Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want to be closed down by 22nd, i've got a in law family party at the other end of the country and really don't wanna go.
Plus I know FIL will not take any of this seriously and be hugging and kissing and just laughing at everyone being stupid. :(
This is my issue, my husband is going to Cheltenham races tomorrow even though I have begged him not to, so I have since found out he asked his parents for their view and his mum said she hasn’t changed her behaviour, (hugs and kisses on the mouth)so he should go, but she said don’t touch anyone??! he is going even though I have begged him not to as I have elderly relatives at risk, that I see daily, but so does he! 😔 that is selfish in my view, ‘I’m alright jack, pull up the ladder!’

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Sorry if iv missed it but those that have died,, has thier been anything said about how long they were ill with the virus before hand?

Reactions: 1
Some people actually don’t. This has come as a huge surprise to me as I was always brought up to have a rolling stock of essentials. My mum always used to tell us stories of the build up to the military coup in Nigeria, the food shortages, the power outages and the general civil unrest. Having had to leave the country very suddenly with 3 kids in tow, she’s always brought us up to have a sense of preparedness, even if only for next week. As she says, “If you’ve got a roof over your head and food in your belly, you’re lucky. The rest can be dealt with afterwards!”.

My friend on the other hand, has always just bought enough shopping for the following 2 days. Never any more than that and doesn’t ever have the basics in. She’s not short on money, she just very particular about spending and always has been. She’s genuinely ran out of bog roll, is short on food and is now about to join the panic buyers! There’ll be lots more like her who just don’t see the benefit in having a basic stock until the tit hits the fan! 😬
I grew up with my mum always having shampoos. Conditioner. Shower gels. Loo rolls and so on in a drawer in her room. My sister still does it. She always buys extra every time she goes shopping, I on the other hand always end up finishing a bottle. Forgetting then going to use it the next day and there’s none left 😂
My local supermarket had one packet of pain left yesterday and the expensive hand soap but that was all

Reactions: 5
Surely social media is playing a huge part in worrying people as the last time we had a pandemic , there was no huge lockdown and supermarket shortages and it was dealt with in a case of a few months

Reactions: 8
So this is the priority then. Instead of really taking proper action and closing schools and events.

Ridiculous.

Boris Johnson summons tech giants Google, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft to Downing Street coronavirus meeting to discuss fight against fake news about the pandemic

Reactions: 4
my partner was really unwell today. woke up with a fever around 39-40. he went to work as he had no other symptoms but a dry cough and shortness of breath came on really quickly. he was made to go home by HR (anyone with a fever is forced home)

he rang 111 at 2pm. they told him as he hasn’t left the country recently and he hasn’t been in contact with any confirmed cases that he isn’t at risk of coronavirus. his place of work deals with lots of chinese and italian business people (obviously amongst others). 111 advised that he ring his GP and see a doctor for the shortness of breath.

he rang his GP who asked him to go in straight away (!!!) asked him the usual questions regarding travel etc and said again that it was ‘impossible’ to be coronavirus because he hasn’t left the country in the past two weeks. sent him on his way with antibiotics and a diagnosis of flu/chest infection.

i can hear him wheezing and coughing right now through his sleep. this virus is everywhere and we don’t even know it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I grew up with my mum always having shampoos. Conditioner. Shower gels. Loo rolls and so on in a drawer in her room. My sister still does it. She always buys extra every time she goes shopping, I on the other hand always end up finishing a bottle. Forgetting then going to use it the next day and there’s none left 😂
My local supermarket had one packet of pain left yesterday and the expensive hand soap but that was all
Haha it’s funny how these things influence you when you don’t even realise. I honestly thought it was normal to always have stuff in. Judging by the scale of panic buying, I’m probably wrong!

Anything for a quick buck

Found this there too:

Reactions: 1
Reactions: 6
Can't believe the difference in attitude of the two governments...Ireland are talking about the dead getting cremated straight away and holding a funeral service at a later date,cancelling weddings ,first communions etc..No visitors at hospitals literature everywhere on how to contain/stop the spread even the cinemas are leaving an empty seat nxt to every person to try and contain it .Haven't seen any extra measures from the British..
Yes you are right, Ireland are taking it seriously. My friend lives in Ireland and she’s about to give birth any minute. She’s absolutely heartbroken because she’s been told her mum can’t come in the delivery room with her, she understands why, but it’s so hard for her because her fiancé died a few days before she knew she was pregnant. 😞

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Humans literally fear the unknown. I don't know why anyone is surprised by the panic reaction. Seeing what is going on in Italy, and the UK govt is still so blase about it is absolutely ridiculous.
yeh i haven't stockpiled but i have enough food for at lesst 3 weeks and for the first time bought paracetamol which issomething i i never take just as a precaution... i think here a lot of people are goong mad as the gobt seems to be doing nothing whereas italians can see measures are being taken

Yes you are right, Ireland are taking it seriously. My friend lives in Ireland and she’s about to give birth any minute. She’s absolutely heartbroken because she’s been told her mum can’t come in the delivery room with her, she understands why, but it’s so hard for her because her fiancé died a few days before she knew she was pregnant. 😞
Bless her. I’m due to give birth next week. That in itself with this going on is pretty terrifying but her having lost her fiancé as well. I’ll be thinking of her. She’ll be ok, the midwives are fantastic and will make sure she’s ok but what a horrible situation to be in :(

• Sad
10th UK death announced
NHS England has announced that another person has died after testing positive for coronavirus. They are the eighth to die in the UK, the authorities say. Two more British people have also died abroad.

I have family on the medical field who are saying they aren't worried and it makes me feel like I'm
Just paranoid

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Having read so much about this I honestly think schools needs closing:

According to science magazine www.sciencemag.org if a school has had a case and closes this is a reactive response:

There have been a number of studies that have looked at reactive closures. These analyses, including a paper in Nature in 2006 using math models [of an influenza pandemic], typically find that such reactive school closures for a moderately transmissible pathogen reduces the cumulative infection rate by about 25% and delay the peak of the epidemic [in that region] by about 2 weeks. When you postpone the peak, you also typically flatten the epidemic and space out your cases. This has value. It means that the incidence on any given day is lower, so we don’t overburden our health care system.

this is further down the article about proactive closures:

Q: How about proactive school closures, before there are any infections associated with a school? Are they helpful?

A: Proactive school closures—closing schools before there’s a case there—have been shown to be one of the most powerful nonpharmaceutical interventions that we can deploy. Proactive school closures work like reactive school closures not just because they get the children, the little vectors, removed from circulation. It’s not just about keeping the kids safe. It’s keeping the whole community safe. When you close the schools, you reduce the mixing of the adults—parents dropping off at the school, the teachers being present. When you close the schools, you effectively require the parents to stay home.

There was a wonderful paper published that analyzed data regarding the Spanish flu in 1918, examining proactive versus reactive school closures. When did [regional] authorities close the schools relative to when the epidemic was spiking? What they found was that proactive school closing saved substantial numbers of lives. St. Louis closed the schools about a day in advance of the epidemic spiking, for 143 days. Pittsburgh closed 7 days after the peak and only for 53 days. And the death rate for the epidemic in St. Louis was roughly one-third as high as in Pittsburgh. These things work.
Interesting. I think it depends on when the outbreak happens and the population that is most affected by the virus. Spanish flu hit all age groups, which is unusual and in this instance closing schools preemptively may have a positive affect. However this virus is affecting the elderly so the affect of closing schools now may not have the desired results over all. If you take these measures too early then you also run the risk of delaying the peak too for too long and a later peak causes problems. Also the length of school closures is an issue, how many weeks do you close them for, how do families cope? Could you be putting elderly grandparents more at risk as they are called in to babysit? What if schools go back too soon? Any affect of the closure would be nullified. It is a massive social disruption to blanket shut schools. Many measures can be taken before this stage that could have a better impact in terms of flattening the curve.

Reactions: 5
Ahh that's very sad they might make an exception when the time comes for the baby to be born..

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Glad to see someone else thinks this. I would hate to live off pasta, although i think the kids happily would. So much variety available which people can crazily stockpile if they wish. Why so much emphasis on pasta?!
although i think this is still more logical than the toilet roll thing!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.