Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if a staggered school closing would be better? So those children with parents working in essential services and those with parents who cant possibly work from home stay in school, whislt the parents who can facilitate a school closure take their children out?
I would say in my childs primary school there are probably 80% of parents who want to remove their children to protect family members and 20% who are worried about finding childcare/work in an essential service.
I think something like that could possibly work if all clubs, soft plays, parks etc were closed down too.
If my childrens school shut i wont be taking them out and around like we were in the school holidays, i may allow them to ride their bikes but would do it at a time when no one else is around.
I would hope not many people would be selfish enough not to follow any 'lockdown' rules.

The government are going to have to respond and do something now that trump has stopped EU flights, what someone said above is spot on, people will now fly via the UK which is really stupid and puts more people at risk of contracting the virus.

Reactions: 3
Why the duck was that not canceled?
Wealth before health. But don't worry because the racecourse has asked people if they have symptoms to not attend the festival. Bonkers. I'm staying clear of town for the next week.

Reactions: 6
S

I know where things come from. I never suggested thsats what you were thinking. I'm providing an opposing view. I never said school closures wont happen at some point but there are better things to be putting in place now to slow this down. But kids going hungry because they are not attending school is a very serious consequence of closing schools and cant be seen as something to take lightly.
there are lots of serious consequences to consider, it’s just a tit situation all round. I work in a school as non teaching, have no clue if I’ll get paid - believe me it would suit me personally if they stayed open.

I just keep telling myself these measures are temporary and allowing the nhs to cope is going to save lives.

Reactions: 5
Thanks for this. They make the same point I’ve been arguing for weeks that the danger of the virus is its infectiousness not fatality, so stats about how many people have died are besides the point...
Agreeing on that makes it harder to dispute the rest ... not that I don’t agree anyway I guess. The main argument in the comments seems to be that it’s anonymity means it loses credibility. I don’t think that’s really true, alot of it is a common sense collection of facts made into a compelling argument, not a load of medical technicalities. Yes you could say some of the extreme examples about scar tissue on the lungs and patients in corridors might be exaggerated but even without those examples the same point would stand, don’t you think?

I do think what they say about work is unfortunately unrealistic, a lot of jobs can’t be done from home. But large scale social events and travel are getting harder to justify every day.

My best mate has a trip to NYC for her 30th she’s literally been talking about for years coming up , with me and a few others meant to come - flying from Heathrow on 13th April which is literally the first day after the Europe ban lifts according to my calculations... (I know it doesn’t currently include the uk just mentioning it)
I’m the only one who hasn’t bought a flight- I was leaving it to the last minute for financial reasons. Now I’ve got the money, i don’t feel great about booking. There’s a nagging feeling it’s not right. Who knows what things will be like in The states in a month not to mention the risk of travel itself... ?
i feel like my friend doesn’t want to accept the recklessness of making this trip when we don’t have to because she’s been planning this for years.

it’s not like when I walk around London at the moment it feels apocalyptic, it’s not like that (yet) mostly business as usual maybe slightly quieter and I’m sure nyc will be much the same... but its getting there and back, and the fact that as a tourist you are mingling with crowds far more than normal. Plus the general vulnerability of being far away from home.

and of course I’ve got to think of my grandma, I don’t think anyone else on the trip lives in close proximity to an elderly or immune system compromised person as I do. I can’t go can I?
It’s my 50th birthday in a couple of weeks.
We were supposed to be going to The Algarve with friends (one also celebrating her 50th) but we’re not going now and have lost our money. Small price to pay/lose to stay safe. My dad is in the highest risk group and my husband is high risk too so I will not play Russian Roulette with their lives.
The way things are going I probably won’t even be able to go out for my family birthday meal so I’m expecting my 50th to be a bit of a damp squib.
It can’t be helped. I’ll celebrate properly once all this is over, perhaps in 6 months or so.
Your friend really needs to put on her big girl’s knickers and realise what is more important.
You do what you feel is right and if your friend doesn’t understand then tbh that’s her problem not yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I thought exactly this when I heard the news. Seriously, if he's suspending travel then he needs to include the UK, our cases are going up daily as well. I was shocked Trump was doing something sensible so it only makes sense for the UK not to be included :rolleyes:
According to Twitter, President Fart has golf in Scotland in 2 weeks, hence his reluctance to include UK in a ban.

