Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Until he said this the way I saw it was that you weren't allowed to take a dog in the car to go to a place to walk as the less people on the roads the better, less chance of road traffic accidents and added strain on NHS.
And that is exactly how most people understood it. You can go out to exercise, but it must be on foot/bike from your home address. Police are enforcing that.

Then last night he comes out with that! And says he thinks they’ve been clear on the subject. No mate, you haven’t.

Reactions: 5
Yes was Sainsbury’s how strange maybe it’s different in different areas or mine hadn’t caught up yet
Perhaps? We're in South London so not sure if it is area specific but this is the message we got back on Twitter DM. Maybe they are rolling it out slowly to other areas- the driver seemed to think it was only new from yesterday.

20200404_092930.jpg

Was it sainsburys? The driver phoned his manager whilst we were bringing the shopping in as we queried it. Then when my husband was speaking to customer services on twitter they said it was now their new policy 🤷🏼‍♀️
I had a Sainsbury's delivery last Sunday and the driver never took my substitutions back. I'm in Scotland.

Yel

the cost in US deaths of not stopping it would be equivalent to $8 trillion, or $60,000 per household
That's quite a confusing article. I assume their modeling results in stopping the spread of the virus with a short term "lockdown"? The virus has spread so much that even a hard lockdown for many more months would make it very difficult to eradicate now it's spread so much.

It's very possible to interpret the figures to suit the headline someone wants to write.

Also from the times today

Boris Johnson’s coronavirus adviser calls for a way out of lockdown
Britain may still need to adopt herd immunity

Britain has “painted itself into a corner” with no clear exit strategy from the coronavirus epidemic and needs to reconsider herd immunity, according to a senior government adviser.

A prolonged lockdown risks causing more suffering than the virus itself, Graham Medley, the government’s chief pandemic modeller, has warned. He said that the country needed to face the trade-off between harming the young versus the old.

Professor Medley, a member of the key scientific body that is guiding the government’s response, told The Times that Britain must consider allowing people to catch the virus in the least deadly way possible rather than letting unemployment, domestic violence and mental ill health mount indefinitely.

His modelling showed that letting people return to work or reopening schools would allow the pandemic to take off again and no way had been found of easing the lockdown while controlling the virus. Only those working outside might be safe to go back to their jobs, he found.

An antibody test, which the government is hoping will prove a “game-changer”, could help but was not working and such a method had never previously been used to manage an epidemic, he said.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
My husband has now tested positive. He’s a an A&E consultant but has been caring for a lot of Covid-19 patients and although he has had all the required PPE he has still picked it up. We are working under the impression he contracted it on his way in to work at some point.

Luckily he isn’t too unwell but he has isolated himself from me and the children (we are just lucky to have a second property). That being said we are now in week 2 of our children not seeing their daddy and they aren’t coping too well with that.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Audible is offering free listening for kid's books... including the teen ones, there are some good options. I am listening to Harry Potter. It is narrated by Stephen Fry. https://audible.com
I've got the Harry Potter books all on CD, I could listen to Stephen Fry read them forever!!

I always take them on holiday with my CD walkman and batteries 😂

Reactions: 3
Oh hunny, I am so sorry for you being in this awful situation. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. At least you are so close to you finishing and trying to enjoy the last few months of your pregnancy. Try to see it as halving the risk of bringing it home when it’s just your hubby working. Maybe lock him away when he’s at home? 😂

How about that for timing!! 😂 i’m primary. My head is very ‘by the book’ and has a list of work for us to complete at home each day/week. We all have to work 2 half days per week. I’m lucky that I won’t have a class to send work to and monitor whilst working from home and huge respect to you having to home school too!! My little one is currently having 2x 20 min naps a day... and that’s it 😨 !! I will just have to accept that I will not be as efficient at home, may even say to my head that I’ll just work whilst my little one naps for her 40 minutes spread across the day and see what he says! 😂
We have to do two days too, predominately setting work for after Easter and doing online CPD 🙄 You can only do what you can; I’d definitely email the head. I know the unions would be very supportive too xx

Reactions: 1
Thanks everyone for replies. Spoke too soon RE fever going away - I fell back asleep and now definitely sweaty and feverish again. Part of me really hopes this is a mild case of COVID so my anxiety around catching it will reduce. I’m six months pregnant and been very fearful of it. Don’t feel too awful but definitely have a viral feel.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The morning news said that up to 4,000 prisoners could be released early to prevent strain on local hospitals near prisons. They clarified that no sexual or violent offenders would be released under the scheme

Reactions: 4
Yeah this is true from what I’ve heard.

