 82,738 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 13
  • Confirmed Cases (Non-China): 4,265 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 14
  • Confirmed Cases (US): 60 (2/27/20 1700 EST) 15
  • Case Doubling Time (Non-China): 6 days 18
  • Transmission Methods: Respiratory droplet and touch/fomites 6, possible fecal-oral 21, possible airborne 28,29
  • Incubation Period: 2-14 days 7
  • Persistence on Inanimate Surfaces: Up to 9 days. Less at temperatures above 30C 27
Symptoms: Fever, cough, SOB 8. It seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough. After a week, it can lead to shortness of breath, with about 20% of patients requiring hospital treatment. Notably, the COVID-19 infection rarely seems to cause a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat 9. Some atypical patients may present initially with GI symptoms.

Clinical Features: Pneumonia appears to be the most frequent serious manifestation of infection, characterized primarily by fever, cough, dyspnea, and bilateral infiltrates on chest imaging. Most infections are not severe, although many patients have had critical illness. In a report from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention that included approximately 44,500 confirmed infections with an estimation of disease severity, 81 percent were mild (no or mild pneumonia), 14 percent were severe (eg, with dyspnea, hypoxia, or >50 percent lung involvement on imaging within 24 to 48 hours), and 5 percent were critical (eg, with respiratory failure, shock, or multiorgan dysfunction). White count is variable. In a study involving PNA pts, "lymphopenia was common, and all patients had parenchymal lung abnormalities on computed tomography of the chest, including bilateral patchy shadows or ground-glass opacities." Acute respiratory distress syndrome developed in 20 percent, and mechanical ventilation was implemented in 12.3 percent. Among the six patients who died, D-dimer levels were higher and lymphopenia was more severe compared with survivors. 23

Treatment:

Treatment is primarily supportive. The following medications have either been tentatively shown to be efficacious, or are under investigation as treatment

The problem for every country, is that there will be a large percentage who need icu, and there ain't going to be anywhere near enough beds. Hospitals will be overwhelmed by patients they can't treat.
That will mean lots more die.
I don't think any figures out of china can be believed, and tbh, which country will tell the truth... Not UK, if you don't mass test, you don't find it. True death rates will only be seen retrospectively when death rates as a whole are looked at.

What will be discussed in the meeting : stop population panicking, reassure so the economy won't be tanked.
What they'll announce: plans in place for the NHS to deal with any cases, extra funding.
Erm, wash your hands
Stuck your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.