Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lumpfish

VIP Member
Unpopular opinion

I won’t lie, seeing all these posts from companies offering NHS workers special treatment is really bothering me. I know they’re doing amazing work and I know how hard they’re all working while putting themselves at risk, but what about those in supermarkets? Or those working long hours in distribution centres to make sure there’s food even on the shelves? Why aren’t they getting recognition too?
This is a really simplistic view to have. Everyone knows that the whole country is working hard but those of us that work in the NHS are exposed to the sickest patients, treating them with invasive methods that increase our exposure to the virus significantly. Posts like this make people seem very bitter. Just be kind.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

freddiesmum09

Up to £2500 per month for those not able to work due to restrictions. I agree with this and commend the govt taking these steps.

Yet some of our most crucial staff (some who were up until a few weeks ago were deemed ‘unskilled’) will be working around the clock during this crisis as the bones of the country and taking home less than that. Some risking their lives on the front line.

And questions will undoubtedly be asked of whether this is okay. Morally, is it okay to have such discrepancies where a nurse on the front line takes home less than someone who works for a really successful business at home unable to work.

No government will want to upset those critical front line staff so I hope we see a proper national living wage rolled out to protect low paid staff working in shops, warehouses, delivery drivers, cleaners etc - and I hope they look hard at jobs in the public sector such as the NHS, teachers, and other front line staff and give a large pay increase due to the hard work, dedication and risk involved- especially for those in hospital settings.

I think this will be the end of capitalism as we know it.

I really can see things becoming nasty and civil unrest.

Last edited:

Emoji

Chatty Member
A friend is a surveyor. An estate agent told him they did a house viewing yesterday and the couple stole 3 loo rolls out the bathroom! 😳🤣

• Haha
  • Wow

coconochanel

VIP Member
Boris is about to come on Ive just ruffled his hair. He said he would give me a cheque I said nah just pay me in toilet rolls, handwash and bread.

• Haha

Jane565

Chatty Member
Can ppl just stop stressing about mothers day please. Mothers know you love them, its just a money making exercise by companies. I was taught to show my love every day and have taught my child the same. The greatest love is keeping them safe and well and just talk on the phone and tell them youre not risking their health by visiting. Even dropping off flowers or chocs might have the virus on them 😊

• Heart

HideTheHunter

Mountain rescue telling people to stay home and don't go hillwalking cos they can't guarantee rescue. Islands off the Scottish coastline saying don't visit. Just how many times do people have to be told just stay at home - this is not a bloody holiday! (sorry if I'm ranty, I just can't believe how dense folk can be. Not Tattlers, obvs, Tattlers are amazing :giggle: )

Reactions: 20

Discolights

VIP Member
I’ve moved in with my Dad for however long (husband works in the NHS, don’t want it passed on)

He’s usually stubborn. Today the post came, he opens it, shakes the letter out, puts the envelope in the bin, and then washes his hands. I felt a weird sense of pride that he’s taking this seriously. Unlike my uncle who thinks corona is a climate change cover up. 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha

Daire

Oh bloody hell, are you ok?
Have you got more symptoms?
My test came back as positive this morning, but it was to be expected as my husband tested positive during the week.

Right now I just have a high temp and feeling drained. Not sleeping well

• Sad

Niamhm

Chatty Member
Off topic slightly but I feel like teachers are really being overlooked here. They are expected to go in to work everyday to look after key workers children (and send their OWN children in to their own schools as they fit the category) - not only are they also overpaid and overworked, they know have to work through their easter holidays and such too. I just think that the virus will not end as the schools will still be busy and believe it not, a lot of parents qualify to be key workers (one class in my sisters school had 15!! Imagine when taking in to account sibling and the other 14 classes).

I would like to add I completely understand WHY they have to work but would be nice to show them a little appreciation. Had my sisters teacher crying at school gates today because she was upset how they were ending the school year and the uncertainty.
So many added discounts for NHS, police and firefighters but nothing for other sectors.
I actually bought some tea bags, hot choc sachets and a few packs of biscuits round to the school when I picked up my daughter, told them it's for the staff who will still be working from next week and the receptionist teared up, causing me to tear up! I'm really happy with how the teachers have kept the kids calm and reassured them.

Also disgusted at the families who have 1 key worker in their family but still willing to send their kids to school unnecessarily! I work evenings and Sundays at a supermarket, my husband works in an office but still has to go to work currently. I could send my child to school but I won't because I am available at home in the day! The selfishness of some in this country has really shown the past few weeks[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 19

Daire

You’re the first person I “know” who has tested positive.
If it’s not too much trouble (or when you feel up to it) perhaps you could give us a timeline of your symptoms, etc.
Do you know how either of you got it? i.e. been abroad, etc or just by normal day to day activities?
I hope I’m not being too intrusive but I think its the fear of the unknown which a lot of us find hard.
No worries if not, just ignore this post.

Wishing you both a speedy recovery xx
Oh wow lol, I will try my best

My husband got it first, he was unwell on mon night into tue morning and we called up the GP. He was tested on wed.
Neither of us were abroad. My husband works in Cork city and I work from home, so im convinced he brought it home (FECKER!)

He isnt the most descriptive person but he looked like crap on paddy's day and he said it felt like flu, he had a sky high temperature and as of yesterday he feels he is exhausted when doing simple things.

My own symptoms were a thumping headache and a pressure type pain behind my eyes and nose. I didn't think much at that point but once I got the chills I knew I was in bother. My temp is 38.9 and when I get out of bed it feels like someone has thrown a bucket of ice water on me, just shaking and shivering in general (apologies i know its not the best description). I have experienced the exhaustion today a little but I am putting that down to not sleeping well.

The test, for anyone wondering is a swab with a long cotton bud type thing up the nose. Its an awful sensation but its done pretty quick.

Last edited:

Good Egg

VIP Member
I’m so glad I have this thread and you guys during these unprecedented times. Happiness during the darkest hours x

• Heart

Horatio

VIP Member
Im not bitter. Being kind would mean everyone is treated the same.
Everyone treated the same would mean us all working 15 hour shifts every single day without so much as time to sit down and at constant risk of catching the virus as well as all the other stresses - fear of running out of equipment one of them as cases steadily increase every day...Surely it’s more than a fair swap on non medical workers behalf if they get a free hot drink too...?

• Heart

50sGirl

VIP Member
thank you 🥰

Bless you guys. It’s next Saturday so by the looks of things everyone will be on lockdown.
Mine is the end of the month. My 50th too. I can’t see many cards coming through my letterbox this year!
My boys (20 and 23) wanted to go out today to buy my Mother’s Day card but I told them to stay home. Told them to make me one instead so goodness knows what they’ll mock up from the internet!

• Haha
  • Heart

Titntat

VIP Member
Right weve officially going into lock down. Social distancing from all other family, only going out when we need to. We are all low risk inc all family and friends how ever I feel like this is the only way to make an impact, and stop it spreading. My partner will still be going to work. He works in a large space with minimal people so will easily be able to keep his distance (him staying home is just not an option, hes our main income as I'm still on mat) . Food shopping only when essential, were stocked up for the next week.

Tomorrow is mothers day. We will be dropping flowers and cards off on door steps. Then going going for a walk with my kids and partner. (Very lucky to have a nation park on our door step, we will be making use of this gorgeous area)

Everyone needs to realise because your feeling fine you could still could still bave it and be spreading it!!!!

Unless drastic social isolation starts to get serious it's going to go on alot longer that in needs to.

Dont be stupid and selfish, take care and stay safe ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart