Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
In our household the extra food will simply be used once isolation is complete. Not everyone has family and/or friends nearby to deliver to their door.

If self-isolation is necessary then my family will not need to place any burden on others in terms of food or supplies because we have planned sensibly and with a sense of perspective. I have around 2 weeks of basics in our garage and that feels propotionate given the information available to us thus far. If that's viewed as selfish by others than they can kiss my ass 🙋‍♀️😆
Yes, this 100%. I do not want to have to ask OTHER people to go to the store for me and possibly infect themselves because I wasn't prepared.

Reactions: 20

Spinidge

VIP Member
I still don’t understand how closing schools would be the answer and why so many people think it’s the magic bullet. During the statement in parliament tonight they said that whilst people might have the virus and not have any symptoms, it’s the people with symptoms who are transmitting it to others. Children largely don’t show symptoms, so how would closing schools help? I just don’t understand.
Because children although not having symptoms are known carriers. It takes one child unknowingly with the virus, going to school and in ten seconds flat half the children in their class have it too. By the end of the day half the school has it, and the teaching staff as well. They then go home and pass it on to their parents who will go into work not knowing they have the virus for 5 maybe more days and spread it to their colleagues, and once they realise they have the virus, have to take time off work anyway. Meanwhile the children have been to see grandma and grandpa who may have underlying health conditions, and could possibly be dead within a week.
Why have other countries closed schools? Do you think they are over reacting?

Heresthetea

Chatty Member
If all else fails I have 20 Easter eggs for the kids that attend my group. So that will keep us going for a while.

• Haha

Yel

Chatty Member
Coronavirus now declared a pandemic:

World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has confirmed that the coronavirus outbreak is now a pandemic after choosing not to use that description for several weeks.

A pandemic is when an infectious disease spreads easily from person to person in many parts of the world.

He said: "WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we're deeply concerned, both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction. We have therefore made the assessment that Covid-19 can be characterised as a pandemic."

But he added:

"Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO's assessment of the threat posed by this coronavirus. It doesn't change what WHO is doing, and it doesn't change what countries should do.

"We have called every day for countries to take urgent and aggressive action. We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear."

• Heart
  • Wow

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Boils my p**s when I hear people say that. They have obviously never had the bloody flu 🤬
My 19 year old sister died from just the flu so when people say it's no big deal it really irritates me

Is there a local charity that can help the cancer trust here got my mum a lift to and from her treatment . They pick her up and drop her back home as she can’t go on public transport due to her chemo and not being allowed to be near pregnant woman and children . I hope it’s all ok for you I’m so sorry xxx
I'll have a look and make some enquiries

• Sad

50sGirl

VIP Member
Thanks for this. They make the same point I’ve been arguing for weeks that the danger of the virus is its infectiousness not fatality, so stats about how many people have died are besides the point...
Agreeing on that makes it harder to dispute the rest ... not that I don’t agree anyway I guess. The main argument in the comments seems to be that it’s anonymity means it loses credibility. I don’t think that’s really true, alot of it is a common sense collection of facts made into a compelling argument, not a load of medical technicalities. Yes you could say some of the extreme examples about scar tissue on the lungs and patients in corridors might be exaggerated but even without those examples the same point would stand, don’t you think?

I do think what they say about work is unfortunately unrealistic, a lot of jobs can’t be done from home. But large scale social events and travel are getting harder to justify every day.

My best mate has a trip to NYC for her 30th she’s literally been talking about for years coming up , with me and a few others meant to come - flying from Heathrow on 13th April which is literally the first day after the Europe ban lifts according to my calculations... (I know it doesn’t currently include the uk just mentioning it)
I’m the only one who hasn’t bought a flight- I was leaving it to the last minute for financial reasons. Now I’ve got the money, i don’t feel great about booking. There’s a nagging feeling it’s not right. Who knows what things will be like in The states in a month not to mention the risk of travel itself... ?
i feel like my friend doesn’t want to accept the recklessness of making this trip when we don’t have to because she’s been planning this for years.

it’s not like when I walk around London at the moment it feels apocalyptic, it’s not like that (yet) mostly business as usual maybe slightly quieter and I’m sure nyc will be much the same... but its getting there and back, and the fact that as a tourist you are mingling with crowds far more than normal. Plus the general vulnerability of being far away from home.

