Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My grandparents are in their 80s live alone but aren't able to go to the shop or anything because it's too far. I worry how they would cope without anyone for 4 months. I'd fear they wouldn't

Reactions: 3
Virgin Atlantic have written a letter to the government saying the airline industry needs 7.5 billion (not million) is government aid.

How on earth would that work? The government can't bail out all these private companies that are going to suffer. Sure delay tax bills and adjust things to make it easier but can't just print and give money imo.
And surely government money should be used to help the "man on the street", every day people whose business will be struggling rather than multinationals?

Reactions: 23
Same. My friend told me to calm down and turn off the TV and put down my phone but I can’t relax and I was convinced I was feeling ill earlier... I keep waking with a sore throat but no other symptoms but I get tonsillitis when I’m stressed...
i could have written this exact thing myself. I’ve woken with a sore throat every day this week but it’s fine by about 9!

Reactions: 5
Both me and my husband work for an airline and I just feel this year I’m going to lose my parents, my job and our home.
Sending you love and hugs.
You have made me have a few tears.
I hope everything will be ok for you
Much love. Xxxxx

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
N.Irish first minister says schools might be closed for 16 weeks ?!?!!!! How is that going to play out surely older kids are going to start getting into trouble from bordem. Kids missing a whole term of school ? No induction activities for new starts. So much to sort out and could escalate 😱

I am also starting to worry about food supply. The government and shops keep saying don't panic there is no issue with supply chain but when everything shuts apart from supermarkets, chemists and petrol stations what is going to convince those on minimum wage to go in and work in Tesco when everyone else is hauled up at home ?? And delivery drivers ? And those who work in the food production factories ? People will be off sick or self isolating and the remainder might just think this isn't worth it in not going in. I am actually getting a bit scared.
Why would they be “off sick” though unless they actually are sick ? They will surely go into work just like all of us who work in the NHS as we are providing essential service. I bloody hope people aren’t just going to be staying at home worrying and whining about not being able to get toilet roll 😡 WE ALL HAVE TO HELP OUT. Who would be doing the factory work if not them ? They would only be giving more reason for companies to look for robots to do their jobs in the future. I’d be shitting myself that I’d be laid off.

Reactions: 4
I urge you to go public with this. The public needs to know. The government NEED to be held accountable and step things up and organise and plan ahead. This is absolutely shocking. X
my hospital hasn’t even closed it’s doors to visitors yet! It’s so concerning. we haven’t even had training on how to put on the hazmat suits, only the masks.

• Sad
  • Wow
I'm posting some notes into my elderly neighbours letterboxes tomorrow. Asking to let me know if they need anything, I have a car and I'll be happy to try and accommodate them so they don't have to leave.

One of my neighbours is in his 70s and goes to the local pub for tea every night because he can't cook/doesn't like cooking. I'll offer to take him some food around every night I can, if it means he eats and stays healthy.
We have to look after our vulnerable :(

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
My best friend’s sister in law is meant to give birth by Caesarian next week. They got a phone call from the hospital yesterday telling them it had to be cancelled. Anyway, they kicked up enough of a fuss (rightly so) and were told “okay, we will keep you in but will have to cancel someone else”. 😬

• Wow
Reactions: 9
My daughter works in a hospital on an elderly ward. She says there’s been 5 suspected cases in today but yet they are still letting visitors in... surely that should be stopped?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
my hospital hasn’t even closed it’s doors to visitors yet! It’s so concerning. we haven’t even had training on how to put on the hazmat suits, only the masks.
We've had no direction around that either.

My best friend’s sister in law is meant to give birth by Caesarian next week. They got a phone call from the hospital yesterday telling them it had to be cancelled. Anyway, they kicked up enough of a fuss (rightly so) and were told “okay, we will keep you in but will have to cancel someone else”. 😬
I understand why it was cancelled but she's going to give birth eventually, what's she supposed to do, cross her legs? lol if only it was that easy.

Reactions: 11
I can't possibly catch up on the thread from yesterday since its moving too fast but I saw people were posting links to New York Times articles. They have lifted the paywall for the new coronavirus section but still want you to log in so they have your information so...

If you want to read anything on that site here is a little hack, after .com and before / put a .

example: .com./

then you can read whatever you want ;)

Stay safe lovlies 😷😘
This is the most helpful thing I have seen in a long time. Thank you for the hot tip!

Boris is that you?
Me too but I think they should be giving us an update or at least leaking to the press that senior medics/scientists are going in and out of Downing Street so that the public are reassured. Instead we are at the stage were supermarkets are rationing and people are fighting over toilet rolls. We need a clear strong leader who is coming out and telling us that planning is going on behind the scenes then to reassure us esp when other European countries have such different responses. It’s all very well telling us to keep calm and sneeze into a tissue but people are getting scared now.
Did you watch Macron or Varadkar? They instilled confidence and said they were protecting their elderly. We got told we’d loose love ones. It’s just NOT good enough. There’ll be riots before we know it.
I voted Tory too (don’t hold it against me) so you can’t say I’m a Boris Hater either.
No I'm not Boris! We are being given updates, I don't know why anyone would think we aren't. Supermarkets are only having to ration some items because a lot of people have gone into panic mode and, against all advice, panic bought vast quantities of goods - they are the ones responsible for rationing happening, not the government. No problem with you voting Tory, I did too. 😀

• Haha
  • Sick
And surely government money should be used to help the "man on the street", every day people whose business will be struggling rather than multinationals?
Where would they get it ?if this thing drags on for months the economy will be down the toilet..I've heard them mention nxt winter before there's any kind of downturn that this is just the tip of the iceberg ..

Reactions: 1
how? It can’t have been for medical reasonsthen that makes absolutely no sense

Reactions: 2
So what they expecting mums to be to do? Surely there are reasons for the surgery? That baby has got to come out one way or another. 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Biggest mistakes of this mess so far:

“It’s just the flu” - not many people knew what a coronavirus was in the first place, then suddenly every man and his dog became bleeping expert in virology two days later because of poor official communication of how severe it could become.

“it only affects the elderly and those with health problems” - absolutely it looks like they have more chance of a bad outcome, but it can turn nasty for young people too.

“self isolation” - people are so bloody confused with the mixed messages going about they need clearer decisive action from Government rather than trying to decide if they’re sick and should socially distance themselves.

“many loved ones will die” - duck you, Boris

- No daily PM update. he’s just the figurehead puppet in all this; he absolutely has time to hold a five minute daily briefing to the nation to control behaviour in the way they want to manage this ridiculous, risky plan.

Reactions: 24
I'm posting some notes into my elderly neighbours letterboxes tomorrow. Asking to let me know if they need anything, I have a car and I'll be happy to try and accommodate them so they don't have to leave.

One of my neighbours is in his 70s and goes to the local pub for tea every night because he can't cook/doesn't like cooking. I'll offer to take him some food around every night I can, if it means he eats and stays healthy.
We have to look after our vulnerable :(
That is so nice of you 😍

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.