A small dose of the virus (touching a contaminated surface then your face for example) can act almost like a vaccine and the body can start fighting the virus almost immediately in those with good health.

However -

If you are coming into contact with the virus in close proximity on a daily basis (eg a nurse being coughed on or dealing with bodily fluids with inadequate ppe) your body never gets a chance to build up immunity as you get a huge dose of the virus and whilst your immune system is fighting it off, more of the virus gets ‘thrown’ at you from other infected patients. Your system gets overloaded by virus.

At least this is how it’s been explained to me. Hense why health professionals are so at risk.
So by this measure then obviously we need to practise good hygiene but not obsessive hygiene maybe. So if we’re introduced to it slowly it will help us.

What a 'night out' looks like March 2020

1, going to Sainsburys at 8pm to do your weekly shop
2, standing outside your front door to clap for the NHS.
I requested to visit the midwife rather than her come to me a) so I could speak to her without my children listening but b) so I could leave the house 😂 it was exciting to have a valid reason to leave!

on a separate note are Sweden just getting on with life and seeing what the virus does? I thought I’d heard that. How are their numbers doing?

Last edited:
Same! I don't know how I will fill the time. I need to find some hobbies or things around the house to keep me occupied. Annoyingly we have only recently renovated so there isn't many jobs around the house.
I am too, my last day is today, I am studying for a qualification so have lots to keep me occupied but you should check out futurelearn they have lots of free online courses

Reactions: 1
No more couples shopping in tesco aldi sainsbury's etc only one person allowed now. I find food shopping stressful on my own as it is (anxiety problems) so doesnt look like I'll be going. Might have to alternate weeks so me an husband get a turn at leaving the house

My husband has now tested positive. He’s a an A&E consultant but has been caring for a lot of Covid-19 patients and although he has had all the required PPE he has still picked it up. We are working under the impression he contracted it on his way in to work at some point.

Luckily he isn’t too unwell but he has isolated himself from me and the children (we are just lucky to have a second property). That being said we are now in week 2 of our children not seeing their daddy and they aren’t coping too well with that.
I hope you all stay safe and your husband is well soon x

Sorry to be a downer but is the point not that even if they come up with a vaccine tomorrow there is a set time and series of tests that need to be carried out before it can be rolled out. I.e. they need to observe volunteer who are given the vaccine for a minimum time say a year to check what side effects occur before it can be rolled out.

Which makes sense would you want to take a vaccine that hasn't been properly tested ?
Well I don’t mean we get it right away obviously 🙄 I mean they’ve made a breakthrough in the fight against it .like I’ve said before we’re in this for the long haul ..

That’s not ungrateful. These are difficult times, I think those of us who can still work (or have to) have a right to be scared. It’s a struggle all over. I really hope this lockdown works and people stop arsing about.
Haha, yeh if you're in the UK you get 80% of salary as well so it really works out for the best! (I am starting furlough as of tomorrow and seem to be the only person not hating it lol)

That's quite a confusing article. I assume their modeling results in stopping the spread of the virus with a short term "lockdown"? The virus has spread so much that even a hard lockdown for many more months would make it very difficult to eradicate now it's spread so much.

It's very possible to interpret the figures to suit the headline someone wants to write.

Also from the times today

Boris Johnson’s coronavirus adviser calls for a way out of lockdown
Britain may still need to adopt herd immunity

Britain has “painted itself into a corner” with no clear exit strategy from the coronavirus epidemic and needs to reconsider herd immunity, according to a senior government adviser.

A prolonged lockdown risks causing more suffering than the virus itself, Graham Medley, the government’s chief pandemic modeller, has warned. He said that the country needed to face the trade-off between harming the young versus the old.

Professor Medley, a member of the key scientific body that is guiding the government’s response, told The Times that Britain must consider allowing people to catch the virus in the least deadly way possible rather than letting unemployment, domestic violence and mental ill health mount indefinitely.

His modelling showed that letting people return to work or reopening schools would allow the pandemic to take off again and no way had been found of easing the lockdown while controlling the virus. Only those working outside might be safe to go back to their jobs, he found.

An antibody test, which the government is hoping will prove a “game-changer”, could help but was not working and such a method had never previously been used to manage an epidemic, he said.
the government's strategy, if we can call it that has been a mess. I get that it is obviously a totally new situation for us but they are being so inconsistent it is ridiculous

Not going to be a covidiot, but I'm fighting off the urge to send my other half out to get some fence paint!! Perfect time to do it but it's not really an essential item 😫

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.