and of course I’ve got to think of my grandma, I don’t think anyone else on the trip lives in close proximity to an elderly or immune system compromised person as I do. I can’t go can I?
It’s my 50th birthday in a couple of weeks.
We were supposed to be going to The Algarve with friends (one also celebrating her 50th) but we’re not going now and have lost our money. Small price to pay/lose to stay safe. My dad is in the highest risk group and my husband is high risk too so I will not play Russian Roulette with their lives.
The way things are going I probably won’t even be able to go out for my family birthday meal so I’m expecting my 50th to be a bit of a damp squib.
It can’t be helped. I’ll celebrate properly once all this is over, perhaps in 6 months or so.
Your friend really needs to put on her big girl’s knickers and realise what is more important.
You do what you feel is right and if your friend doesn’t understand then tbh that’s her problem not yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Prepare by doing what? Selfishly stockpiling? No thanks.
If you bought a extra packet of pasta a week over 6 weeks you would still have 6 packets in the end and the same amount if you went out and bought all 6 in one go.Doing the later means that there is likely to be less available for those who also decide at the same time that they need pasta too.

If you had chosen to take the first route you wouldn't be running to the shops now to buy the pasta- leaving it for those who didn't buy it in the first place.

Having a social conscience is all grand, but I think you might think differently if it was your baby or child crying in hunger. You like anyone else would do whatever it takes to protect your family first.

• Angry

cakebytheocean

Trump you serious.... "Britain is excluded from the travel ban because it is "doing a good job in tackling the coronavirus"

• Haha

Kat5998

VIP Member
The UK government just don’t care about anyone and it pisses me off so much, I’m very anti Tory and I’d happily smack BJ’s head in to see if there’s anything actually in there

• Haha

Doc

VIP Member
There’s a storm battering outside and it’s not easing my apocalyptic mood. 😂😂😂

Going to have to fire up Ryan’s Toys Review or something to remind me of the good old days where my biggest worry was whether Ryan would find that shitty 10p plastic toy inside a giant plastic egg.

• Haha
  • Wow

Cocod28

Can't believe the difference in attitude of the two governments...Ireland are talking about the dead getting cremated straight away and holding a funeral service at a later date,cancelling weddings ,first communions etc..No visitors at hospitals literature everywhere on how to contain/stop the spread even the cinemas are leaving an empty seat nxt to every person to try and contain it .Haven't seen any extra measures from the British..
Me either! My husband is Irish and so he’s much more up to speed with what the Irish papers are saying and the advice my in-laws are getting.

I fully admit I’ve become obsessed but I honestly feel as though I’m watching a tsunami coming towards us and I’m screaming at everyone to move and they can’t see it. I’ve finally got my elderly Mum with lots of health issues to not go to her keep fit class today (I had to use a LOT of emotional blackmail to stop her from going as she was adamant that she was going) but my sister is going on road trip to the States tomorrow! She doesn’t want to loose money! I’m worried she won’t get back in the country as she’ll be gone for almost 3 weeks.

I was the laughing stock at work last week and told I was hysterical and obsessed and now everyone’s admitting that I was right. I just hope and pray I’m completely wrong about what’s coming next

Reactions: 18

Influenced

Chatty Member
I do think supermarkets should limit HOW much people can buy, in terms of toilet paper, soap, etc.
Agree. And if you are stuck in your house for a month(?) People can go and get stuff for you. It's just grabby grab grab culture. Make sure you are sorted and to hell with everyone else. If we all had that attitude shops would be bare already. Luckily some of us have a social conscience.

• Heart

GossWhore

VIP Member
Panic buyers are embarrassing!

The old, poor and disabled suffer the most because of their greed.

If you are one of them. Yes you're an embarrassment. Don't @ me.

• Heart
  • Sad

Doc

VIP Member
Bottom line is this is not about slowing the virus to protect the vulnerable.

It’s the opposite. Letting it run unchecked striking down down the weak, non productive members of our society and keeping the cogs of business turning at that cost.

Fuck them, it IS eugenics.

edit: and cherry on cake is you are not protected financially or contractually if you go off sick with “minor symptoms” as instructed. Absolutely batshit crazy. All about protecting business.

• Sad

SavvyBee

VIP Member
What I’d like to see is number of cases needing hospital treatment here vs overall numbers. How many have it but are mild and treating at home and therefore no real extra stress on the NHS? I think that’s important information and I’ve not seen any statistics. Assuming all of the deaths have required hospital treatment but nothing on how many others.

Reactions: 17

Darlascott236

ive Just messaged my elderly neighbours to say if they need anything just to ask I don’t want them struggling. It’s scary times and I think we all need to watch out for older people on our neighbourhoods

• Sad
Reactions: 17