Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have family on the medical field who are saying they aren't worried and it makes me feel like I'm
Just paranoid
My sister in law is a GP and says the same thing. Her little sister is a hospital doctor and she isn't worried either.

I kinda think they both need to stop saying 'it's just essentially the flu...' though. Yes it is, but the flu hasn't shut down countries for many many decades - especially given medical advancements.

Reactions: 8
Also read another post that went like. "Remember contraceptives- Imagine all the babies that will be born in 9 months because their parents stayed in more".

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Yes you are right, Ireland are taking it seriously. My friend lives in Ireland and she’s about to give birth any minute. She’s absolutely heartbroken because she’s been told her mum can’t come in the delivery room with her, she understands why, but it’s so hard for her because her fiancé died a few days before she knew she was pregnant. 😞
Sorry I meant to put a sad face not the one that went up. Hard to know what words to write just sending love.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Boris Johnson summons tech giants Google, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft to Downing Street coronavirus meeting to discuss fight against fake news about the pandemic

Totally agree. Bizarre focus on controlling the message....anyone would think it was a PR crisis as this is one of the first things you try to do-control the narrative using the channels/mechanisms at your disposal.

Reactions: 5
People are reacting out of fear. It’s the waiting for it to properly hit. I honestly think once it does, the spirit of this country will show through and people will share what they have with neighbours/friends/elderly neighbours etc I truly believe that. But fear makes the survival instinct kick in and it’s an unprecedented time.

Reactions: 12
The only things you can’t seem to get around here are toilet roll and hand wash. Maybe some pasta, but everything else seems to be well stocked. 🤷🏼‍♀️

70E78690-1984-4DD4-A912-5B6EBBFA15AA.png
Phew! Goodbye Shark Hoover ad, hello Corona Boy. Order has been restored. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 15
my partner was really unwell today. woke up with a fever around 39-40. he went to work as he had no other symptoms but a dry cough and shortness of breath came on really quickly. he was made to go home by HR (anyone with a fever is forced home)

he rang 111 at 2pm. they told him as he hasn’t left the country recently and he hasn’t been in contact with any confirmed cases that he isn’t at risk of coronavirus. his place of work deals with lots of chinese and italian business people (obviously amongst others). 111 advised that he ring his GP and see a doctor for the shortness of breath.

he rang his GP who asked him to go in straight away (!!!) asked him the usual questions regarding travel etc and said again that it was ‘impossible’ to be coronavirus because he hasn’t left the country in the past two weeks. sent him on his way with antibiotics and a diagnosis of flu/chest infection.

i can hear him wheezing and coughing right now through his sleep. this virus is everywhere and we don’t even know it.
I hope he’s ok, we has the same with 111. Refused to even refer our child to the local drive through test centre.

i hope your husband is ok,

Reactions: 4
I
my partner was really unwell today. woke up with a fever around 39-40. he went to work as he had no other symptoms but a dry cough and shortness of breath came on really quickly. he was made to go home by HR (anyone with a fever is forced home)

he rang 111 at 2pm. they told him as he hasn’t left the country recently and he hasn’t been in contact with any confirmed cases that he isn’t at risk of coronavirus. his place of work deals with lots of chinese and italian business people (obviously amongst others). 111 advised that he ring his GP and see a doctor for the shortness of breath.

he rang his GP who asked him to go in straight away (!!!) asked him the usual questions regarding travel etc and said again that it was ‘impossible’ to be coronavirus because he hasn’t left the country in the past two weeks. sent him on his way with antibiotics and a diagnosis of flu/chest infection.

i can hear him wheezing and coughing right now through his sleep. this virus is everywhere and we don’t even know it.
I hope he improves soon! Keep us updated ☹
Interesting. I think it depends on when the outbreak happens and the population that is most affected by the virus. Spanish flu hit all age groups, which is unusual and in this instance closing schools preemptively may have a positive affect. However this virus is affecting the elderly so the affect of closing schools now may not have the desired results over all.
That’s not true - it’s affecting adults equally, in Italy and China the highest hospitalisation rates are for those aged 30-50; but unfortunately those paying the ultimate price with their lives are the over 60s with weaker reserves to fight off infection.

I’ve said in a previous post, this isn’t a binary death or nurse at home disease. 7,000 out of 10,000 positive tests in Italy (as of yesterday) required hospital treatment, with nearly 1,000 of those critical (sepsis/respiratory failure). Only 1,000 at the point had recovered and 2,000 able to nurse it better at home. That’s a massive strain on healthcare and there are reports of Italian medics having to actively decide who gets to live and who gets to die because they just don’t have the resources to treat everyone equally. So they pick those with the best chances of survival. And that contributes to the impression of it being a elderly/immune suppressed only disease.

Children are absolute virus transmitting entities. Each single child could be in regular contact with numerous adults throughout the day - parents, out of school clubs, teachers and school staff, relatives... combined with less than scrupulously perfect hygiene, it’s not the children themselves contracting the disease that is the problem but the fact that they’re vessels to spread far and wide in communities and the nhs would just not cope if it happened at a rate without some modicum of control.

What’s the point of an economy and protecting jobs if everyone is fucked because there’s no medical aid to tend to the numbers needing it simultaneously.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Does anyone work in a care home? I'm really worried about what will happen in numerous different circumstances. What if 80%staff go off sick? Will the remainder have a potentially huge workload? What will happen to the residents? And not just the care staff? What about cooks/cleaners etc. Mine hasn't addressed any of this, they only want to make clear that we will only get SSP. We didn't even have gloves the other day and that's basic PPE! What about 4/5 months down the line? Will people loose their jobs if (god forbid) many dont survive? I dont know what to think or do. I'm lucky that if we get it, weve got enough savings but so many dont and i feel for them. We are all being really good at hand hygiene and general hygiene but it just takes 1 or 2 people NOT to comply and were screwed. Family and friends and events are still going ahead as well.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I probably looked like I’m panic buying when I went into Asda and they actually had loo roll. Bought a 10 pack and a smaller pack for the kids bathroom. It will last but the reason I got it is because we’re running low and I know I’ll struggle to get it when we are out/very low because of the panic buyers!
I think the panic buying is making more people panic buy. I just worry there will be nothing left when I need it.

Reactions: 14

[/QUOT
I can't believe our government aren't cancelling big events. Every other st Patrick's Day parades are but ours for example. Don't get me started on Cheltenham.
NYC St Patrick's parade cancelled also..
the UK government just keep telling us to wash our hands! 🤔 oops sorry shouldn’t have been touching my face!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Embarrassing and selfish 🤷🏽‍♀️
Can we stop with this now please?! Berating anxious people isn't helpful in these worrying times. Lots come to this thread for reassurance and support, not to be made to feel worse.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.