If it was any other statesman, I’d find that totally implausible, but it’s him so I can actually believe it! 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Our school is so far staying open and we are a special school with children who can be immunocompromised.

In my opinion if we move to the Delay phase staying open would be madness. Schools are hotbeds of germs and viruses (still fighting off a sore throat following a cold weeks ago). If there’s an outbreak of Coronavirus in a school this will be rapidly shared with the wider community.

Like a previous poster I have no idea if I will get paid upon school closure so it wouldn’t necessarily be good for staff . As for passing laws to allow larger class sizes ...what an own goal that would be. Let’s increase the numbers of kids in one place ....what a great idea 🙄

Reactions: 11
The US travel bans also applies if you have been in the listed countries 14 day prior so that should reduce people traveling to UK to get to US. They would need to wait 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Not sure if anything like this has been shared I’ve only skimmed through messages this morning but I’ve seen this a few times on my Facebook this morning
FACE3D73-D129-4E3A-885E-E17EC22885CF.jpeg
3886B68B-C64D-4271-8B70-0EE3D1647C73.jpeg

theres also a few friends who’s visas and been revoked so guess the travel restrictions are really starting now.. thank god

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
My country has now introduced temperatures checks for all drivers coming from Germany.

"To help prevent the spread of coronavirus, people returning from Italy will have to inform their doctors and remain in quarantine for two weeks. Those violating the quarantine can face a fine of up to 3 million crowns."

Reactions: 3
Thanks for the quick reply - it’s very helpful seeing the dilemma spelled out by someome else. You saying “if you feel the trip isnt worth putting yourself or grandma at risk” especially. It’s not the risk to me, I’m no martyr but ive never even had regular flu so possibly just reckless through the ignorance of not knowing how bad it is...
BUT no trip is worth putting my grandma at risk of course it isn’t. That almost answers it, but I do wonder how much higher the chance of me catching corona and passing it on fo her is now than the likliehood of me giving her a bad cold or the flu is normally? Is that a stupid question? I get that the risk to her is higher than a normal bug - but I’ve never knowingly passed that kind of thing on so I’m just wondering
I visit my dad 3-4 times a week.
He is in the very top risk group so if he gets it he will most likely die. If there was a shortage of ventilators at hospital, they’d give it to someone else. I know that but it’s hard to accept.
For the last two weeks, when I’ve visited him I have not touched him. I always hug and kiss him goodbye but I’ve been keeping my distance. It’s hard, but if he gets it then I need to know I did everything to prevent him getting it from me.
I wish he could isolate himself but he has to attend hospital 3 times a week so I know the chances of him contracting it are also high.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Without wanting to alarm, have a look at this thread on twitter. Seems to be very difficult to get a test:
I only had to read a couple of his tweets before I thought this man does not have a flu... You can’t even lift your head off the pillow let alone have the energy or even care to be documenting your life on Twitter 🤣

Reactions: 7
My daughter has just told me a child in her school has had to self-isolate. She’s fully panicking as she has gcse’s in may 😩 I’ve told her to get as much work as she can from her teachers!
My youngest son attends a special school with children with severe disabilities so I’m fully expecting they will be the first to close as they’re really strict with sickness bugs.

Reactions: 2
On a lighter note, I've just finished a night shift & my bosses gave me a bottle of prosecco.... That's going straight in my stock pile which brings me to 8 bottles of prosecco (+ a few bottles of gin). Might add a few different bottles of alcohol on my trip to sainsburys this morning, if I'm gonna get looks for buying loo roll that I actually need I might as well get judged for the booze as well ;)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
At my daughter's school year 10 mocks are starting on Monday and running for 2 weeks. I wonder if because it is exam season is the reason for the delay in school action ?

Reactions: 1
Donald making a sensible decision for once. The only time I hope Boris follows his lead 🤦🏻‍♀️
Uhm it would have been sensible maybe like 2 weeks ago. But he has been ignoring / downplaying Corona for two weeks... There must be 1000s of cases.... That won't stop anything now. He just doesn't know what else to do

At my daughter's school year 10 mocks are starting on Monday and running for 2 weeks. I wonder if because it is exam season is the reason for the delay in school action ?
I would expect that at the least there are people at the DfE and Ofqual furiously planning for a few different scenarios right now. In my view the DfE won't be given much say in it, rather Boris will make a decision based on health and economic reasons and DfE/Ofqual will just be left to sort out the logistics. Yr11 summer outcomes will sadly be WAY down their list of priorities.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.